Dexron HP recommend for GM power steering

Was perusing the web for info about a remedy for my P/S whine in my 2013 Suburban . Getting lost in the weeds about which fluid, etc. etc.

Came across a TSB (service bulletin) from GM "SB-10052379-4090"
Says to flush and replace with Dexron HP for power steering cold weather.

"Flush the power steering system and refill with DEXRON HP power steering fluid. Provide the customer DEXRON HP fluid Part Number information for their records for any future maintenance needs. Parts Information DEXRON HP ATF, or ATF (212-B) fluid (P/N or spec# 9986333, spec # GMW16444 ) is serviced with bottles: Part Number Description 19300536 32 oz. with English language label. 19300537 (Canada) 1 Liter with English/French language label"

Thought I read that Mobil1 LV ATF HP is the factory supplier for Dexron HP, but not certain.

Was perusing the web for info about a remedy for my P/S whine in my 2013 Suburban . Getting lost in the weeds about which fluid, etc. etc.

Came across a TSB (service bulletin) from GM "SB-10052379-4090"
Says to flush and replace with Dexron HP for power steering cold weather.

"Flush the power steering system and refill with DEXRON HP power steering fluid. Provide the customer DEXRON HP fluid Part Number information for their records for any future maintenance needs. Parts Information DEXRON HP ATF, or ATF (212-B) fluid (P/N or spec# 9986333, spec # GMW16444 ) is serviced with bottles: Part Number Description 19300536 32 oz. with English language label. 19300537 (Canada) 1 Liter with English/French language label"

Thought I read that Mobil1 LV ATF HP is the factory supplier for Dexron HP, but not certain.
Mobil 1 LV HP is worth the purchase and worth the try

it’s good stuff

SB-10052379-4090 is the number NHTSA assigned it. You can see the GM bulletin number at the top right of the bulletin: 13-02-32-001

Right under that you'll see the date as May, 2013.

The most recent version of this bulletin is 13-02-32-001F, dated June, 2019. "F" is the revision and indicates the bulletin has been revised 6 times since it was issued.

Latest bulletin indicates to use Pentosin CHF202.

The most recent version of this bulletin is 13-02-32-001F, dated June, 2019. "F" is the revision and indicates the bulletin has been revised 6 times since it was issued.
Six revisions. That means that nothing worked... Last one added to the list 2019 and 2020 models!
Also added the important part: "To resolve this condition, replace any damaged power steering system components."
To me it sounds they just try different fluids, and wait for the warranties to run out.

PS: In all my Ford vehicles, the required power steering was Mercon. I knew someone that used the generic "Power Steering Fluid" from a store, because the seller said it's "good" only to have pump noises appear a weak later.

Thank you for the edification! Good to know.

When I bought the suburban last summer, I flushed the power steering with lubeguard synthetic power steering fluid. This winter is has been moaning, more lately with getting into tight parking places and low speed turns.

no extreme temps here, we see lows in the teens, occasionally single digits.
summer highs about 95.

I hope moving to Pentosin resolves it.

Might have to try Mercon if Pentosin doesn't work.
No leaks in the system, not even wet line sets.
I see other TSB's for other GM's replacing the suction line, replacing seals, even adding a potentially missing seal.

When I drain to replace fluid, I will go ahead and replace the seals at the gear, check for superseded line sets and replace as necessary.

I found a similar TSB researching my daughters car ( link to post ). She wasn't experiencing any PS issues but we live in MN where the temp can get down there and the fluid was brown and thick-ish. CHF 202 was not readily available. I didn't think of DexHP at the time. I chose Amsoil LV ATF. The Amsoil did make a difference in the steering feel. We intend to hit it again, soon.

I am interested to see if CHF 202 or DexHP is really the end game for this.

SB-10052379-4090 is the number NHTSA assigned it. You can see the GM bulletin number at the top right of the bulletin: 13-02-32-001

Right under that you'll see the date as May, 2013.

Latest bulletin indicates to use Pentosin CHF202.

Good post. The temps mentioned are for -30 F, so yeah if you are planning on those conditions have at it. However for the OP in Arizona, I’m not so sure.

Last edited:
I'm using this stuff to control my DDCT. It's a powersteering fluid really.

MPM fluide LDS. MPM is a repackager, I have no doubt this actually Total Fluide LDS.

Very high viscosity index, very thin when extremely cold Can't find the TDS that had this now, but around 1000 cst at -40F. Pretty much a full PAO steering fluid.

Don't know of anything that comes close for cold weather

Yep, pretty temperate here in North Central AZ. But at 20 degree mornings are common, steering groans when it's cold.Colder it is, louder it groans.

Current fill is Lubeguard synthetic ATF. Used two quarts to flush with turkey battery method when. So I likely flushed 70% of the old fluid out.?. Just a guess there.

GM PS bleed procedure.

Before I replace the fluid, I will replace the hoses. There is a TSB for replacing the seals on the st gear, so I'll replace the hoses at the same time just based on age. Then replace the fluid. Ordered 12 liters of CHF202 off Amazon for $77. ~$6.50 per liter! Only problem is "usually ships in 1-2 months"

Also, make sure the power steering pulley is flush with the end of the shaft. If you still get a squeal after doing the procedure above, a Mighty Vac connected to the power steering reservoir can be used to pull out the last bubble or two when hot.

Update:
After I flushed my transmission with Havoline synthetic ATF, I used the balance to perform proper flush of the steering system. All quiet now.
However I noticed a slight leak from the pressure hose. Fluid leaking at the crimped transition from hose to tube near the pump. (Hidden under corrugated hose cover) so the next weekend I replaced the hose with Edelmans Extreme Weather hose. Not having anymore Havoline synthetic ATF, I used Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF. Still quiet. So I guess it just needed a proper flush.

Previously whined at temps below 45. Hadsn't made a noise even at 18 degree temps.

Next flush will likely get the pentosin CHF fluid. But for now... it's church mouse quiet.

I've been using full synthetic ATF and PSF for over 35 years, and recommending them. Its no biggie. Sometimes you have to be the engineer and take matters into your own hands.

So, they are switching from GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 89021184, in Canada 89021186) to an Dexron 6HP ATF? Whatever happened to GM cold weather PSF 12345867?

Trust the engineers says the clueless drone sheeple, while waiting for them to spec something better(too numerous customer service complaints GM???).

Attachments

• SB-10052379-4090.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 43
Trust the engineers says the clueless drone sheeple,
LOL.

Now Pentosin CHF202 has superceded Dex HP.

Regardless,
when I search what is best, half the people say OEM knows best, others say use XYZ for better performance.

So the synthetic ATF I have in there now is working fine (likely due to just replacing with clean fluid)

Back