Dexron VI in 2001 Pathfinder w/ RE4R01A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I'm wondering whether Dexron VI would be suitable for use in a 2001.5 Nissan Pathfinder w/ RE4R01A automatic transmission. FSM says Matic-D or Dexron III/Mercon (or equivalent).

Right now it has mostly Valvoline MaxLife, probably with some Matic D & some other unknown fluid; I've done one pan drop and two drain & fills this year. The pan drop was with Matic D (~5qt), the D&Fs with Maxlife (4 quarts each). When I had the oil pan gaskets remade at AAMCO, they made up for the lost fluid, somewhere between 1 and 2 quarts. Total capacity is 9 quarts. There are 128.9k miles on my Pathfinder.

I have a Magnefine and a 13,000 BTU stacked plate auxiliary cooler (B&M 70268) in-line with the stock cooler. These add probably about a quart combined to the total fluid capacity.

As far as I can tell, the fluid level is spot on when checked using the procedure in the FSM. The service adviser at my local dealer also concurs. Fluid is red, clean, and smells as it should.

As of late, shifts have been rather harsh, and there has been some erratic shifting, most noticeably during turns with a lot of throttle used. However, the battery has been disconnected several times recently, and perhaps the TCM hasn't had time to relearn my driving style yet. I will wait a few weeks at least before doing anything.

Anyway, is Dex VI fine to use? If things don't improve, should I do a cooler line flush with Maxlife or some other fluid? Either Maxlife or SuperTech Dex VI would be cost effective options for a cooler line flush, in my opinion. And if the TCM needing some time is all it needs, I'd still like to know for future maintenance plans.

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

I put Maxlife in my 2000 quest that specs matic D, It shifted very harsh so I dumped it and put Castrol Multi vehicle Import atf in that I got at Walmart, it shifts smoothly now.
My Silverado on the other hand, loves Maxlife, shifts perfect with it. Maybe Nissans don't like Maxlife atf?

I did some searching here on BITOG. I've read some mixed reviews about Castrol IMV and use of Dexron VI in Nissan transmissions. Dex VI has been said to shear too thin after 10-20k miles even though it starts out where a typical Dex III would shear to, despite the fact that it's more shear stable than Dex III. I read a couple anecdotes about poor performance with Castrol IMV, but otherwise positive reviews. I also read that Mercon V is usable, and that it starts out thicker than Dex VI, so it would theoretically be able to run for longer. I don't think I came across any negative posts about running Merc V in Nissan transmissions...

I'm still wondering what the best option is. I can get 10 quarts of Castrol IMV for $43ish at AAP, or a few gallons of SuperTech Mercon V at WalMart for probably a little cheaper. I don't think any of the WalMarts around me sell Castrol IMV in gallon jugs or quarts. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back