Diagnosis: Rust (under the hood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got any trips planned for this year down south?

I'd take a trip in the truck to Florida or South Carolina and pick up a used hood and toss it in the back and strap it down.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Im kind of thinking perhaps a shop like Maaco might be the best bet if I buy a brand new replacement hood and get their best paint service.

So you want to spend $500+ on a $1000 truck to fix whats basically a cosmetic issue? I don't think it makes much sense.

Says the guy who spent hundreds, if not thousands on repairs for an Oldsmobile.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Can you elaborate on the gaps and fit?

There are plenty of aftermarket hoods that are CAPA certified for what that's worth. Less than $300 on eBay delivers one to my door.

I was looking at removal. I'm used to my Mercedes cars where there are two bolts to attach the hood to the hinge, then a complex hinge mechanism.

Looking at my truck, it seems like the hood is welded to the flange that bolts to the body, and there's just one bolt on each side that serves as the hinge point as well.

Someone told me to hold onto the hardware as it is unique, and you have to reuse it to get the alignment right. Not sure if it's unique to the body or to the hood??

Any thoughts?

Yea it is a little weird the top portion of the hinge is spot welded to the hood. I know the other portion of the hinge is on the fenders, but I don't think any part is unique. Removal and replacement isn't that difficult.

That's a little strange about the rust on the hood, my truck is WAAAY rustier than yours and the hood is fine (having a hard time keeping rockers on mine though, lol). I'm pretty sure you can find a rust free one at the junkyard, that will also probably yield better alignment. As far as the rest of the truck, ehhhh, I'm having a helluva time finding a rust free front clip around here (fenders, bumper, grille). People drive those things into the ground...

Originally Posted by Delta

That's a little strange about the rust on the hood, my truck is WAAAY rustier than yours and the hood is fine (having a hard time keeping rockers on mine though, lol).

JHZR2, is your truck parked in the same spot all the time? And is that spot over gravel, ground or concrete?

I think if it sits over the same spot of ground you get more condensation and the ground never dried out as well after rain. Move it around every week.

If you keep it on concrete, then i have no idea why it's rusting.

I know you want to keep it, and you say it's great everyplace else, but... Is it really mint underneath?

Nothing lasts forever, and it's always hard to let go of a first love. But does it really love you back, and does it really pull its own weight? I've gotten rid of a few things over the years that hurt to do so--and afterwards realized I was better for it. Just an object, after all.

That said, your choice. No need to justify it, or rebut my objection, I just have to be contrary--it's BITOG after all.

If it was me I'd just shoot some FF on it and call it a day. Put off the repair for a few years. I'm not sure how big of a hole that is, but I have to wonder if it's really repairable. I like elejefino's idea of finding a local hood in the color. Might take a while but I suspect you are in no hurry. I think paint shops can color match, so it wouldn't have to be same color.

I know I'm late back to the party...

I am pretty sure you should be able to get an GM hood, it is worth a shot anyway.

I would always choose used OEM over Aftermarket (CAPA or NOT) assuming I could get good used. Also be aware that there is a very good chance that a new hood (GM or AM) will probably not be perfect, it is not usual for them to get damaged along the way.

For a twenty year old, hardly used truck, my first thought is to clean the rust and prime. Holes should be cleaned and apply something to the underside like muffler tape or tack thin sheet metal followed by filler on top. It sounds hokey but why spend a lot of time and money?

Just like the old days when one had a hole in the muffler, a coffee can cut and wired into place could go years.

Unless you can get a clean hood from the junkyard for dirt cheap this is what I would consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back