Detroit Diesel 2-stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by donvalley
Thank you for all the replies! My application is a Detroit Diesel 6V92TA powering a used dump truck I recently purchased, which will be used year round. I'll use a monograde SAE 40 oil as many have recommended. The only brand name oil I've been able to source in my area (Toronto, Ontario) is Chevron Delo 100. Many have posted, however, that Delo 100 is a good oil.

Delo 100 is the prefered oil for the Detroits from everyone I've spoken to. In my area it's hard to get, so I order Shell Rotella through Canadian Tire. If I find a buy on Delo I'll buy some as well. Until I get some time and oil samples on my 4-53T, I'm only going from what people have told me.:)

Delo 100 sae 30,40 or rotella in the same grade is great oil either is available here. Here is the voa on the delo 100 sae 30 CF/SL. This sample is from April 2012.

iron-1
chromium-0
nickel-0
aluminum-3
copper-0
lead-0
tin-0
cadmium-0
silver-0
vanadium-0
silicon-4
sodium-2
potassium-2
titanium-0
moly-103
antimony-1
mang-0
lithium-0
boron-146
magnesium-13
calcium-3297
barium-0
phos-1379
zinc-1647
Vis-11.5
TBN-10.1
Oxidation-8
Nitration-4

At the short line railroad I used to work at everything, and I mean everything with an engine smaller than 567 cubic inches per cylinder got Delo 15W40, not sure of the exact variety as it showed up in 55 gallon drums. There were a few two stroke 4- and 6-92 track machines that didn't seem to mind it, one having gotten a fresh rebuild in house after it lunched a piston ring (it probably had 50K+ hours on it). I never did a UOA or anything but it's still buzzing up and down the right of way a year later.

The locomotives got Delo 710 LE in straight 40 weight, though last I heard Caterpillar (Progress Rail and the remnants of EMD) and GE/Wabtec are now recommending multi weights, even for the two stroke EMD-designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back