Dexos 1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really paid attention to the whole Dexos 1 thing until I got my Sierra. Maybe a stupid question but: Am I to assume that any brands on the shelf that are listed at the Dexos 1 site, even though not specifically labeled as a Dexos 1 oil, can be used now without issue as meeting the Dexos 1 requirement? I was disappointed that Kendall wasn't on the list since I have four cases of their 5W30 full syn waiting to be used. The Dexos 1 "need" was the reason I just bought six 5 qt. containers of Castrol Edge, with $5 off per container coupons, from Walmart.

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands (Link courtesy of Tommygunn)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I never really paid attention to the whole Dexos 1 thing until I got my Sierra. Maybe a stupid question but: Am I to assume that any brands on the shelf that are listed at the Dexos 1 site, even though not specifically labeled as a Dexos 1 oil, can be used now without issue as meeting the Dexos 1 requirement? I was disappointed that Kendall wasn't on the list since I have four cases of their 5W30 full syn waiting to be used. The Dexos 1 "need" was the reason I just bought six 5 qt. containers of Castrol Edge, with $5 off per container coupons, from Walmart.

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands (Link courtesy of Tommygunn)

If by brand do you mean the specific oil listed on the Dexos site? Then I would not worry that the bottle doesn't have the label. I think that if it is listed on the site is good enough. If you have an issue it's not like the dealership can ask for proof that the bottle you bought had Dexos on the label - everyone just throws the bottles away after use.

On the other hand if you are asking that if a brand is on the list and you can use any of their products I would say I wouldn't. The example you give, Kendall full synthetic doesn't say at all on their site or PDS that it even meets or exceeds Dexos. On the otherhand Kendall sells a specific Dexos1 labelled oil. Of course likely their full synthetic does meet Dexos.

If it's on the list, you;re fine
smile.gif

FWIW, M1 AFE 0w30 took a LONG time after being listed on the dexos list before actually seeing the dexos label on the bottle.

Thanks to all. I guess I'll go ahead and use a few of the $6 off coupons I have for Valvoline Synpower. Never used it before but I'm tempted to add a few 5 quart containers to the stash at this price. I'll be set for OCI's for the next couple of years for each vehicle in my sig. Thanks again to all.

Last edited:
One curiosity is that Dexos 1 spans a decent range. In other words, you can get a 0w-20 syn or a 5w-30 conventional that meets Dexos 1.

If youre using your truck like a truck, i.e. regular high loading/towing, then you would probably want to range to the heavier side, if not, then something like M1 EP 0w-20 would be great.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
One curiosity is that Dexos 1 spans a decent range. In other words, you can get a 0w-20 syn or a 5w-30 conventional that meets Dexos 1.

If youre using your truck like a truck, i.e. regular high loading/towing, then you would probably want to range to the heavier side, if not, then something like M1 EP 0w-20 would be great.

Huh?

dexos1 is a GM quality spec. The vehicle owner needs to match both the viscosity and the quality requirement. If the book calls for a dexos1 5W-30, then the correct oil meets both dexos1 and 5w-30 specifications.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

Huh?

dexos1 is a GM quality spec. The vehicle owner needs to match both the viscosity and the quality requirement. If the book calls for a dexos1 5W-30, then the correct oil meets both dexos1 and 5w-30 specifications.

+1 You have both a spec and viscosity requirement no different than other specs like API.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

Don't at least some GM cars that call for dexos *only* specify dexos with no reference to viscosity or API? Especially 2011 models, before they started using 5w20

Also, there are OEM specs that allow multiple viscosities under the same standard.

By conventional you mean blend? I've yet to see a conventional meeting dexos1.

GM strongly recommends using AC Delco Synthetic blend Dexos 1 rated oils, however you can use any Dexos 1 rated/approved oil in your engine and be ok. Just make sure to use the recommended viscosity which for the new full sized trucks and SUV DI engines is 0W20. NEVER run a thicker oil like 5W30 in the new DI full sized truck engines, so that stash of oil you have on the shelf is not meant for the new truck you just got. Use a Dexos 1 rated oil in 0W20 ONLY!

GM states in the owners manual to NEVER run a thicker oil than what's written on the oil cap. The new DI engines needs a very thin oil for proper flow purposes. You can't run a thinner oil as it doesn't exist and GM engines have run very thin oils for the last few decades now. Your owner's manual clearly outlines all of this in the engine oil section.

What viscosity Castrol did you buy?

Last edited:
L
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
GM strongly recommends using AC Delco Synthetic blend Dexos 1 rated oils, however you can use any Dexos 1 rated/approved oil in your engine and be ok. Just make sure to use the recommended viscosity which for the new full sized trucks and SUV DI engines is 0W20. NEVER run a thicker oil like 5W30 in the new DI full sized truck engines, so that stash of oil you have on the shelf is not meant for the new truck you just got. Use a Dexos 1 rated oil in 0W20 ONLY!

GM states in the owners manual to NEVER run a thicker oil than what's written on the oil cap. The new DI engines needs a very thin oil for proper flow purposes. You can't run a thinner oil as it doesn't exist and GM engines have run very thin oils for the last few decades now. Your owner's manual clearly outlines all of this in the engine oil section.

So exactly what gm product has been using very thin oil now for decades?

Dude, don't you get 2 years of free oil changes with the purchase of a 2014? I'm using Castrol GTX Synthetic Blend in my 2011 Silverado. It's Dexos approved, my rig still calls for 5W30. The engine seems to run the quietest on this oil.

GM4LIFE - I have the V6 and it calls for 5W30.

Sigshooter - Yes I have four free oil changes. The time and distance for me makes it a wash on the value of the free dealership oil changes. I'm sure the cost of the free oil changes were built in to the price of the truck but it's just easier for me to do it myself at home. Since I'm retired, Oil changes and tire rotations are a form of therapy for this "old dude" and it gives me something to do. I bought the Castrol Edge because of the coupons I got online from Walmart. Made a 5 qt. container of Edge less than $18 with tax. I will give the Castrol blend a try when I need to replenish my oil stash.

I don't really worry about the dexos thing too much. I use a Schaeffer 5w30 that claims to meet or exceed GF-5 / SN / dexos1 specs.

The owners manual in my 2013 Silverado's glove box states "dexos1 or equivalent". Equivalent works in my books. As long as there is some claim to meeting the spec, irregardless of the "approved" list, I am quite comfortable.

I got the free oil change thing when I bought my pickup, but the dealer is only good for the buy. I wouldn't let the dealer turn a wrench on my pickup except in an extreme situation. I wouldn't trust them to change a spark plug on a lawn motor properly.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
L
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

So exactly what gm product has been using very thin oil now for decades?

Until GM's new DI engines were released, all GM engines called for 5W30 viscosity and it's been like this for the last 25+ years. 5W30 is considered to be a thin oil compared to the 40 and 50 weight oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
GM4LIFE - I have the V6 and it calls for 5W30.

Sigshooter - Yes I have four free oil changes. The time and distance for me makes it a wash on the value of the free dealership oil changes. I'm sure the cost of the free oil changes were built in to the price of the truck but it's just easier for me to do it myself at home. Since I'm retired, Oil changes and tire rotations are a form of therapy for this "old dude" and it gives me something to do. I bought the Castrol Edge because of the coupons I got online from Walmart. Made a 5 qt. container of Edge less than $18 with tax. I will give the Castrol blend a try when I need to replenish my oil stash.

Just make sure to run a Dexos 1 approved/rated 5W30 oil and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
"...or equivalent". Equivalent works in my books. As long as there is some claim to meeting the spec, irregardless of the "approved" list, I am quite comfortable.

I was opposed to this thinking a short time ago. I have since 180'd this train of thought to completely agree with you. As long as the ubiquitous, meets/exceeds/equivalent is mentioned, I have no issue purchasing.

I've been using Amsoil SS 5W30 in my 2012 Buick Regal GS (Turbo and DI). Most GMs spec 5W30, with some newer V8s and non-turbo 4's specing 5W20/0W20.
According to my owners manual:"Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended". For me, "eqivalent" is easily met by Amsoil's 5W30 SS. Amsoil's site indicates that that oil is "Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1™ sulfated ash specifications.' GM does not require Dexos approved oils; they only recommend them.

The manual also adds, "If in an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −20°F
, an SAE 0W30 oil should be used." The Amsoil SS 5W30 specs a CCS Viscosity of
4426 @(-30) which is excellent. No need for 0W30, even in my climate.

A 0w-30 may be as much as 50% lighter at -30C than a 5w-30 BTW. The AZO 0w-30 is 5909cP @ -35C, so it would be around 2,950cP @ -30C. M1 AFE 0w-30 is even lighter.

The 5W-xx limit for CCS @ -30C is 6,600cP. The 0W-xx limit for CCS @ -35C is 6,200cP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back