Detoxing my poor engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Lucas additive stuff is just like a regular little bottle of STP. It just raises the grade.

If it were STP that he added, would you be as concerned with making sure you get it out with multiple oil changes for cleanings?

Soon as you drain the oil, it comes out with it. No matter if it is Lucas or STP.

On the other hand, as I've said many times before to my dad, the only thing Lucas is good at is marketing. But that additive is still just a VII like STP is. No need to be overly concerned.

~ Triton

Man I sure wish I had the oil that was drained, my F-150 is do for a change(that it may or may not get anytime soon)...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Man I sure wish I had the oil that was drained, my F-150 is do for a change(that it may or may not get anytime soon)...

I admit having it changed to begin with was a mistake and it certainly will not be repeated

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
That Lucas additive stuff is just like a regular little bottle of STP. It just raises the grade.

If it were STP that he added, would you be as concerned with making sure you get it out with multiple oil changes for cleanings?

Soon as you drain the oil, it comes out with it. No matter if it is Lucas or STP.

On the other hand, as I've said many times before to my dad, the only thing Lucas is good at is marketing. But that additive is still just a VII like STP is. No need to be overly concerned.

~ Triton

The gods here blessed MMO, Kreen, and MOS2. The gods here ban Lucas products to [censored].

And all the sheep bow down and pray to the gods.

Un farking believable. This is one of the most jacked up threads I've ever seen.

turtlevette, why would you support a product that dilutes your additive package, and most importantly thickens the oil a grade or more...when your premise in other threads is that thicker oil is bad, as it causes more relief flow ?

Give us one good thing that Lucas does that the proper oil in a functional engine doesn't.

You are either wrong here, or wrong in your other threads, which leads one to believe that you are just being combative for it's own sake, not your (variable) position.

Originally Posted By: ChevyTruck
Hey guys. Many years lurking here and absorbing as much information as I can from these boards. I live in Houston Texas and drive a 1990 Chevy 2500 with the 350 Sbc. The previous owner claimed to have bored the engine .030 over and rebuilt in 1998 unknown to me the mileage. It currently has 329,000 miles and is very reliable for its age. For a few years a have had a lifter tick. After getting sick of hearing it tap I took it to a mechanic who offered to bump from 10w-30 to 10w-40. Having read a lot on these boards about bumping up a weight I decided to let him swap it over. I go to pick it up yesterday and he put Lucas oil "stabilizer" in without my consent. I drove it home and it sounded awful. I get the impression on these boards this stuff is basically gear oil and causes foaming. So I had him dump it and replace with 10w-30 this morning. The last oil that was in the truck for any length of time was Mobil 1 High mileage full synthetic and the Mobil filter and I added MMO as replacement oil in an attempt to clean the lifter. Prior I ran red bottle maxlife with a non e core Delco

So my question is how do I detox my motor from that junk. The oil on the dip stick is still pretty sticky.. I was thinking a strict diet of M1 and the M1 filter.

The easiest way of "detoxing" the engine is changing the oil and filter. Then drive, when you reach your miles or time frame for changing the oil, change it. Your engine will be detoxed.

As far as the lifter noise. If you're opposed to trying an additive, live with it, or tear into the engine and find out what's causing the tick.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
turtlevette, why would you support a product that dilutes your additive package, and most importantly thickens the oil a grade or more...when your premise in other threads is that thicker oil is bad, as it causes more relief flow ?

Give us one good thing that Lucas does that the proper oil in a functional engine doesn't.

You are either wrong here, or wrong in your other threads, which leads one to believe that you are just being combative for it's own sake, not your (variable) position.

I take objection to the fervor for which it is hated. It has its place in worn engines transmissions and diffs. The MMO doesn't have any AW either but they don't talk about doing drain and fills to get MMO out. That's not a consistent position either.

Years ago a coworker asked me how he could get his 60s Mustang to quit visibly smoking from the tailpipe. I told him to add cans of STP until it quit. He came back saying he was able to get it inspected with 2 cans of STP. Then he said he drained that garbage out right away. I was left thinking. Why, it kept your POS from smoking.

And I'm slow backing away a bit from the thin oil bias partly because some of your arguments are convincing.

No I don't see a reason for Lucas in the absence of some problem.

The irrational belief that it will harm something and needs to be flushed is what I have a problem with. A waste of new oil. And you have members here supporting that irrational procedure.

Maybe we need an explanation why it is to be feared to that level.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
No I don't see a reason for Lucas in the absence of some problem.

The irrational belief that it will harm something and needs to be flushed is what I have a problem with. A waste of new oil. And you have members here supporting that irrational procedure.

Maybe we need an explanation why it is to be feared to that level.

Three letters, OCD...

If it were in my engine and caused poor or sluggish performance(which I have a hard time believing), I'd have drained approx half and refilled with 5W-20... The half drained would be used at next OCI along with more 5W-20...

I would put in Marvel Mystery oil to get rid of the tick.
All those oil changes were crazy.I did beat him in a way.
I asked for M1 Synthetic.The folks at wally world put in Castrol synthetic.So i made them drain it and put in what i wanted and payed for.Kinda pricey oil change for wall mart.

I take objection to the fervor for which it is hated. It has its place in worn engines transmissions and diffs.

If an engine is that worn and smoking that bad that it needs something that thick to even make the engine appear semi-normal, then the engine needs work. If the varying grades of oil on the shelves aren't good enough for the engine, the engine needs some sort of attention or needs to be junked.

As for MMO, I'm not a giant fan of that, either. When my old F-150 needed cleaning and something to address leaking, I didn't play with MMO or STP or Lucas. I used MaxLife 5w-30 in the winter and Delvac 15w-40 in the summer on very short OCIs until I actually could have the leaks and oil pressure issues addressed mechanically.

Quote:
For a few years a have had a lifter tick.

Cannot believe nobody asked this....
OP,
Did you check the push rod lash/clearance?
I had an 88 S10 that I had to adjust the push rod/rocker lash at 125k due to lifter tick. Ran that truck another 100k with no noise or problems.

Last edited:
The gods here blessed MMO, Kreen, and MOS2. The gods here ban Lucas products to [censored].

And all the sheep bow down and pray to the gods.

Un farking believable. This is one of the most jacked up threads I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I take objection to the fervor for which it is hated. It has its place in worn engines transmissions and diffs. The MMO doesn't have any AW either but they don't talk about doing drain and fills to get MMO out. That's not a consistent position either.

Years ago a coworker asked me how he could get his 60s Mustang to quit visibly smoking from the tailpipe. I told him to add cans of STP until it quit. He came back saying he was able to get it inspected with 2 cans of STP. Then he said he drained that garbage out right away. I was left thinking. Why, it kept your POS from smoking.

And I'm slow backing away a bit from the thin oil bias partly because some of your arguments are convincing.

Thank you, Shannow.

turtlevette, think about it. It's a VII. That's it. It raises the grade of the oil. Whereas Mos2 adds moly to your oil, and thus when used with an oil that has low moly in an engine that needs the moly, it helps. Why use a bottle of VII when you could just pick the right oil grade to begin with?

Apples and oranges, turtlevette. They aren't the same thing.

~ Triton

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Quote:

OP,
I had an 88 S10 that I had to adjust the push rod/rocker lash at 125k due to lifter tick. Ran that truck another 100k with no noise or problems.
m

I'll have to check that next OCI. Thanks for the suggestion

Originally Posted By: ChevyTruck
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Quote:

OP,
m

I'll have to check that next OCI. Thanks for the suggestion

And maybe just use a conventional oil my old 350 used to be quieter on PYB than any synthetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back