Dexron III , V, or VI for Nissan Sentra 1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on 60K miles on 99 Nissan Sentra. This will be 3rd refill. Using Super Tech type Dexron III and working great. Bright red and clean looking. I occasionally tow utility trailers and even an 18 ft sailboat with it.

When choosing ATF at Walmart today. They had SuperTech Dexron III , V, or VI . They all said that they were replacement for Dextron III. The V and VI are the same price at $3.77 per qt. not much more then the III.

Which should I choose and why?

Originally Posted By: Stevie
I occasionally tow utility trailers and even an 18 ft sailboat with it.

When you have a chance PLEASE take a picture for me. I have a 2000 with the 1.8 and that thing barely pulls itself LOL. My car specifies Nissan Matic D as the transmission fluid, but Dextron II and up will also work. Each new Dextron that comes out (II, III, V, and so forth) is supposed to surpass the specs. for the previous, so Dextron IV should be okay.

There was Dexron 111 then Dexrom111 H and sense 2006 we have Dexron V1. Never heard of Dexron V. Dexron V1 is backwards compatible in older transmissions according to GM. GM does not license dexron 111 any more, so it is hard to find. Most of the makers say compatible with Dexron 111. And as far as I know Dexron 111 and Nissan matic D were very close.

have a good one,

Don

^ I am sure the OP meant Supertech Mercon V not Dexron V.

Supertech's Mercon V satisfies the requirement of Dexron-III. It's written on the label.

Thanks for the imput. So it seems that Dexron V1 is compatable with Dexron III. Would I have any problem mixing the Dexron V1 with the Dexron III as I only do the drain plug and replacement of 4 qts in the sump.

Also, would the Dexron V1 make my transmission last longer?
Is it part synthetic?

Dexron VI is labeled as a Group III full synthetic, and is a superior replacement to Dexron III. By process of substitutes, Dexron VI should work fine for your Nissan, since it replaces Dexron III (but GM only recommends it for GM transmissions). Prices were similar between Dexron VI and synthetic Dexron III, then Super Tech came out with a Dexron VI equivalent and made it a more economical choice for an upgrade..

Try a cooling line trans flush after the drain and refill. Its easier than you think and you only need a 4' piece of clear plastic tubing. Its a much better way to deal with the ATF. Will take under 30 minutes extra.

pull of the return cooler line from the tq covertor to the pan. Put said clear hose on the end and point it into a large bucket (understanding your about to pump oil/atf into it of course). Start the car/truck and put it into N if your trans doesnt pump atf in P. Let a few qts pump out and top it off as you go...

You need to know how many qts your trans holds so that after you have gotten within a qt or 2 of that amount STOP. And it helps if you mark 4 qts out in 1 qt increments on your bucket. I did 4 qts, stop the engine, top it off and repeat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back