Painting the under-hood release lever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had occasion to check the oil yesterday on the '16 (it was fine). But that under-hood release lever is hard to find! The hood comes up an inch from the use of the inside lever. But everything is black under the hood at that point, and if sunlight is shining outside, you really have to paw around under there to find the second lever.

On my 2011 Regal I painted the lever with craft-store paint in bright yellow. It worked better than leaving the lever stock, but the paint never really covered the surface well even after 2-3 coats. I figure to try this:

Sandpaper the little lever to make it easier for the paint to adhere

Apply 1-2 coats of flat white as a base

Apply 1-2 coats of yellow

Now I'm not waving any cans of spray paint around under there; my plan includes taping some newspaper in place to protect the nose of the car, and using brush paint. Are there any bright-colored engine enamel paints I could use? Rustoleum? Of course I could always use touch-up paint. Will that stand up to the under-hood temps?

And what grade of sandpaper should I use?

Use 400 grit sandpaper and go buy a bottle of cheap bright nail polish at the dollar store. It already has the brush. Degrease it with alcohol or acetone before you paint it.

Or put a strip of bright colored duck tape on it. The downside is you will probably need to put a new strip on every year or so.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Use 400 grit sandpaper and go buy a bottle of cheap bright nail polish at the dollar store. It already has the brush. Degrease it with alcohol or acetone before you paint it.

I see some bright yellow on Dollar Tree's site, so it ought to be available at the stores. Will it cover in 1-2 coats?

ETA: I just checked. The lever is metal, not plastic, if that matters.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Originally Posted by Elkins45

I see some bright yellow on Dollar Tree's site, so it ought to be available at the stores. Will it cover in 1-2 coats?

ETA: I just checked. The lever is metal, not plastic, if that matters.

Probably. If not then just touch it up in a couple of years. Maybe put on a base coat of white first - will cost you $2 instead of $1
smile.gif

The degreasing is more important than the sanding IMO. Any kind of paint likes a clean surface to adhere to.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Or put a strip of bright colored duck tape on it. The downside is you will probably need to put a new strip on every year or so.

Duct tape has the very real advantage that you would be able to find it by touch even in the dark. This is probably the best way to go. In fact, I'm going to do this to my vehicles.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How do you think a blind man would find the lever? You should be able to find it by feel alone.

Nice.

Originally Posted by blupupher
How do you think a blind man would find the lever? You should be able to find it by feel alone.

Why is a blind man opening my hood?

Or driving my car???!!!

Sure; that's how I did it yesterday. Now I want to improve the situation.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Why is a blind man opening my hood?

Or driving my car???!!!

I'd swear half the drivers around here are blind.

Sure; that's how I did it yesterday. Now I want to improve the situation.

But then you would have to bend your neck or back to look down in there and possibly injure yourself unless you're a midget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back