Did I replace the steering rack for no reason?

1999 Taurus with 65,000 miles. I replaced the pump 2 years ago. Then lately it was starting to whine and I had to top it up nearly every time I drove it, plus there was plenty of smoke coming from under hood as the fluid dripped on the converter. Figured it was the rack leaking, but if you know these cars, there isn't much room to get a visual inspection of the rack. So I just replaced the rack, and the high pressure hose for good measure. $200 in parts. At least I didn't take it to a shop where the bill would have been over $1000. Anyway, get it back together and go for a drive, and it's still leaking somewhere. Maybe I didn't tighten the hoses? From up top I could get a better view, and see this,

IMG_8254.JPG

the pressure switch looks to be leaking. Nothing above it with red fluid that might leak on to it like that. Is this a common issue with these?

Engine running, have someone turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and hold it there so pressure builds up, and you should be able to see it leaking out.

DO NOT put your hands near active hydraulic leaks!

Last edited:
Cardone takes a Ford rack and replaces the seals here in the US of A. I'd rather have a rebuilt Ford rack with Chinese seals than a new all Chinese copy of a Ford rack.

My '02 leaks out of the bottom of the reservoir, where it meets the metal. Very slow leak, I top off every 3-6 months depending on whether it burps or not due to having air in it. Can't bleed it, air comes in through the leak. 😁 Fk it!

Cardone takes a Ford rack and replaces the seals here in the US of A. I'd rather have a rebuilt Ford rack with Chinese seals than a new all Chinese copy of a Ford rack.
I am no fan of Chicom stuff in general but some of their automotive parts are very good and today it is almost unavoidable for domestic and Japanese stuff, even some Euro parts OE are coming from eastern European countries or China.
If one of these auto parts chains was a starter or alternator for example they can retail for $100 and pay $40-50 they can and will build that but they can also build the same parts in much higher quality for OE. I have found their machine work to generally be impeccable and in spec on eg wheel bearing hubs and iron knuckles.

I am no fan of Chicom stuff in general but some of their automotive parts are very good and today it is almost unavoidable for domestic and Japanese stuff, even some Euro parts OE are coming from eastern European countries or China.
If one of these auto parts chains was a starter or alternator for example they can retail for $100 and pay $40-50 they can and will build that but they can also build the same parts in much higher quality for OE. I have found their machine work to generally be impeccable and in spec on eg wheel bearing hubs and iron knuckles.

Next time put some uv dye in the system to pinpoint the leak.

Back