Did my oil filter clog up and cause damage? Clattering/knocking noise on cold start

Vehicle: 2017 Isuzu Dmax 3.0L 4jj1-tc engine.
Oil: AMSOIL 5w30 dhd max duty diesel.
Oil filter: Isuzu genuine oil filter.
Oil filter ran: 62,000km to 82,000km

Manual specifies change oil and filter 20,000km or 2 years.

So my isuzu's engine started making clattering noise on cold startup around 16,000km on the oil and filter. Thought it was the oil so changed to AMSOIL 10w30 heavy duty diesel. Still made the same clattering noise on startup. When I changed the oil filter at 82,000km the noise went away and sounded smoother on cold startup.

Could I have damaged anything?

If the noise was for a short period and only at cold start-up then the oil filter ADBV was probably leaking. No damage should occur from that.
It sounds more like diesel knock when idling. It sounds like that for the first 15-20mins and goes away completely when engine fully warms up or after being driven hard.

Update:
So i ran my oil filter pretty much in bypass mode for 4k km or 1500mi. Oil filter started getting stuck in bypass mode past 10k mi / 15,000km under service. Changed my oil at this period. Did not change the filter and ran it for another 3 months until I reached 12,000mi / 20,000km of service then changed the filter.

Repeating that the manual interval dictates 20,000km/2 years for oil and filter.

Will this have extensive damage to my engine?

Update:
So i ran my oil filter pretty much in bypass mode for 4k km or 1500mi. Oil filter started getting stuck in bypass mode past 10k mi / 15,000km under service. Changed my oil at this period. Did not change the filter and ran it for another 3 months until I reached 12,000mi / 20,000km of service then changed the filter.

Repeating that the manual interval dictates 20,000km/2 years for oil and filter.

Will this have extensive damage to my engine?
I would not run a filter for 20K Km or 2 yrs, I'd change it every 10K and 1 yr, this cost is nothing compared to damage. That Oil Filter interval may be based on certain types of diesel fuel used for testing purposes, the fuel available to you may be dirtier with more deposits.

Where do you buy Amsoil in the Philippines?
There are plenty of Amsoil dealers here. Bought mine at United Bearing in marikina, plenty of dealers in online stores like lazada/shopee as well.
I would not run a filter for 20K Km or 2 yrs, I'd change it every 10K and 1 yr, this cost is nothing compared to damage. That Oil Filter interval may be based on certain types of diesel fuel used for testing purposes, the fuel available to you may be dirtier with more deposits.
Yes I found out the hard way. if my oil filter clogs at 15,000km then its back to 10,000km oil and filter changes for me. I use Euro5 diesel here and its pretty clean. Found out by checking my fuel filters (primary and secondary) was clean at 30,000km. It will reach the designated 40,000km interval of the manual.

If the noise went away with a new filter, I would not use that filter brand again.

And I would increase the frequency of filter changes.

The quality of whatever filters you are able to buy is not as good as your owners manual presumes.

In general, I like OEM parts. Perhaps you got a bad one.

I would still shorten the interval, since you’ve had a filter fail in that interval. 20K Km isn’t that crazy for a filter life, but your experience, with your truck, in your climate, with your driving, suggests that 20K is too long for a filter.

Yeah, that’s more than diesel clatter. That’s the sound of no oil pressure on start up. It settles down after a few seconds, but I wouldn’t want my truck sounding like that on every start.

In general, I like OEM parts. Perhaps you got a bad one.

I would still shorten the interval, since you’ve had a filter fail in that interval. 20K Km isn’t that crazy for a filter life, but your experience, with your truck, in your climate, with your driving, suggests that 20K is too long for a filter.
Yes its back to 10,000km/6k mi oil changes to me. Now I'm just anxious about how much wear i put on the motor since i left the filter there for approx 4 months since it started making that knocking sound.

Vehicle: 2017 Isuzu Dmax 3.0L 4jj1-tc engine.
Oil: AMSOIL 5w30 dhd max duty diesel.
Oil filter: Isuzu genuine oil filter.
Oil filter ran: 62,000km to 82,000km

Manual specifies change oil and filter 20,000km or 2 years.

So my isuzu's engine started making clattering noise on cold startup around 16,000km on the oil and filter. Thought it was the oil so changed to AMSOIL 10w30 heavy duty diesel. Still made the same clattering noise on startup. When I changed the oil filter at 82,000km the noise went away and sounded smoother on cold startup.

Could I have damaged anything?
I would cut the oci in half fresh oil is best for a engine .

In general, diesel generate more soot which means the oil filter will be full faster.
I am not sure what the Isuzu branded filter media is.
You may want to cut it up and look at it.

Did you mean the bypass valve, not the the ADBV? :)
No, what blufeb95 said above.

The filter bypass valve isn't going to cause engine noise unless the filter is very clogged and the bypass valve flow area is way too small causing the oil pump to hit pressure relief at low flow output, and then cause oil starvation to the engine. Highly unlikely. The OP is in the Philippians, so it's not a cold thick oil factor.

Last edited:
Back