Denso spark plug authenticity check

[Linked Image]

Tip of Denso IK20TT 4702 From Rock Auto, Fresno, CA

Originally Posted by G.Frost
[Linked Image]

Tip of Denso IK20TT 4702 From Rock Auto, Fresno, CA

Can you add in a photo of the entire plug with the Denso and model lettering?

[Linked Image]

Hope this is high enough resolution...

Thanks for that.
Are the stamped words "assembled in....." on the ring really straight/parallel or sort of like mine?

If you need to show a high resolution, it's best to post it somewhere else like Imgur or some other image/photo hosting site. This forum s/w drastically reduces the resolution of uploaded images (there's not even a "Click image to see full version" option).

Originally Posted by wing0
[Linked Image]

Thanks for that.
Are the stamped words "assembled in....." on the ring really straight/parallel or sort of like mine?

I think I saw something like that on a set of Amazon-sourced Denso SK20R-11s I installed 4 years ago. And maybe the same case for another set of Toyota-boxed SK16R-11.

I owe my parents an oil change so I'll pull the front three plugs and photograph them. Sometime within the month?

Never buy auto parts from ebay or amazon where the seller is not listed as an authorized dealer.
They are mostly fake, my buddy bought brake rotors from ebay which were fake many years back.

I bought some other Denso long life plugs for a Honda like 4 years ago from Amazon.com.
I didn't even think much of it and just installed them. Now I am worried, but to pull the plugs, I gotta take out the cowls and various things so it's not fun.
[Linked Image]

I got burned on using some Denso Iridium Power plugs for my van. After 35,000 miles, 3 out 6 plugs were down to the nub---the iridium tip was completely gone. The gap was maybe double what it was supposed to be. Van started running poorly was how I found out.

I preferred Denso and NGK before this experience. I replaced the bad Denso plugs with Autolite Double Platinum---van now runs great.

I'll probably go with Autolite moving forward, as I cannot tell a difference between new plugs, and it seems like it is too risky to install Denso or NGK, what with so many counterfeits out there. Changing the plugs on this van was a huge pain. I don't want to have to do it again.

Last edited:
I would sure like to see some close-up photos of the fake NGK and Denso iridium tips, brand new, BEFORE they are burned off. I would think the tell tale would be revealed on the quality of the welded tip(s).... if they have a welded tip at all?

I'm planning on using the Denso IK20TT (pictured above from Rock Auto) in a 2004 Accord V6 unless someone can point out how they are fake. I'm in no hurry to install as I'm a bit ahead of scheduled replacement.

I would sure like to see some close-up photos of the fake NGK and Denso iridium tips, brand new, BEFORE they are burned off. I would think the tell tale would be revealed on the quality of the welded tip(s).... if they have a welded tip at all?

I'm planning on using the Denso IK20TT (pictured above from Rock Auto) in a 2004 Accord V6 unless someone can point out how they are fake. I'm in no hurry to install as I'm a bit ahead of scheduled replacement.

Rock Auto is probably fine. You don't have fakes
smile.gif

Google the return address, if you still have the original box the warehouse shipped them in

I just pulled 8 densos from my tundra that I got from eBay last year.

Seller is still actively selling these one ebay but Ebay wont do anything to help with refund or return. I did report listing

Have about 12k on them. Gaps look pretty bad and the threads seemed to stick and we're a little rough To remove. Luckily they all came out in one piece.
[Linked Image]

Glad I got them all swapped out. I bought Toyota oem plugs (densos) straight from a lexus/Toyota dealer. New plugs had the blue color at the tip

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the wording stamped on the "counterfeit" plugs reads - assembled in USA with Japan and us parts and they were shipped from CHINA!

Seems really obvious now, but at the time it didn't even think about them being counterfeit

Here is a pic of the new oem plug showing the blue tip

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Luckily you removed them when you did. I took mine out of the Tundra and Tacoma. The whole time I cringed thinking what if. Its a lesson learned.

Back