Did Chevron 15w40 change their formula

Changed oil yesterday and I had an older jug of chevron, maybe 6-8 months old and a newer jug, 3-4 months and they were completely different consistencies. The older oil was thicker and heavier. The older oil was in the old jug they been using for 20 years. The new oil was in the new style jug.

Anyone know if they changed the formula? Both were the same oil. Same certifications listed on the jugs.

Changed oil yesterday and I had an older jug of chevron, maybe 6-8 months old and a newer jug, 3-4 months and they were completely different consistencies. The older oil was thicker and heavier. The older oil was in the old jug they been using for 20 years. The new oil was in the new style jug.

Anyone know if they changed the formula? Both were the same oil. Same certifications listed on the jugs.
No change on the existing part numbers, but a couple of 15w40 delo offerings new in the last year. www.oronite.com

With Chevron Delo,
Blue jug is conventional oil
Dark Gray is syn blend
Silver jug is full syn

There is a full syn 15W40 Delo that was introduced this year and Walmart is pushing it. It has a significantly better cold flow than the conventional Delo, that's why I asked the OP if he was comparing blue jug to blue jug

And all common formulations of Delo are CK-4/SN.....Chevron is big into the mixed fleet (like municipal) market

With Chevron Delo,
Dark Gray is syn blend
Silver jug is full syn

There is a full syn 15W40 Delo that was introduced this year and Walmart is pushing it. It has a significantly better cold flow than the conventional Delo, that's why I asked the OP if he was comparing blue jug to blue jug

And all common formulations of Delo are CK-4/SN.....Chevron is big into the mixed fleet (like municipal) market
Even the conventional chevron 15w40 has very impressive cold flow numbers.

This was the only delo I saw at my Wal Mart near Ohio border

Attachments

• 4864BFE7-F4A0-49CC-B619-1B45D467E2BA.jpg
    4864BFE7-F4A0-49CC-B619-1B45D467E2BA.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
With Chevron Delo,
Dark Gray is syn blend
Silver jug is full syn

That synthetic 15w40 Delo looks very much like a 10w40, if the CCS was slightly better.

absent laboratory testing any opinions expressed on this subject are about as objective as someone trying to have creation theory included a science curricula :cool:

I have some in my 2010 Scion right now. Will be posting a 15K OCI on it around April or May. Will compare it to the Delvac 1300 I ran before it for 15K miles. Chevron was talking it up saying how it outperformed the competitions syn-blends so I decided to try some. Got some in my wife's Mazda CX-9 as well.

Both  blue jug 15W40's?
Sorry I haven’t gotten any email alerts for responses.

Yes both were blue jugs. Just a couple of them were the older style like 2020 square corner jugs and then the rest were newer rounded style jugs. Also, which seems odd, but when I fill the sump the level is usually just over full, this time it was just below full. Dunno why, I mean a gallon should be a gallon right?

That's odd. Are you sure both are the same part number? Perhaps the older one is much older, as in the previous CJ-4 spec?

Other than that I got nuthin, except for my opinion that the Delo CK-4 is dog's breath.

Yes both were blue jugs. Just a couple of them were the older style like 2020 square corner jugs and then the rest were newer rounded style jugs. Also, which seems odd, but when I fill the sump the level is usually just over full, this time it was just below full. Dunno why, I mean a gallon should be a gallon right

Yes both were blue jugs. Just a couple of them were the older style like 2020 square corner jugs and then the rest were newer rounded style jugs. Also, which seems odd, but when I fill the sump the level is usually just over full, this time it was just below full. Dunno why, I mean a gallon should be a gallon right?
The current Delo XDE PDS was updated in March of 22.....I don't have an older one to compare it to though. So maybe there was an tweak to the formula.

That's odd. Are you sure both are the same part number? Perhaps the older one is much older, as in the previous CJ-4 spec?

Other than that I got nuthin, except for my opinion that the Delo CK-4 is dog's breath.

Then that’s just your opinion. To me that means jack squat.

As formulations change I don’t think their making a inferior product; in fact I think they make a better product

Can you elaborate why you feel this way about CK4 Delo?

I’m estimating that I’ve been using Delo 400 SDE and XLE 15W40 for at least 500,000 miles in my Detroit Series 60 engine. I’m an Owner-Operator Truck Driver, and my truck travels from Eastern Idaho to the South East U.S., and back, weighing close to 80,000 pounds in each direction. Its odometer now reads over 750,000 miles, and it’s running great.

In my opinion, Rotella, Delvac, Guardol, and Delo are all excellent HDEOs. I’ve ran all of them, either as a Company Driver, or as an Owner-Operator, and I’ve never had an oil related engine failure.

Back