Denso first time fit spark plugs wires on GM vehicles and

I bought Denso first time fit spark plug wires for my car 3800 V6 as it was cheaper than AC Delco wires. I learned that Denso first time fit is second tiered similar to AC Delco professional. Any one has experience with Denso first time fit spark plug wires in a GM vehicles.

Are original equipment plug wires even available for Series 2 3800's anymore, Some of the last engines to use Packard plug wires which were VERY well made.

About the only engine I work on with plug wires are GM LSx engines, Use AC-Delco OE if available, Some newer applications fit older engines/coils.

I say....Try the Denso's & see what happens.

IME, I haven’t been thrilled with Denso wires. They are probably made by the same supplier for AutoZone/O’Reilly - BWD(Standard) or another firm. But it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Are original equipment plug wires even available for Series 2 3800's anymore, Some of the last engines to use Packard plug wires which were VERY well made.

About the only engine I work on with plug wires are GM LSx engines, Use AC-Delco OE if available, Some newer applications fit older engines/coils.

I say....Try the Denso's & see what happens.
When I ordered them a month ago GM genuine was not available in Rock auto, Under premium Denso was available so I bought thinking it is Toyota OEM. This week, GM OE spark plug wires are available, I cannot return Denso since it has been more than a month. I don't know if should order the GM OE wires.

I bought Denso first time fit spark plug wires for my car 3800 V6 as it was cheaper than AC Delco wires. I learned that Denso first time fit is second tiered similar to AC Delco professional. Any one has experience with Denso first time fit spark plug wires in a GM vehicles.
"Second tiered"? What does that mean exactly and where did you learn that?

A few Japanese brands used to import PACKARD secondary cables from the U.S.A. I suppose even they knew of the "special sauce" to make them work without cross-firing or leaking to GND.

That's what worked when I was busy as a mechanic and engine builder.

- Ken

"Second tiered"? What does that mean exactly and where did you learn that?
Denso has two brands, Denso OEM and Denso aftermarket ( first time fit) just like AC Delco OE and AC Delco professional brand.

Denso stuff is great when they were OE for the application. The aftermarket line is fairly close to the original part. But for all other brands, I consider them to be just another average aftermarket part.

A few Japanese brands used to import PACKARD secondary cables from the U.S.A. I suppose even they knew of the "special sauce" to make them work without cross-firing or leaking to GND.

That's what worked when I was busy as a mechanic and engine builder.

- Ken
I’ve seen Delco Packard and Bougicord on Subarus, more so the former given the GM connection(before Toyota bought a stake in Fuji Heavy Industries). OE for Japanese cars tended to be Sumitomo or Yazaki, but Nissan tended to use Prestolite cables.

Denso’s wires aren’t from one of the Japanese wiring OEs or even Seiwa, who makes NGK’s wires. They are made in the US, I believe by one of the companies who supply the parts chains.

Denso’s wires aren’t from one of the Japanese wiring OEs or even Seiwa, who makes NGK’s wires. They are made in the US, I believe by one of the companies who supply the parts chains.
Yes, this makes total sense.

My choice would be NGK since they're numbered and come in a nice blue color :cool:

NGK makes great stuff, and their wires should be great for your 3800. Pair them with NGK iridium or ruthenium, so you won't have to do the job again for a long time :)

Otherwise, OE is good too.

Back