Did I made a mistake?

I don't think you made a mistake gas much better than electric faster cooking times and is probably cheaper to heat the gas hot water heater vs electric.

Living in Florida is much different. There is gas here, but not too many people need it to heat their home with.

I never thought I'd like an all electric home, but it's the only way to go here. Heat pumps provide plenty of comfort in the "winter", from October till May, my electric bill is under $100.00/month. Yes in the summer it can go to $160.00/mo or so. The peace of mind that comes with knowing your house is NOT going to blow up from a leak, or that you won't get Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a faulty appliance is always there in the back of your mind. Very comforting.

Now to the quoted remark. Induction electric ranges/cooktops beat gas in cooking efficiency as well as speed. Only the pot gets heated, not the air around it. No waste heat of any kind.
It's also easier to control, with digital readouts for the heat settings. Some top end units can even display the temperature of the pan/skillet if you need that.

A very interesting question. Around here, gas used in small quantity costs more than electricity due to the large added fee's. On my last gas bill (furnace only) the actual cost of the gas used was the least expensive line item on the bill!

Be careful with a gas stove and oven. If your house is small, and fairly air tight, it is possible to get a build up of carbon monoxide (CO). If there is a range hood, make sure it vents outside and use it. And you should have a CO detector in the house too.

Gas is very nice to cook with. It is the heat source of choice for nearly all professional cooks.

No you did not make a mistake. I've lived with both and I'd go with gas any day of the week. For cooking it's really unmatched since it doesn't take time to get to full power like electric does, you also burn food less with it, it's a no brainer. Electric is old or for places that want to cover their [censored] (apartment complexes that don't want fires).

I think gas is probably cheaper too. The other benefit is gas works when the power is out, you just need a fire source to ignite.

One of the first things we did after moving was convert from electric range & dryer to gas. I wish I had asked about the cost of piping first but in the end, trivial cost for what will be decades of service.

$16.50 is kinda cheap in the scheme of things. Is this the rental fee on a tank or is it piped in somehow from the street?

It's way easier to simmer food with gas vs electric. Electric uses pulse-width-modulation which just turns the burner on and off quickly. With gas, you can judge the flame. You can light the stovetop with a match if the power's out, and, as said, even the oven just needs a little electricity for the glow plug/ igniter.

Up here being in a municipal natural gas territory makes the house worth more, as it's the cheapest heat by far. The rest of us have to get #2 oil, or, worse, kerosene delivered.

Homeowning starts off expensive but if you grin and bear it it pays off. I owned my house outright at age 42.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
It's way easier to simmer food with gas vs electric. Electric uses pulse-width-modulation which just turns the burner on and off quickly. With gas, you can judge the flame. You can light the stovetop with a match if the power's out, and, as said, even the oven just needs a little electricity for the glow plug/ igniter.

I'm sorry, this is wrong. Many ranges REQUIRE electricity to run the oven...some even require it for the burners.

Gas appliances will last longer.. and overall consume less.. it's a win win either way owning a home sure beats renting.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I'm sorry, this is wrong. Many ranges REQUIRE electricity to run the oven...some even require it for the burners.

You guys should get an Aga stove. It's always on so you don't have to worry about needing electricity to turn it on or off although I think some models use electricity for the heating on top.

Anyway most basic gas stoves just use electricity for the igniters for the burners, but you will still get gas coming out, you just need matches to light it. You do need electricity for the oven though, most are electronic controls so you need electricity for it to be on. As for heating, I still have an old boiler that uses a standing pilot so no electricity needed for that one, but most of my other ones are electronic ignition so you still need electricity for heat, especially if it's forced hot air.

Both of my gas cooktops have electric starters but can be lit with a stick lighter
I have never tried the gas oven in the outside unit

Originally Posted by Wolf359

You guys should get an Aga stove. It's always on so you don't have to worry about needing electricity to turn it on or off although I think some models use electricity for the heating on top.

Anyway most basic gas stoves just use electricity for the igniters for the burners, but you will still get gas coming out, you just need matches to light it. You do need electricity for the oven though, most are electronic controls so you need electricity for it to be on. As for heating, I still have an old boiler that uses a standing pilot so no electricity needed for that one, but most of my other ones are electronic ignition so you still need electricity for heat, especially if it's forced hot air.

I haven't seen a gas or oil furnace that worked with no power in decades. Gas HEATERS, yes...actual furnaces, no. Even the ancient converted coal burner in my old house needed power to run.

Even the ancient converted coal burner in my old house needed power to run.

Exactly. Many years ago my brother had an old converted coal furnace in his house. These were strictly gravity heat! no blower of any kind! During a weeklong power outage, we ran the thing off of a 12V car battery! This would allow the thermostat and the fuel solenoid to work. Since it was a "standing pilot" (no safeties of any kind back then) the unit ran perfectly!
Kids today don't know what they're missing!
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JohnG
Even the ancient converted coal burner in my old house needed power to run.

Exactly. Many years ago my brother had an old converted coal furnace in his house. These were strictly gravity heat! no blower of any kind! During a weeklong power outage, we ran the thing off of a 12V car battery! This would allow the thermostat and the fuel solenoid to work. Since it was a "standing pilot" (no safeties of any kind back then) the unit ran perfectly!
Kids today don't know what they're missing!
grin.gif

Man do i remember those my grandmother had one converted to gas , when that thing was on if you walked on the floor grate it would burn your feet.

No, you are not paying attention: it would NOT run without power! (I think the oil feed had a pump.) The replacement boiler also would not run without power.

No, you are not paying attention: it would NOT run without power! (I think the oil feed had a pump.) The replacement boiler also would not run without power.

I have an old gas steam boiler. It uses the millivolt system, doesn't use any power and nothing is plugged in. The modern ones use an electronic low water cut off and have automatic water feeders. But this is so old, it just uses a float for the low water cut off and there's no automatic water feed although I did have an older boiler once that used a McDonnell & Miller 47-2 which was a mechanical auto water feeder. It's a standing pilot and you have to hold the pilot button in for a while to heat up the thermocouple so that the gas valve for the pilot light stays on. It's probably 25-30 years old at this point, should see if there's a program now to replace it with a new one.

The fees you are talking about are a one time thing, the 16.50 a month customer charge is reasonable. The electric company charges a customer fee as well. I would kill to have natural gas.

When we bought our place it was all electric, with electric resistance heating. There was a propane tank out back for the sunroom heater and one by the shop for heat. At some point I hadn't got a refill for a long time and they come and took the tanks since they were owned by the company, which was fine because they were empty and I wasn't planning on refilling them (this is after the winter where propane went up to almost 5.00 a gallon IF you could even get it!)

The electric bills at first were 400 to 500 bucks during the coldest month of winter.

We upgraded to a high efficiency heat pump and it really helped the electric bills, now our average winter bill is 250 a month and it hasn't been more than 300 since the heat pump.

Natural Gas Is by far the cheapest overall way to heat a house, cook ect...

If we had natural gas I would have a heated garage, and our shop would still have heat.

Our old house had Propane heat. NEVER AGAIN! Seemed like it was always time to get propane, at 500 to 700 a pop, and the price fluctuated dramatically.

A few years ago people were Paying almost 5.00 a gallon for propane and you almost couldn't get any. I was glad we were all electric at that point but Propane NEVER AGAIN!!

I deal with no natural gas since we live in the country, there is no way I would live in town with no natural gas service. There are 2 small towns near us where people are living right by each other and have propane tanks. I cannot imagine paying the price for propane and living in town....

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
I forgot to mention cooking on an electric stove is terrible! I have gotten used to it, but there is a reason they say "Now were cooking with gas!"

You should try a modern induction cook top. Heats much faster, more even and significantly less waste heat than gas. Love mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
I forgot to mention cooking on an electric stove is terrible! I have gotten used to it, but there is a reason they say "Now were cooking with gas!"

You should try a modern induction cook top. Heats much faster, more even and significantly less waste heat than gas. Love mine.

...until you discover that half your pans no longer actually get hot.

...until you discover that half your pans no longer actually get hot.

Mostly correct. Aluminum pans won't work unless they have a steel disc molded in which is not very common. Copper bottom pots, like Revereware (remember those) won't work either. They are collectors items today anyway.
BUT, most stainless, and ALL steel pans will work. Anything that is magnetic will work just fine. I just use my coated aluminum pans on the side burner of my grill, no big deal.

Induction puts all other cooking methods, even gas, to shame. Much safer, cleaner, faster, easier to control.

No, you are not paying attention: it would NOT run without power! (I think the oil feed had a pump.)

You actually didn't specify that this particular furnace was converted to oil. You did mention "gas or oil".

Back