Did Mobil 1 recently change the synth. ATF fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at AAP B&M store and I notice two different colored bottles of M1 synthetic ATF. Both Dexron/Mercon V I think. One is black, one is silver, both say the same thing except on the front of the silver bottle it says "New and improved" or some such. On the back of this bottle, under the specs it meets, it is IDENTICAL to the black bottle of M1 synth ATF in all but 1 single one. The silver bottle lists some kind of Chrysler spec. Other than that, the two list are the same. Very long list btw.

Anyhow, there are only 2 bottles of the silver stuff. I'm assuming they are a new formula since it says new on the front and has one more spec, but something was strange. The 2 silver bottles were very dusty. So I ask the guy and he come out. They have TONS of the black bottle and the bottles look new and clean. He swears the black bottles JUST came in, they just got them and they are the new bottles.

So I'm confused. Did M1 change their synthetic ATF to a lesser quality one, or is the guy mixed up? The silver bottles say "New Improved" on the front and have the Chrysler spec on the back but there are only 2 of those bottles, total. I need 12.

M1 did change their formula when they still used the old silver bottle and it states "New Formula" on the top of the bottle. I still have one of those. To keep their product line consistant they recently changed all of their bottles to be the same design. That's the new back bottle they now have. Those two silver bottles is the same oil as the new bottles.
As for the quality, I have used their M1 ATF since they first came out with it in the early 90s I think and it is very good ATF.

Bottom line, use either all that they have.

While I'm at it... I run 0w-30 synth M1 in my wifes SUV. I did this for the winter, switching to 0w-40 M1 for the summer. Going to put this M1 synth ATF fluid in the tranny (it is a brand new tranny, with about 1k miles on it). The engine has 176k on it.

Anyhow, I need to change out the differential fluid. Was just gonna do the M1 sweep. So is the M1 synth 75w-90 the right kind, or should I go 140? It is a 2001 GMC Jimmy 4 door, 2 wheel drive with a 4.3l V-6. Lots of short and medium trips. Halls her and 3 kids around all day here there everywhere. She drives pretty tough sometimes. I tell her to let it warm up but she's on the go go go. lol. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Mobile 1 does have more than 1 synthetic ATF (as I recently saw in the stores. My car takes Mazda ATF M-V (Type M5) and when looking at the Mobile 1 products, there are 2 Mobile 1 products; 1 in a gray bottle with the designation of Mercon 5 and a second one with Mobile 1 ATF (which is a multivehicle synthetic ATF).

Originally Posted By: cclngthr
Mobile 1 does have more than 1 synthetic ATF (as I recently saw in the stores. My car takes Mazda ATF M-V (Type M5) and when looking at the Mobile 1 products, there are 2 Mobile 1 products; 1 in a gray bottle with the designation of Mercon 5 and a second one with Mobile 1 ATF (which is a multivehicle synthetic ATF).

To my knowledge there is only one M1 ATF. However XM does have other ATFs, but they are not labled M1 ATF.

johnny you are absolutely, 100% totally right. i have to admit, i was under the mistaken belief that both DexVI and 3309 were required to be full syn in the spec.

always enjoy learning from the master.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 ATF still has a PP of -65F. I noticed in my Fords that the tranny shifts very good even at -5F. Here's a link on the PP.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.asp

From the datasheet....> Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -41C Mercon formula has a ASTM pour point of -48C.

While cold-weather perfomance isn't the only important factor. I don't think that the premium-price of the current M1 ATF is justified compared to other quality ATF's both synthetic and mineral.

Originally Posted By: cclngthr

So, which did you choose?

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 ATF still has a PP of -65F. I noticed in my Fords that the tranny shifts very good even at -5F. Here's a link on the PP.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.asp

From the datasheet....> Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -41C div>

My bottle of M1 Syn ATF says "Provides outstanding low temperature performance down to -55F or -48C" I'm guessing if the pour point was -41C the performance at -48C wouldn't be outstanding. It's a silver bottle with no real specs or grades on it. It just states "intended for older Ford and GM vehicles" what ever that means. I hate it when they put useless info on the label ("engineered for racing" for example).

My M1 ATF bottle doesn't say anything like what you are saying. Also their web site says M1 ATF provides prompt and reliable lubrication down to -54C or -65F.
What info would you like to see on the label?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back