Dexron VI in a 2007 Honda 5AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a Saturn SUV with the Honda transmission. I assumed it takes Dexron VI since it's a GM product so I flushed and changed it with a total of 17 quarts. Just read that it actually takes Z1. Thoughts? I see Valvoline Maxlife can be used in Honda's with Z1 as well as GM with D6 so why should there be a problem using D6 in a Honda?

Z1 was really nothing special when it came to ATF. It was Honda's Brand DexIII and using data points from this site, it sheared quickly. That would be similar to other mineral based ATF's including Dex II/III.

Similar to other synthetics like Max Life, DexVI starts at a lower viscosity but has greater shear stability, ie., will hold it closer to starting viscosity than DexIII. So, I think you are fine with Dex VI and I wouldn't touch it.

I've run full syn MaxLife and mineral based Castrol Transmax Import in two Hondas specing Z1 including an 01 Civic still with original trans and 250K+ miles. Mostly now I'm running ML in 07 Accord specing Z1, and like Dex VI it has a lower viscosity than spec Z1 or Dex III. No issues.

In short, imo you're good.

Z1 was Hondas DexIII equivalent, and they said different add pack which I can't dispute. Honda said in OM, you shouldn't use Dex III except in emergency and then switch back. I used Z1 for ~165k in the Civic with single d&fs and ~25k as FF in Accord until superseded by DW1. Then went to mostly ML since.

In my observation on this forum, for whatever reason(s) Z1 was one the most criticized ATFs. Anyway, I agree that the OP using Dex VI is an upgrade from the spec Z1.

17 quarts is a lot though, must have done multiple d&fs. I've only done single d&f's at ~25-30k miles. Takes about 3 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
17 quarts is a lot though, must have done multiple d&fs.

This. Over 100,000 miles and probably never changed before.

I did my mom's '07 Saturn Vue (with the GM 4T45E) with 122,000 miles and it had never been changed.
I just dropped the pan and changed the filter, needed 7.5 qts to refill.
The fluid that came out (I believe the '07 was factory filled with Dex VI) actually looked really good and did not smell burnt at all. My mom did say she thinks is shifts better (I did not tell her I did it).

It will probably be fine.

Also, you should never flush a Honda transmission. The only way to do that, if you feel necessary, would be to do 3-4 consecutive drain and fills from the drain plug.

The OP posted he did multiple d&f's, thus the use of 17 qts. And some folks use the term 'flush' for a complete ATF exchange. Besides the AT d&fs method, a trans cooler line exchange can be done using the return line. While some experienced can make it a one man job, I'd say having two people will make it go more smoothly and effortlessly. If desired, it's likely the most efficient and least expensive (less ATF) way to exchange all the ATF on Hondas. But no chemical "flushes" should be used, but I'm not aware that anyone does them anymore.

I'll add there's one line of thought that doing a complete exchange on a neglected trans can hasten the failure of an AT. So some believe doing some d&fs over a period of time 'might' be safer. I'm not aware of any science behind that, just anecdotal. Could be just that those ATs are in such bad shape the drastic fluid change could have some effect. Or, just coincidence.

But I don't believe using Dex VI in Honda spec'd Z1 is an issue.

Guess I should ask, how's it shifting?

FYI-the old Honda/Acura ATF Z-1 is in no way related or even remotely similar to Dex-III...that being said, the Dex-VI will work fine in your car...don't worry about changing it back now. If your transmission was working just fine before, it will work fine with a good Dex-VI ATF as well...shifting may even seem a bit smoother...Honda engineers historically have preferred a firmer shift (me too) than GM engineers and some of that is accomplished within the ad-pack of the fluid itself.

The only way you could even get the old Z-1 formula anyway after the Honda superseded to DW-1 was/is to order the Honda Marine Power Trim and Tilt fluid which remained the old Z-1 formula in order to keep the cost down (DW-1 was much more $$$)...that may have changed since I left-I would have to make a quick call to be sure if that is still the case, but according to the current Honda site and Dealer sites it is still showing Z-1. SEE FRONT LABEL

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda/H-08207-TNT32.html

BTW, the DW-1 is backwards compatible with all Z-1 applications...biggest difference was the lighter viscosity for fuel economy benefits, but the formulation was a completely new base stock and additive technology.

See ya-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back