Dexos for pre-Dexos Traverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Traverse makes no mention of Dexos, probably since Dexos was 2011 and it's a 2010 model. I've heard the 3.6 DI has a history of stretched timing chains and tends to be hard on oil. Figured I'll go with a Dexos-approved oil like Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower, even though it doesn't require it. Did anything change significantly when they started calling for Dexos? Mine supposedly has the updated OLM programming.

I don't think anything in the engine mechanically changed...I think they simply started using the dexos1 standard as soon as it was ready for publication and as soon as they had a number of oil blenders on board.

I would be using a Dexos approved oil in that engine. They are hard on oil. Change at appropriate intervals. It wont hurt to change it out early due to the timing chain issues.

Go with Mobil 1. It's super cheap and one of the best oils out there. GM endorses Mobil 1 in all their engines. You can't go wrong with it. Costco is selling a case of Mobil 1 5W30 for $27.99 for a case of 6 quarts until 10/26. Your engine will appreciate the better synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Go with Mobil 1. It's super cheap and one of the best oils out there. GM endorses Mobil 1 in all their engines. You can't go wrong with it. Costco is selling a case of Mobil 1 5W30 for $27.99 for a case of 6 quarts until 10/26. Your engine will appreciate the better synthetic oil.

+1 You can also grab Mobil 1 at Walmart for cheap money. Dexos approved and a high quality oil.

There certainly isn't anything wrong with doing so, especially when the engine is hard on oil.

If you're considering Synpower, check out Napa Synthetic. It's rebranded Synpower, and on sale for $3.79/qt this month. It meets dexos standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back