Detroits version of the "silly season" begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking this was going to be a "hostile" round of labor negotiations this time around. Now, I'm not so sure, the two sides seem pretty well aligned as far as the big points go. If King can keep the far fringes of his UAW boys from taking over, it appears calmer and more sensible voices will rule the day.

Contract talks begin:Ford fires test balloon

"We cannot afford to slip back into old habits," Fields told the Free Press in an exclusive interview Thursday as the Detroit Three prepare to kick off labor talks this week.

Ford, like General Motors and Chrysler, is leaning toward more profit sharing in lieu of wage increases. It hopes to hire more workers, but at a lower, entry-level wage to bring down its overall costs. "It's important we stay focused on staying competitive," Fields said. As it enters talks, Ford faces a more challenging road than its crosstown rivals."

"Ford held a lottery last week in Louisville, Ky., to narrow a pool of 16,837 applicants for 1,800 jobs it will add to begin making the all-new Ford Escape in November.

That surge of job-seekers illustrates how this year's labor negotiations are different from any that came before. They will be focused more on future workers who won't be able to ratify the deals and the prospect of tying more of current workers' pay to Ford's U.S. profitability.

"There's nothing shameful about wanting to grow jobs in an economic environment where people don't have jobs," said Mark Fields, Ford president of the Americas. "This is not a dirty story. This is ... about growing the business."

===============================================================

It looks to me like Ford is more aligned with where King and one hopes the UAW is...ie...no further cuts, no increases in wages either but willing to look at restructuring profit sharing and the like.

But GM, who enjoys the luxury of a "no strike" cluase this time around, may be looking for further cuts in wages and/or benefits...that may pose a problem for Ford. If they stick to patterned agreements, Ford is the only one faceing a possible strike.

===============================================================

GM goals UAW talks

"General Motors is planning to push for a reduction in health care costs, changes to its profit sharing formula and a reduction in labor costs during contract talks with the UAW.

In 2010, GM spent about $665 million on health care costs for all of its active hourly workers, and it’s a high priority for GM to reduce that cost, said a person familiar with the situation. But the UAW is opposed to cost increases for its active members."

"Arthur Schwartz, a former GM labor negotiator and president of Labor and Economics Associates, said he expects GM, Ford and Chrysler will all seek to lower health care costs for active workers in contract talks that begin next week.

UAW hourly workers pay a smaller share of their health care costs than workers at U.S. plants operated by Asian automakers, Schwartz said.

“It’s the biggest single benefit item by far,” Schwartz said.

At GM, hourly workers pay about 7% of their annual health care costs. On average, American workers with families pay about 33% of their health care premiums, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics."

"Earlier this week, UAW President Bob King said he is open to discussing a change to the company’s profit sharing formula but drew the line when it came to changes in health care contributions.

“There is no justification for any further concessions in this round of bargaining,” King told the Free Press.

Like even Henry Ford understood, you want to pay your "Ford" plant workers enough to actually be able to afford what they are making...it's good for business too.

Originally Posted By: sandy_d
Like even Henry Ford understood, you want to pay your "Ford" plant workers enough to actually be able to afford what they are making...it's good for business too.

I don't know that I could afford a Focus as the ones on the car dealer's lot is loaded with all the bell and whistles of a Beemer.

Does that mean the people who build Mercedes should be paid enough to buy one?

The UAW needs to concede on health care contributions. Period. If I was running Ford, or Boeing, or similar, I'd move the business completely out of the USA. Or at least condense everything in one or more right to work states.

Glad to hear the two sides are more in-line this time around than previously.

I'm betting this thread gets locked quickly.

So nobody has a right to a living wage including Doctors and Lawyers who suck off the insurance system and make it so expensive that a factory worker has to go without.
Why not go the other way and limit lawyers to 10% maximum compensation on all cases and make all doctors and hospitals post prices so we can see what we are paying for just like any other business.
Gee , what a novel idea.....
It was not the auto workers making the system break.
Do you know what it costs to raise a family these days let alone make a livable (American dream) wage?
Backwards thinking is not the answer.
Better yet, lets send those new $10 / hour jobs to your right to work state like we used to and see how many end up collecting food stamps . Oh yeah , they call it a bridge card now. Remember the good old days when the south all lived in poverty. That was not so long ago and might return if we all employ your thinking.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

In other countries you can buy a much cheaper mercedes. So i guess the answer is yes. you're welcome

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Mercedes hands them out like candy to employees through super cheap lease rates.

$16 an hour for starting is good, the alternative is $10 an hour at some [censored] retail store.

09.gif

This thread will be short.

Cut the drama and get to the chase-there will be a few health care reductions and more second wage hires. That's it.

End of story.....

I dont get why anyone would compare doctors and lawyers to autoworkers.

IMHO you get what you invest in.

Much of the auto business has been about replacing people with machines, so the idea of being stuck with new employees doesn't make sense to me.

Also, if unions keep driving up wages, that makes replacing men with machines even more practical.

I can't stand any of the workers of GM and Chrysler for political reasons. When do I get guaranteed that much pay for working in the car business?

Originally Posted By: chad8
and make all doctors and hospitals post prices so we can see what we are paying for just like any other business.

This, I can agree with. Everything in the current system is a shell game. I go see the doctor, they bill my insurance company $195, insurance company pays $40, I pay $20 copay. Why not just tell me up front it costs $60?

Where is the transparency? How can a person compare providers this way? Where are the cash and carry prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back