dex cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, i have 2001 alero with old dex cool in it.I plan on draining it,do i have to put dex cool back in or can i use 50/50 or other kinds?
ufo.gif

I wouldn't run dexcool in my own GM's if the stuff was free.

But if you do run the stuff, be very sure that your radiator cap is in good condition, there are absolutely no leaks in the system, the engine NEVER overheats, and that you change it out LONG before the suggested 5-year/100k inverval (maybe 2-3 years/ 30-50k?). If you follow those guidelines, your cooling system will PROBABLY be squeaky clean and trouble-free. Deviate even slightly... and you risk the impenetrable sludge of death.

Dexcool seems to work great when conditions are optimal... but if anything in the cooling system becomes SLIGHTLY less than optimal... that Dexcool will turn on you in a second and bite you in the A$$. I feel physically ill recalling the multiple Dexcool systems that I've ATTEMPTED to flush over the years. Others I've seen were squeaky-clean with high miles.

Quote:

I flushed it out with alot of water in my 03 saturn, and went with supertech all makes/models.

Its yellow in color.

Justin: I believe ST All Makes/Models is made by Prestone and is a Dexclone.

Quote:

Drain it and refill is all that is necessary unless you have a cooling system problem.

If he wants to switch from DexCool to a non-Dex anti-freeze, a simple drain & refill won't cut it. He will need to thoroughly flush and then refill. You don't want to mix any DC with non-DC.

Quote:

Quote:

Drain it and refill is all that is necessary unless you have a cooling system problem.

If he wants to switch from DexCool to a non-Dex anti-freeze, a simple drain & refill won't cut it. He will need to thoroughly flush and then refill. You don't want to mix any DC with non-DC.

ANNNNND why would he want to do that? Why cause any undo frustration if not needed. The car has and probably will continue to run just fine with Dex-cool in it.

If he wanted to change coolants he should have asked so since he doesn't that a simple drain & refill is all that is needed.

GM recommends only GM Approved Dex clones which includes Prestone Dex, Havoline Dex, Zerex Dex, Shell Dex, Goodwrench Dex, and AC Delco Dex. I wouldn't use Supertech all makes because that wasn't on the list. It's like the old wives tale that ST oil is the same as Valv or Quaker State (depending on the source) just because it may be bottled in the same plant. Specs for ST can be totally different and not compatible with the official GM approved.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ANNNNND why would he want to do that? Why cause any undo frustration if not needed. The car has and probably will continue to run just fine with Dex-cool in it.

If he wanted to change coolants he should have asked so since he doesn't that a simple drain & refill is all that is needed.

Thermo1223, re-read the OP. Part of his question was 'could he use other kinds?' I answered that in my first post, right under his OP. My personal opinion is, keep using DexCool, but not everybody will agree with that. If he chooses that course, then flushing would not necessarily be required.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thermo1223, re-read the OP. Part of his question was 'could he use other kinds?' I answered that in my first post, right under his OP. My personal opinion is, keep using DexCool, but not everybody will agree with that. If he chooses that course, then flushing would not necessarily be required.

Point taken...the things you miss
pat2.gif

Quote:

I wouldn't run dexcool in my own GM's if the stuff was free.

But if you do run the stuff, be very sure that your radiator cap is in good condition, there are absolutely no leaks in the system, the engine NEVER overheats, and that you change it out LONG before the suggested 5-year/100k inverval (maybe 2-3 years/ 30-50k?). If you follow those guidelines, your cooling system will PROBABLY be squeaky clean and trouble-free. Deviate even slightly... and you risk the impenetrable sludge of death.

Dexcool seems to work great when conditions are optimal... but if anything in the cooling system becomes SLIGHTLY less than optimal... that Dexcool will turn on you in a second and bite you in the A$$. I feel physically ill recalling the multiple Dexcool systems that I've ATTEMPTED to flush over the years. Others I've seen were squeaky-clean with high miles.

QFT. If everything else works, dex-cool does too. Don't expose it to air, though.

Whether you get the mud or the pink clumps, they're both things you wouldn't get if you just fill with 50/50 EG.

I have seen many cooling system problem with the EG coolants in my many years of driving. I have owned several GM Dexcool vehicles dating back to 1996 and I never had one issue with any of them. A

EG fluids must be changed every 2 yrs.

Yes, an EG system is going to require maintenance. I've not had a coolant-related failure in any of the vehicles I've owned, or been in contact with(either of my parents cars throughout the past few years I've been old enough to keep track of that kind of thing).

You can cause all kinds of problems by doing the job improperly. Failure to add GM's sealent supplement(or Bars Leaks Gold powder) can result in a leaky cooling system.

When I cleaned the dex-cool out of my aurora, I didn't find any mud(not that I took the radiator end-caps off or anything like that anyway), but I found LOTS of pink globs in the surge tank. I had to rinse that sucker for 20 minutes or more to get all that gunk out.

I've never seen an EG cooling sytem fail because of the coolant.

It's interesting that Dexcool gets a lot of negative attention when I don't hear as much about the other coolants causing that many problems.

Folks, despite posts with contrary implications... Dexcool IS an ethylene glycol coolant. It differs from "conventional" and other antifreezes in the corrosion inhibitors.

I work at a radiator shop. Granted all I see are the problem cars but I see 3-4 Dexcool disasters a day. The old green never did this much damage as Dex will.

I have seen a Dex car with 30K a total mess.

I will not use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back