delvac 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question concening mobil delvac 1300 15w40. With all the sub-zero weather in the south just how cold would it have to be before that weight would be to thick to use? On the mobil site it states a pumpability spec of -22f.

Just how cold would it have to be before this oil is to thick to use in my durmax?

I understand what the om says. What i would like to know is how cold is to cold for this oil and when would say a 10w30 or 5w40 be better sutited.

Originally Posted By: simplistic
I understand what the om says. What i would like to know is how cold is to cold for this oil and when would say a 10w30 or 5w40 be better sutited.

There isn't a universal answer -- it depends entirely on the application.

As an example of application being important.

I ran 10w40 Maxlife Diesel blend in my TX4 Taxi and the Clio

The Clio turned over really slowlt when it was cold but the Taxi was the same as usual.

These were temps of -5oC so not that cold really.

I was refering to Ramblejam.

Same oil in different cars is two different applications

In my situation 10w40 Maxlife Diesel worked well in one and was detrimental to cold cranking speed in an other.

Both vehicles were within allowed oil viscosities for the temperatures at the time.

When running both vehicles on 0w40 Mobil 1 at the next change they both started as per normal.

So 0w40 worked perfectly in each application.

Hopefully that makes more sense. But i have onlt had a few hours sleep so possibly not.

Yes what you said makes complete sense. This is one of these things i am go to have to try and see what if any problems arise.

My example-my '02 Ram, with the electronically controlled Bosch VP44 injection pump would start INSTANTLY with dino 15W40 in the sump, down to -5F. The '06 in my sig has the CP3 pump with common rail-it doesn't like to start cold unplugged below freezing with 15W40. But on 5W40 (currently M1 TDT), no problem.

I wouldn't use a 15W oil in sub zero temperatures without a water jacket heater and maybe also an oil sump heater. The diesel engine has to crank fast enough to build the temperature of the compressed air in the combustion chamber high enough to ignite the fuel. While the different type of combustion air heaters are a big help, the engine will still be hard to start and burn the fuel very poorly until some heat is built up. The oil will be like caramel ice cream syrup and not flow well to the parts than need lubrication. It'll probably work OK for a few times, but wear will be increased. Don't idle the cold engine much. As soon as it will run smoothly, drive it easy.

I like to run Rotella T6 year round for that reason.

It's probably overkill but easy starts and the promise of some improved fuel economy offset the additional cost of the synthetic.

I currently have mobil tdt in there now, and below 0 fires right up even without the block heater pluged in. I guess i'll contunie to run tdt just for the reasons posited above.

Was hoping to get away from the $75 oil changes. However i guess changes every 15k miles and small bump in fuel economy helpes to offset the expence.

What about rotella t-5? What's your all's thoughts on running that year round.

What about rotella t-5? What's your all's thoughts on running that year round.

Unless you're putting some incredible stressor on that Duramax, I'd actually prefer Rotella T5 10w-30 (over 15w-40). $16/gallon @ WalMart.

I have a question concening mobil delvac 1300 15w40. With all the sub-zero weather in the south just how cold would it have to be before that weight would be to thick to use? On the mobil site it states a pumpability spec of -22f.

Just how cold would it have to be before this oil is to thick to use in my durmax?

It will be fine; leave it in there. This is a non-normal winter for the Midwest. While unexpected, it's not so horrid as to necessitate a drain.

Your question needs to be split into two topics:
1) what does it mean to wear?
2) what does it mean to starting?

1) the Dmax is about the best-wearing light-duty diesel engine ever put in a truck; the 15w-40 will be fine in your area. There is no statistical data to show that grade detrimental at those temps; your engine will be fine.
2) the Dmax uses a common-rail injection system with the aide of intake heater; it will start just fine as long as you have good strong batteries.

Now, if you lived in an area that routinely got much colder on a much more frequent basis, then I'd agree to use a lube with a "better" cold pumping cold flow ability, but you don't, so it's moot.

In short, you're fine.

Last edited:
Considering that thousands of commercial semi trucks are using a 15w40, even in the northern tier of the country, I would have no problem using the 1300 even to -10F. Thousands of trucks do it every day, and we take those engines to over 1 million miles without an overhaul. I stay up north all winter long, and I am using a 15w40 syn blend. A little lower pour point than the Delvac, but not that significant of the difference.

If worried about it sitting overnight and oil will be like molasses, then put an oil pan heater pad on the pan and put it on a timer. The oil will flow like summer time when you start the engine. When I sit my truck, even at -25F overnight, my 15w40 is moving just like it is 70F outside.

http://www.wolverineheater.com

When I'm at home and it's sub zero cold i use the block heater every chance i get. The issue would be when im at work and have no possable way to plug in the block heater and it sits for 8-30hrs at a time.

It's the cold soak start that I was concerned about.

Well, then do what you feel you need to do! If it is cold enough, and it makes you feel better, them move on up to a 5w40 synthetic for easier cold starting. I have never used a diesel as a daily driver to work type of thing, so have no perspective. My diesels, when they sit for more than a few hours, they are going to get plugged in. Or, in the case of my semi on the road, it will get started every few hours and warmed up a little if the temps are going to be below 0F. Above that, it can sit longer. On my smaller diesels, they are used for other business purposes, so they get plugged in when they sit. For a daily driver to work, if I had to do that, I would stick with a gas engine. Just me. And I have know others that drove their diesels to work in the cold weather and arranged something at their workplace to park out back or something and use an extension cord and plug in. My son does that at his factory workplace with his Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back