Detailed - 2015 Toyota Avalon w/CQuartz TiO2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner of this 2015 Avalon has seen my work on a few other vehicles and requested for his car to be corrected and "coated." He was quite impressed by the dirt-repelling capabilities from CQuartz UK on my girlfriend's car, so he specifically requested for a similar product to be used on his vehicle.

Up until now, this vehicle had been washed by a local "hand wash" car wash. There are many of these places in Southern California and the quality of their work can vary significantly. Clearly, the one that has been maintaining this car has done some serious destruction to the finish!

After a wash using Meguiars Hyper Wash and a decontamination using Nanoskin's fine-grade wash mitt, this is the damage that I found:

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

Interestingly enough, the owner had no specific concerns regarding the condition of his paint. But needless to say, the paint's condition had to be improved before I coated the vehicle.

For compounding, I used Meguiars M100 and a Rupes yellow foam polishing pad on the Rupes LHR21 for the hood, roof and fenders. This combination finished fairly well but sometimes required multiple passes to obtain the desired results. In the interest of efficiency, the rest of the vehicle was corrected with a Flex PE-14 rotary. On the sections that were done with a rotary, I used Meguiars M100 with a Meguiars WRFP7 pad to compound, but followed up with Meguiars M205 with the same pad to refine.

For final polishing, the entire car was finished down using the new CarPro Essence on the Rupes LHR21 DA with a foam polishing pad. CarPro Essence is a new product to CarPro's line-up and is used as a "primer" for their CQuartz line of coatings. This product also has some semi-permanent filling capabilities.

After polishing, two coats of CQuartz TiO2 (Classic) was applied. Here's a picture of the coating being applied onto the vehicle (it had just been applied and was beginning to "flash"):

Untitled by Michael Wan, on Flickr

CQuartz TiO2 is a Quartz and Titanium based hybrid coating that should provide up to 2 years of protection. It is a different formulation than the popular CQuartz UK; this version of CQuartz is easier to apply in warmer climates and also provides better gloss (but with less of a darkening effect). The only downside is that 2 coats are required, so the amount of product used is much higher (I used about 35ml on this car) and the time commitment is far greater (about 4 hours to apply two coats).

And this is the final product (went back 2 days later to take these pictures):

2 by The Critic, on Flickr

3 by The Critic, on Flickr

I think the total time spent was about 15 hours. The owner is now in possession of a wash kit containing rinseless wash, proper towels, grit-guard, etc -- so hopefully this car will stay in good shape for a while. The paint is fairly soft but the coating should help reduce some of the wash-induced marring.

- TC

Looks great! 15 hours of work is the only downside... But the time really paid off in looks!

Very nice. Is that like a dark dark green metalflake, or a blue? In your first and last final product pics, it looks black; but there is clearly something metallic deep in that paint.

Nicely done. Hope the car wash doesn't undo all your hard work.

Have you spoken to the owner about a microfiber-only cleaning regimen?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
CarPro Essence is a new product to CarPro's line-up and is used as a "primer" for their CQuartz line of coatings. This product also has some semi-permanent filling capabilities.

CQuartz TiO2 is a Quartz and Titanium based hybrid coating that should provide up to 2 years of protection. It is a different formulation than the popular CQuartz UK; this version of CQuartz is easier to apply in warmer climates and also provides better gloss (but with less of a darkening effect). The only downside is that 2 coats are required, so the amount of product used is much higher (I used about 35ml on this car) and the time commitment is far greater (about 4 hours to apply two coats).

- TC

Looking good TC.

What did you think of the Essence? I have it, but haven't used it yet.

2 coats are required? Where did you hear that? I haven't seen it mentioned before and I have spoken to Corey @ CarPro a few times about TiO2 and he has never mentioned it.

Thanks

Zeuss-

2 coats are not required but recommended for overall product build and protection... one coat could suffice but it probably wouldn't live up to the 24 months as is typical with 2 coats.

The owner is now in possession of a wash kit containing rinseless wash, proper towels, grit-guard, etc --

Nice work! What rinseless wash and towels did you get for the customer? I want to put together a kit for my brother.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Very nice. Is that like a dark dark green metalflake, or a blue? In your first and last final product pics, it looks black; but there is clearly something metallic deep in that paint.

The car is black but the color contains both green and blue metallic flake.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Very good work.Did you get a big tip?

I'll just say that the owner was not charged the market rate for this job - which would have been $900-$1200.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Nicely done. Hope the car wash doesn't undo all your hard work.

Have you spoken to the owner about a microfiber-only cleaning regimen?

I gave them a wash kit for maintenance and advised him to only rinseless wash the car or use a touchless car wash.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

Looking good TC.

What did you think of the Essence? I have it, but haven't used it yet.

2 coats are required? Where did you hear that? I haven't seen it mentioned before and I have spoken to Corey @ CarPro a few times about TiO2 and he has never mentioned it.

Thanks

It can be a bit finicky to use until you get proficient with it. But when you do, it finishes beautifully and the built-in SiO2 will take gloss to a new level. The product only has mild abrasives so I would not use it to finish down after heavy compounding. The fillers are not terribly heavy either....for instance I tested Essence on a polishing pad (with the rotary) to finish down after compounding with M100, and I was still able to see faint trails in the sun.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The owner is now in possession of a wash kit containing rinseless wash, proper towels, grit-guard, etc --

Nice work! What rinseless wash and towels did you get for the customer? I want to put together a kit for my brother.

The kit contained a five gallon bucket, a gallon of Meguiars D114, a grit guard, 2 auto fiber zero-cuff mitt mitts, a Microfiber Madness WaveRider Jr towel and a Wheel Whoolie Medium.

Last edited:
Great work! I've been itching to do a coating like this to the Camry. When I took delivery of it I told them not to dare wash it or they would be ordering me a new one. Proper washing over the year I've had it it only needs a decon and then a coating.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

Thanks

Forgot to answer this earlier. This is what I am going by:

Code:

Directions:

Apply in shade only and not on hot surfaces

After polishing your vehicle use CarPro Eraser to wipe down the surface to ensure no oils are left from polishing

Wrap a mf Suede (included) around the applicator block (also included)

Wrap Suede over the gray side of the foam applicator block.

Shake CQuartz well and apply a few drops to the applicator

Drag one or two lines of product down the applicator.

Wipe access surface in crisscross pattern. Add more product as needed.

Wait between 1-5 minutes depending on temps, humidity, and paint and find the right window to wipe when you’re doing your first panel. Generally in summer temps 2-3 min. Too soon and it will just be oily and no grab to it when wiping. Too late and it becomes hard to remove.

Additional coats may be applied with 45-60 minutes or wait until the following day if you are beyond 60 minutes. CarPro recommends 2 coats

http://www.carpro-us.com/coatings-sealants-spray-wax/cquartz-tio2-50ml-kit/

Originally Posted By: Delta
Great work! I've been itching to do a coating like this to the Camry. When I took delivery of it I told them not to dare wash it or they would be ordering me a new one. Proper washing over the year I've had it it only needs a decon and then a coating.

Sounds great - but I would definitely polish the paint with Essence prior to coating. It acts a primer for CQuartz coatings and at a minimum, will clean up the surface. Even if the paint is in good condition after decon, IPA or eraser usually cannot get a surface clean enough for a coating to properly bond.

Simply outstanding results. The flake literally jumps out at you where it couldn't really be seen before your hard work.

Our 2013 Corolla is about due for a decent polish by now. I've kept it clayed and sealed, polished parts here and there when they get scratched or scuffed. About time for a full vehicle detail though... This looks like an awesome job you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back