Dexos 5W20 required but used non-Dexos

I've always changed the oil in my mom's 2013 Chev Spark myself but got sick of it. The filter is a PITA!!!. So this place near me has 5W20 which is what the car requires and it's the Valvoline Blend but they tried to tell me I have to use Dexos full syn or it could create engine damage. I called BS and wasnt going to spend 70.00 for a change so I made them use the regular 5W20. I will say the ownersmanual says to use demos, but is this really going to be an issue?

I've always changed the oil in my mom's 2013 Chev Spark myself but got sick of it. The filter is a PITA!!!. So this place near me has 5W20 which is what the car requires and it's the Valvoline Blend but they tried to tell me I have to use Dexos full syn or it could create engine damage. I called BS and wasnt going to spend 70.00 for a change so I made them use the regular 5W20. I will say the ownersmanual says to use demos, but is this really going to be an issue?
Me personally I would use DEXOS 1 Gen2 or 3 if you can find it. That’s my thoughts

Dexos 1, gen 1 and 2 are simply designed to have less calcium to help prevent LSPI on turbocharged, direct injected engines. Along with excellent deposit/varnish protection. It is not a better lubricant than a quality oil of the same viscosity.

"Dexos" is a recommendation from GM. They want you to use it because they make $$$ for every qt that is sold, with the words "dexos" on it. There's no magic ingredient in that oil in that's dexos rated. Try to find one in a uoa from any posted on here. My wife's 2011 equinox eats any "GM" recommended oil. So it gets whatever I want in it, and guess what, it runs perfectly fine. The local chevy dealer sent us a letter for us to bring the car in to hopefully correct the consumption issue, then decided they weren't going to do anything, for free. By using my own blend of oils, I went from 750 miles per qt, to a little over 1500 per qt. Gm can stick their recommendation of dexos.,,,

You've made the call. No Dexos Full Syn oils to save, what $25.00.
If something, lubricant related, were to go wrong will you own it?
The oil you have decided to use will probably be fine but if not?
It's on you.
I own a quick lube and deal with this every day.
You want an oil to protect a small 1.2 liter (75 cu in) engine for 5000+ miles?
I'd want the best oil available. At least one that's Dexos spec'd.
It's your Mother, no less.

The issue isnt dexos that isnt a tough spec at all.
if it was an api SP syn thats fine
but what was the bulk oil 5w20 conventional? Hopefully its good enough (and it probably is)

"Dexos" is a recommendation from GM. They want you to use it because they make $$$ for every qt that is sold, with the words "dexos" on it. There's no magic ingredient in that oil in that's dexos rated. Try to find one in a uoa from any posted on here. My wife's 2011 equinox eats any "GM" recommended oil. So it gets whatever I want in it, and guess what, it runs perfectly fine. The local chevy dealer sent us a letter for us to bring the car in to hopefully correct the consumption issue, then decided they weren't going to do anything, for free. By using my own blend of oils, I went from 750 miles per qt, to a little over 1500 per qt. Gm can stick their recommendation of dexos.,,,
You realize it is a spec...that's different????? Do I have to go hunting for "the chart"

Here we go! AGAIN!!!!

2013 Chev Spark........has 5W20 which is what the car requires and it's the Valvoline Blend ....
Valvoline 5W20 synblend should be API SP & ILSAC GF-6A.

Your car is from 2013, which would have been Dexos1-Gen1 oil.

Dexos1-Gen1 = 2010
Dexos1-Gen2 = 2015
API SP & GF6 = 2020
Dexos1-Gen3 = 2021/2022

Yes D1G3 is better than SP/GF6.

But for your the question is, SP/GF6 Vs D1G1. I wish I knew the exact answer, but it's hard to find this sort of comparison, looking around suggests they are close with the nod going to D1G1 as being a bit better.

However, if you are keeping the oil change interval (OCI) reasonable, like 5k miles or less, then I wouldn't be too worried. Anyway the oil is already in the sump, so now the question is, "do I need to drain out fresh API SP Valvoline Synblend 5W20?"

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't do a long OCI, but I wouldn't be worried about my car either.

I think all of the engines options for the 2013 Spark were N/A, API SP/GF-6 syn blend should be fine in that motor. If you're changing it yourself it's a no brainer to pay a small amount more for full syn but since it's so much more expensive at the shop this should be fine, I'd think at this point any SP/GF-6 oil should exceed the original requirements of Dexos1Gen1 that would've originally been specified for that car.

I I called BS and wasnt going to spend 70.00 for a change so I made them use the regular 5W20. I will say the ownersmanual says to use demos, but is this really going to be an issue?
What was "BS"...that they wanted to use the oil that the vehicle mfr recommended? I would do the same if I were the shop owner.

Here is an article from Oronite comparing D1-G1, D1-G2, D1-G3 and GF-6

To me the big advances have been in how Dexos treats a Turbo engine.

OP, two questions
- is your engine turbocharged? (I wouldn't be too concerned with a normally aspirated engine)
- did the shop offer you a Dexos 5W20 or 0W20? (I'm guessing 0W20 as it's less common to find a Dexos 5W20 these days).

Last edited:
OP, since everybody here is so excited to trip over their own schlong trying to show how smart they are, nobody here bothered to notice you said you were using 5w20. You won’t find very many 5w20s that are Dexos certified (case in point: your OM says a 0w30 can be used). Reason: that weight is not one that GM fills many vehicles with; it’s 0w20, 0w30, and 5w30. A manufacturer MAY choose to “cert” a 5w20, but all it will do is cost them money while never gaining any significant amount of sales based on the Dexos cert alone. d1G2 had a handful more but as that spec sunsets, fewer options remain.

Looking at the current d1G3 list, ONLY Castrol Edge EP, Magnatec GTX, Pennzoil Gold, and QSFS: 1. Are available in 5w20; 2. Are Dexos approved; and 3. Are manufactured by any of the “Big 4” and marketed under their own brand. All of the other 5w20s on the approved lists are the brands that don’t make their own oil. Mobil doesn’t even have ANY 5w20 oil that’s certified…. Check for yourself, don’t trust any of us illiterates….

Last edited:
Dexos is NOT required, it's only recommended.

Read the owner's manual....

Recommended Fluids, Lubricants, and Parts
Engine Oil - Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended.

Looking at the current d1G3 list, ONLY Castrol Edge EP, Magnatec GTX, Pennzoil Gold, and QSFS: 1. Are available in 5w20; 2. Are Dexos approved; and 3. Are manufactured by any of the “Big 4” and marketed under their own brand. All of the other 5w20s on the approved lists are the brands that don’t make their own oil. Mobil doesn’t even have ANY 5w20 oil that’s certified…. Check for yourself, don’t trust any of us illiterates….

That's because GM says to use 0W-20 in place of 5W20 now.

Back