Dented FRAM Ultras--What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I would wonder most about the bottom and the seal. Is it still perfectly flat?
Yes, the base plate was not affected in any way--only the side of the filter near the bypass end.

We have a regional retailer here that frequently offers Fram oil filters at BOGO 50% off.
Combine that with their frequent auto dept coupons where you can stack both dollars off and percent off coupons and I can get down to around $5.03 on Ultras that carry a normal self price of $8.99 if I buy in quantities of six to take advantage of all available store discounts.
Were this not the case, I wouldn't have any Ultras on deck waiting for their moment of glory on an engine.
Like most folks here, there's no way I'd pay nine bucks for a fairly common application oil filter.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

They are mild steel cans, and under pressure from the inside, so either nothing will happen with the dent, or the dent will be popped out by oil pressure and then nothing will happen.
I would still use them, but just to be safe I'd inspect the filter after giving the engine a decent rev with cold oil to send the filter into bypass mode.
If the filter can was under vacuum or pressure from the outside, then sure a dent would be a big deal.

Please know what you are talking about before responding. A dent is a big deal.
It is called stress fatigue. A dent will cause a weak spot, and under pressure that spot can flex, and metal flexing thousands of times can and will crack.

Baldwin has a specific web page regarding this, and Wix even has a video to help explain it.

come on dude, your usage of the words "stress fatigue" makes me see double

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back