Castrol fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there are a few more days that Advance Auto runs the promo 2 qt for $11 of Castrol ATF. The stores in my area are all out of the "Mercon V" fluid (I was told that someone bought 30-40 bottles at once). I managed to buy only 7 qt of "Mercon V" and drain and refill the daily driver 2001 Mercury Sable (used 5.5 qt). Also I did the drain/refill on a 2000 Hyundai Sonata (Mitsubishi transm) with the "Import Multi-Vehicle" ATF (this one they still have a lot on shelf). Still need to do the 2001 Ford Explorer but I don't have enough ATF left. Looking at the "Import Multi-Vehicle" bottle I see "Mercon V" listed. Now, I found the datasheets:
Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...t Multi-Vehicle

Transmax Mercon V: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...ansmax Mercon V

They have basically identical specs and the "Import Multi-Vehicle" one lists Mercon V.
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt - 36.6 IMV - 37 MercV
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt - 8 IMV - 7.8 MercV
Viscosity at -40 C, cP - 10500 for both

Heck, even the Transmax High Mileage: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...ax High Mileage has the same data sheet characteristics as the ones from above!

Basically this tells me that the modern (1996-2010 era) american ATF (like Mercon V) matches the specs of import ATF (Asian more specifialy), and I don't see a reason to fret over the "Mercon V" label, this being more of a marketing issue for all the manufacturers (revenue for licensing).
I now that those specs don't tell the whole story, are there any hidden "miraculous" compounds that are present in a Mercon V, that are not present in the other? I somehow doubt that Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda or Nissan don't have the same "miracle" compounds in their specs.

Am I correct? Any thoughts from people that know about chemistry of additive packs?

BTW, in my vehicles I am adding Lubegard Platinum too. It is supposedly:
Quote:
Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® , V ATF to perform like a highly friction modified ATF, such as:
– Honda® Genuine ATF
– Toyota® Type T/TII/TIV
– Mopar® ATF + 3® (7176)
– Mopar® ATF +4® (9602)
– And all other highly friction modified ATF's

That makes it even more confusing.

Last edited:
The full synthetic Castrol ATF is also on sale for the same price. That's what I would get
smile.gif

That is not proper for Mercon V (or Imports). It is Low Viscosity fluid, like most of the synthetics, for newer transmissions. It actually says "All Ford vehicles requiring MERCON® LV".
Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Viscosity at 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445 30.2
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445 5.9

Note especially the difference at higher operating temperature (around 8) from the values in the first post. Might not seem a lot, but for transmissions with 100+K miles, I would not chance it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SoNic67
That is not proper for Mercon V (or Imports). It is Low Viscosity fluid, like most of the synthetics, for newer transmissions. It actually says "All Ford vehicles requiring MERCON® LV".
Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Viscosity at 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445 30.2
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445 5.9

Note especially the difference at higher operating temperature (around 8) from the values in the first post. Might not seem a lot, but for transmissions with 100+K miles, I would not chance it.

It will work well in both Mercon V and imports
smile.gif

Even though the starting visc is lower, it is more shear-stable, and thus will end up with the same or better visc than a non-synthetic.

Your 2001 Sable is not going to be picky.

It has lower viscosity when hot (in the name of "fuel economy") - that's 5.9 vs 7.8 cSt. On a transmission pump designed for higher viscosity (and that has over 130k miles) this can mean lower internal pressures and eventually burned-up friction packs.
As for "shear down"... how low the 7.8 can it go and at what intervals? I will add anyway Lubegard.

PS: Searching the net I found out that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF has one of the highest 100C viscosity of synthetics - 7.4 cTs. I'll trust that, but the current Castrol promotion costs 1/2 of that. AMSOIL also has specifically two types of synthetics too - Normal (ATF) and LV (ATL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back