Did Mobil 1 change their filter design?

I have been running their filters for years. I ordered a few off Amazon and I noticed the can was different, the top plate was different and inside is different including the spring and rubber. My filters is the M1-113A.

So either Mobil 1 changed them or I got two counterfeit filters. Just curous to know if anyone else noticed anything different. 20210404_135025.jpg20210404_135045.jpg

Last edited:
In the pics attached the older one has a scan code on the label where as the ones I ordered off Amazon in Jan don't.

Some good reading:

I'd go with the one with the scan code, it looks like the manufacturer keeps track of batches etc whereas the other doesn't and doesn't appear to me as being as serious about its product.

Oil filters often change design. What's important is their efficiency at a particular micron and how constant that remains/improves/worsens. But it doesn't mean you purchased a counterfeit. Same goes for motor oil formulations. This industry is fluid ( no pun ).

^^^ Yes, those pictured in that thread was a change in filter design by Champ Labs. However, filters pictured there are Champs Labs made filters. The left shows the newer Champ Labs/ACDelco hybird ecore design. The one on right the older all metal M1-104, still though they're both Champ Labs made.

As noted, several times this thread, M1 now has a completely new manufacturer. Champ Labs no longer in the M1 OF manufacture picture. From the OPs pics, new M1 filter from new manufacturer shown on right. That being case, that's what the OP is referencing regarding, 'design change'.

A few years ago an BITOG member sent me some M1-209 oil filters to use on my donated OCI's for the needy. We used a few and donated the rest of them to my church.
A few months after that I was in WM and noticed the M1-209 now had an "A" following the 209. I even made a post here but don't think anyone really knew if it were a new M1 design.
Just recently my son did an OCI with a M1-209A filter on my truck, that he bought from WM. Again I ask, is it the same as the old M1-209, or a totally redesigned oil filter? :unsure:

^^^ Yes, those pictured in that thread was a change in filter design by Champ Labs. However, filters pictured there are Champs Labs made filters. The left shows the newer Champ Labs/ACDelco hybird ecore design. The one on right the older all metal M1-104, still though they're both Champ Labs made.

As noted, several times this thread, M1 now has a completely new manufacturer. Champ Labs no longer in the M1 OF manufacture picture. From the OPs pics, new M1 filter from new manufacturer shown on right. That being case, that's what the OP is referencing regarding, 'design change'.
Got it. Thanks for the distinction.

Just recently my son did an OCI with a M1-209A filter on my truck, that he bought from WM. Again I ask, is it the same as the old M1-209, or a totally redesigned oil filter? :unsure:
The "A" means there were changes made. IIRC, Mobil had some info on their website at one time about the "A" model of their filters.

The "A" means there were changes made. IIRC, Mobil had some info on their website at one time about the "A" model of their filters.
Thanks Z06.
I just called M1 {1-919-926-4210) and the female CS rep. took my name and cell # and said she will research my Q?'s and call me back.
I asked her;
1) What did the "A" represent.
2) Has the bypass valve changed on the "A" filters.
3) Are there now louvers instead of holes in the center tube.
To be continued................ :unsure:

^^^

Have additional questions about our oil filters?

Call our Oil Filter Hotline:
1-800-526-4250

Info on "A" vs non-"A" oil filters. "A" filters are 20K filters vs 15K for non-"A" filters.

when Mobil 1 (filter) added the "A" it was during the time that Mobil was hawking that new Mobil 1 as well...Annual Protection I think it was...at the time I believe the "A" stood for Annual to go along with the oil...

I have bought several of the Mobil 1 "A filters at Walmart and at the time they appeared the same to me as the older non "A" filter...the current "A filter available at Walmart appears different than my last new Mobil 1 "A" filter (purchased a few a couple years ago)...my leftover filter appears like the one on the left in the pics in the first post and the newest one I've seen at Walmart appears like the one on the right...

Bill

Last edited:
Back