Dewalt grease gun

I've got a 20v Dewalt grease gun. I don't grease that mich, but have a few toys and was swayed with all the complaints of normal grease guns and buy once cry once mentality.

I've been using Lucas Xtra HD for everything so changing cartridges hasn't been an issue.

My Reese Goosebox specifically called for red & tacky so I opened up the Dewalt to change and realized how much grease is EVERYWHERE. I wiped what I could and put the red and tacky in. (Obviously ran it through till most green wasnt coming out of the tube)

I figured that's good enough? Or do you guys actually clean out the plunger, tube holder and everything else? What would I even use to clean it? Brake cleaner? What a mess.

Side note: Btw, I realized it was a big mistake. Took so long and it was such a big mess even going this shortcut route. I should have bought a mini gun and mini red & tacky and called it a day. It barely needed any grease. Now I've got my last 1/3 tube of Xtra HD that I'm not sure I fI should put back in and there are no more at stores.

Articles_200902_grease-compatibility-chart.gif

Figure 1. Relative Compatibility Rating
B = Borderline C = Compatible I = Incompatible

Here is a grease compatibility chart. If the grease type is the same type or compatible, I wouldn't worry about it getting it spotless.

I find it worth keeping a couple grease guns for situations like this.

View attachment 224337

Here is a grease compatibility chart. If the grease type is the same type or compatible, I wouldn't worry about it getting it spotless.

Did you know that a #2 grease has about 8-12% thickener? I wonder if the typical grease compatibility chart tells you if the other 88-92% of blended greases are compatible as well. I guess it really doesn’t matter.

Don’t mind me, I didn’t take my meds today and I’m feeling a little sarcastic and skutchy.

View attachment 224337

What's the best way to get this thing cleaned? Especially that parts of it is connected to sensitive electronics.

Back