Did MMO kill my mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Usually buy Gulf Dieselect. Got valero from across the highway, which Ive used extensively in the past.

Usually I use tcw-3 orredline adds. This time I used MMO. Aaded 4 oz to what was ultimately a 16-gal fillup.

I lost 6 MPG on the tank! Went back to gulf and tcw-3 and was back up to normal.

Sure this was only one tank and one time, and will have to see. Ive never had an issue with valero in the past, Im afraid that MMO desnt work well in IDI diesels.

Ill have to run some experiments... This suprisses me though all the same - big difference!

Anyone else notice an issue with MMO in diesel?

i beleive MMO is actually less effective in diesels if you do a search, but 6mpg is a bit much to drop. perhaps it was a bad run of fuel from their tanks.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i dont think mmo would do that but i dont think gulf is a quality gasoline if i am wrong please correct me

Im talking diesel. Gulf gives great mileage... I had bought valero last, which ive never had an issue with in the past. The only difference is I added MMO.

I ran down to the light, then refilled with gulf again and back to normal.

Agreed. I have plenty of tanks with gulf and valero with consistent MPG. Need to run some of gulf with MMO and see...

So far it is just an interesting oddball situation.

Maybe you got some low cetane fuel causing fuel mileage to drop. I just run the stanadyne lubricity formula with every tank and that takes care of any lubricity issues. It only costs about a dollar per tank which for me is about 29-30 gallons. Just don't buy fuel from that station anymore. Luckily your older diesel is more forgiving fuel system wise to [censored] fuel. You won't have to mess with tc-w3 oils anymore just use the standadyne and dump about 4 ounces into each tank. Which diesel do you have, just curious?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting, and a big difference.....did you do any excessive idling perhaps this fill up that you didn't previously? No CEL?

And what year Gulf? I noticed the MMO states it's not "approved" for vehicles calling for Ultra Low Sulfur diesel.....

The diesel is a 1982 MB 300CD with 162k miles. The fuel station is Gulf. There is no such thing as a CEL on my vehicle.

I tried MMO twice in E430, first 4oz per 10 gallon then 2oz, both times the mileage went down about 2-3% and engine wasn't as smooth. The second tank after MMO the engine was much smoother and mileage went back up to normal range.

Many drivers have good experience with MMO in gas tank, but not me.

i have heard that regular mmo is not for diesels. it would best to stay with products made for diesel. bet i heard it on this site.

Originally Posted By: morris
i have heard that regular mmo is not for diesels. it would best to stay with products made for diesel. bet i heard it on this site.

Was thinking that myself. Did a fast search around but couldn't find that info showing MMO wasn't for diesels.

MMO is usable in Diesel engines....but they have a note on the bottle that the MMO is not "compatible" with the latest "ULSD" requirements in vehicles 2006 (or is it 2007....?) and later. Basically, meaning you could potentially void your vehicle warranty if you had a claim and the manufacturer found you used MMO in the gasoline.

From the marvelmysteryoil.com site:
Quote:
Can I use Marvel Mystery Oil® with diesel fuel and if so, how much do I use?
Yes, you can use MMO in diesel fuel as well as gasoline. Use the same amounts as the gasoline treatment recommendations-4ozs of MMO for every 10 gallons of fuel. However, MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

Is MMO compatible with BioDiesel?
Yes, MMO is compatible with BioDiesel and will provide the same benefits as when added to typical fuels.

Will the use of MMO in diesel fuel change the color so that it is easily confused with off-road diesel fuel?
When MMO is used in the recommended amounts in diesel fuel, it will not change the color. Off-road diesel fuel is dyed a bright red using a specific dye and concentration. Neither the dye used in MMO nor the concentration are the same as that used in off-road diesel fuel.

This may be a good question to ask at the marvel forums......Marvel themselves are generally very quick to respond to posts.

my mistake, went to mmos site, it looks like mmo recmends mmo for diesel. but i did see test that showed mmo makes diesel less lubraction. sorry i dont know where it was

MMO is diesel rated and says so on the label.

I dont have any requirement for ULSD. If I could buy LSD, I would. My engine is completely mechanical with no controls besides EGR.

I have a host of other adds. Dont need to select any new ones. Just need to see if MMO had a bad effect...

Ill start that next tank - Gulf diesel and MMO... See what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back