Dents in Subframe from Floor Jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This mainly pertains to my saturn sl1 99. when I jack the car up I have been using the sub frame to do so(the recommended jack point on the car is the pinch welds, but I am afraid a normal floor jack would bugger those up without some type of adapter.) Yesterday during my oil change I noticed I had put a small dent in the subframe.

My first question: is this likely cosmetic, or is it possible I messed the frame up, and messed the alignment up? (I assume its fine, and only cosmetic since its only a tiny dent, maybe a inch long, and only milimeters wide, from one of the lips on the jack pad of the floor jack)

My second question: is the subframe not safe to use a floor jack on? If its not can you recommend any other point that may be safe? The jack in use is a 3 ton harbor frieght floor jack?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I've always used the stock pinch weld jack points with my floor jack. Only thing I do is to make sure I align the "teeth" of the floor jack cup so that the weld lies across two of the low points.

For my Honda Element, I just use the specific jack points as approved from the manual, the 4 pinch welds on each corner, plus the tow hook in the back, and the middle of the cross member in the front.

I use the same floor jack on all those points.

Thanks I will try the pinch welds next time, and see what happens. I may try to pickup/or make one of those pinch weld adapters to distribute the weight better. I am lucky as far as my forte goes, it has a giant metal beam in the front, with a toe hook, I can lift the whole front end up with ease.. I assume thats a safe place to place a floor jack
eek.gif

Last edited:
I used the same jack point on my Taurus for a long time on the sub frame and never had a problem, but the other day i jacked it up and rust is finally catching up to it and it was collapsing inwards. I am guessing you might have a rust issue also weakining the metal.

Did you do it coming in from the rear of the front tire, to get that round thing with the bolt through it that bolts up to the firewall?

I would not jack anywhere else on a s-series subframe. Definitely not under where the lower control arms come in for example, nor the sway bar brackets.

A dent in the donut-ty thing won't mess up your alignment.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I used the same jack point on my Taurus for a long time on the sub frame and never had a problem, but the other day i jacked it up and rust is finally catching up to it and it was collapsing inwards. I am guessing you might have a rust issue also weakining the metal.

yep, the saturn is a 99 so is your taurus, probably just age shinning through

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did you do it coming in from the rear of the front tire, to get that round thing with the bolt through it that bolts up to the firewall?

I would not jack anywhere else on a s-series subframe. Definitely not under where the lower control arms come in for example, nor the sway bar brackets.

A dent in the donut-ty thing won't mess up your alignment.

Hey eljefino, I came in from the front, I will try your recommended spot. I have a image below, where I have put a square are the spots where I have placed a floor jack, and these are the spots that have the dents in them now, I am not sure what the dount-ty things is
crazy.gif

Are the sway bar brackets a safe place? They look fairly sturdy.. ?

ZT2DmHQ.png

(My text got a little cut off, the box should read "This is where I have been placing my floor jack")

Last edited:
Personally, I think that putting all that weight on the edge of the sway bar bushing mount sheet metal might be too much.

Your old jack point looks better than the sway bar mount. I'd still stick to the pinch welds though.

Never jack up a car on a suspension mount.

Throw a block of wood between the jack and the car to prevent denting if it bothers you.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Throw a block of wood between the jack and the car to prevent denting if it bothers you.

The denting doesn't bother me I suppose especially on a 15 year old car I plan on driving until it dies, I am more worried about throwing my alignment off, or bending the frame in a way that messes up alignment. If I will not throw the alignment off I can continue to use those points to jack the car up.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

This^^ , it distributes the weight over a larger area .

If you do this for oil changers buy or build some drive up ramps , much easier !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back