Detroit DD16 Best oil

Not trying to start a grudge match, but what do you feel is the best oil for a 2023 DD16 motor, in an environment that can be -35 or 35 C.

Cummins seems to endorse Valvoline oil. I'd run any diesel 5W40 synthetic for your cold climate.
Unless it's a company truck then it's shop oil swill.

Not trying to start a grudge match, but what do you feel is the best oil for a 2023 DD16 motor, in an environment that can be -35 or 35 C.
Detroit specs FA-4 in your DD16. Those are lighter than many FK-4 oils. 10W-30 is common and 5W-30 is available.

Cummins seems to endorse Valvoline oil.
That's a marketing partnership.

I'd run any diesel 5W40 synthetic for your cold climate.
FA-4 oils aren't available in grades heavier than 10W-30.

My experience is that companies who have paid $50,000 for a truck engine don't use swill, and often are happy to buy the good stuff.

Any FA4 5w30, full synthetic in your favorite brand. Mobil / Philips 66 / Chevron / etc. They’re all extremely high quality. All of them in that specific category are going to be very similar since that is a very, very small niche currently.

Last edited:
Of course, I meant what viscosity do they recommend for cold climates?

10W30 recommended.

My employer buys 5W30, and he owns it, so when I do oil changes, or top ups, it gets 5W30.

Someday, I would like to buy my own truck, and use the very best oil for it.

Appreciate the input, I don't know a lot about oil.
Any place I've worked, gas station, towing, logging company, they buy whatever is their choice, and I have to use it. Instead of doing research, and buying the best.

Cummins seems to endorse Valvoline oil. I'd run any diesel 5W40 synthetic for your cold climate.

At $80,000 a motor, they shy away from using swill.
But also it may not be the best, which is why I asked.

Factory fill for Cummins is Delo, least in the KW and Peterbilts I've been around.

Factory fill for the new DD (last couple years) is also Delo.

Granted factory fill isn't necessarily the "best" and some of it $$$ and contracts.

The last truck I drove was a 2018 DD15 and every truck in our fleet (approx. 2500) had Delvac 1300 Super 15-40 in it and we were a 50 state carrier. I know times and equipment have changed. Just saying.

The last truck I drove was a 2018 DD15 and every truck in our fleet (approx. 2500) had Delvac 1300 Super 15-40 in it and we were a 50 state carrier. I know times and equipment have changed. Just saying.

I can't even comprehend a 2500 truck company, mind blown. My boss has 8 trucks, and even 8 seems like a lot.
Someday I hope to own 1.
Thanks for sharing.

I can't even comprehend a 2500 truck company, mind blown. My boss has 8 trucks, and even 8 seems like a lot.
Someday I hope to own 1.
Thanks for sharing.
We were, and they still are a national LTL carrier. Trucks ran almost continuously 24 hrs a day, 6 days a week. When I hired on, they said here is a list of the paid holidays. That does not mean you will be off. Worked a lot of them.

Detroit specs CK-4 with 10W-30 as preferred. We run 400 class 8 dump truck fleet with Delo 400 XLE 10w-30 & Baldwin filters with no issues. We actually use it in everything-on and off road-new or worn out We are a heavy road construction company specializing in concrete paving and tunneling operations. We use 10w30 Delo 400 xle semi-syn in every piece of equipment we own Cat Case Detroit Cummins Paccar Mercedes Mack Volvo Honda and anything with motor. The only thing we don’t use it in is a couple old two-stroke Detroit’s that use straight 40. Never had an oil related issue. Meantime between engine overhaul‘s has actually gone down slightly with the switch to 1030 oil versus 1540.

Thanks again, I am just trying to get everything I need to think of planned out ahead of time, so hopefully when I buy my own, its an easy switch for me.
Would like to build a 40' by 52' shop behind my house.
As long as the trailer is on the truck when I come home, it will fit. Or do I build it 72' long so i can fit when pulling the trailer, is the one question haunting me most.

Back