Dexos 1 Gen 3 Comparison 2021

We all know Mobil 1 already meets this new Dexos 1 GEN3 spec. They met this spec since 1979 😐

Maybe. MAYBE!

But it's totes uncool to humblebrag, bro. 😉

Properly matched Mobil products to application and literally just following the book in the glove box?

*pulls flamesuit on now*

I ain't never had a problem since 1993...in me '84 Olds Delta 88 307^3" wannabee blas`e 'burban-blaster.

It's hard for me to understand these charts without any meaningful numbers. ...

relatively speaking is the most inner circle like F, then D, C, B and A? ...
These look like charts you give to high level management to leave you alone ... lol
Spider charts are not about meaningful numbers. They're a way to show you how one spec is tighter or looser than another, without revealing anything more specific. Maybe the inner circle is "like B," and the outer one is "like" A+.

About your last sentence there, I agree. When I complained about spider charts another time, someone answered, in effect, that he thought I'd never had to face the same kind of "high level management" you reference---the kind of management that can grasp pictures, but not relevant technical numbers.

I came across this comparison spider graph on the Lubrizol website. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it looks like D1G3 has a lower standard for wear and sludge protection compared to D1G2. Are motor oils getting to the point that piston cleanliness, LSPI, and turbo charger cleanliness, are beginning to sacrifice wear and sludge protection?

Pure speculation in my behalf: Maybe GM is simply formulating (*cough-cough* demanding *cough-*cough*) in a bias that simply works for their engine building schema, metallurgy, fit, finish, etc?
Gooses. Ganders. Which suits one may not always suit the other...? *Shrug*

Pure speculation in my behalf: Maybe GM is simply formulating (*cough-cough* demanding *cough-*cough*) in a bias that simply works for their engine building schema, metallurgy, fit, finish, etc?
Gooses. Ganders. Which suits one may not always suit the other...? *Shrug*

Nonsensical gibberish. What is GM doing different that would have them do this?

Nonsensical gibberish. What is GM doing different that would have them do this?
Probably not a whole lot of anything different.

Maybe it's a solution looking for a problem? They are trying to extend oil drain intervals but keep miles of chains healthy. And there's typically a cam driven high pressure pump for GDI motors. That's got to rough up oil some too. Then the general sootier mess the oil turns into in shorter time intervals in a GDI setup. *shrug* But so many other car makers are doing similar things and do just fine on non-Dexos licensed lubricants. I'm more confused about it the more I try to think about it.

*Good points regarding wear protection and sludge control being lower on new D1 Gen 3 oils ... With my Hyundai 2.4L (non turbo DI engine I will not be extending any OCI's for sure !

*Good points regarding wear protection and sludge control being lower on new D1 Gen 3 oils ... With my Hyundai 2.4L (non turbo DI engine I will not be extending any OCI's for sure !
What the MIN spec is and how the oil YOU purchase rates are two different things. Most " Premium" "Full Synthetic" lubricant comfortably outperform and they tout this in ads on the bottle and in PDS.

Hi All, I am a technology manager at Lubrizol responsible for development of new passenger car oil additives (including dexos1 products) and was part of the group that put that performance spider chart together. To clarify, the reason we rated the relative performance of the Gen3 wear spec a bit lower than Gen2 was because GM removed an engine test (RNT) and replaced it with a bench test (MTM) and generally an engine test is a better method of evaluating performance. The spec does still utilize the Sequence IVB wear test, which is also part of API and ILSAC specifications. The sludge-handling performance comparison is a similar situation where GM removed a sludge handling engine test (M271 EVO) and replaced it by making the Sequence VH (API/ILSAC) a final formulation test with more stringent limits than those of GF-6.

The specification ensures that all dexos1 Gen3 oils will still be very strong on wear protection and sludge handling and really reflects the emphasis that has been put on cleanliness, fuel economy and LSPI protection for their vehicles.

I came across this comparison spider graph on the Lubrizol website. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it looks like D1G3 has a lower standard for wear and sludge protection compared to D1G2. Are motor oils getting to the point that piston cleanliness, LSPI, and turbo charger cleanliness, are beginning to sacrifice wear and sludge protection?
View attachment 38952
Hi All, I am a technology manager at Lubrizol responsible for development of new passenger car oil additives (including dexos1 products) and was part of the group that put that performance spider chart together. To clarify, the reason we rated the relative performance of the Gen3 wear spec a bit lower than Gen2 was because GM removed an engine test (RNT) and replaced it with a bench test (MTM) and generally an engine test is a better method of evaluating performance. The spec does still utilize the Sequence IVB wear test, which is also part of API and ILSAC specifications. The sludge-handling performance comparison is a similar situation where GM removed a sludge handling engine test (M271 EVO) and replaced it by making the Sequence VH (API/ILSAC) a final formulation test with more stringent limits than those of GF-6.

The specification ensures that all dexos1 Gen3 oils will still be very strong on wear protection and sludge handling and really reflects the emphasis that has been put on cleanliness, fuel economy and LSPI protection for their vehicles.

Advancements of base oil an additives allows a small reduction without long term negative affect.

Back