Delvac 1 in 3.5HP mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read through several posts recently and did not see much mention of using Delvac 1 in low HP mowers. I recently bought a 3.5HP Tecumseh push mower and am about to change out the 'break in' oil. I will likely start using synthetic, but the manual says that using Xw40 oils may cause excess consumption. The manual says to use an SL/SJ rated oil (SAE 30 for the temps here) & the bottle of Delvac I have now is rated SL. I already use Delvac in my vehicles, so do you guys think I will have any problems using it in the mower?? The temps here during the summer are between 20 & 30 deg C. (70 & 90 deg F or so).

Thanks guys, for you input. I know that Delvac is a bit of overkill for the mower, but I already have a gallon of this on hand at any given time, and it will save me the hassle of remembering to buy a separate quart of oil every now and again. I'll be monitoring consumption closely as well during the cutting season.

"... but the manual says that using Xw40 oils may cause excess consumption."

Use the Delvac 1 ... or pretty much any 15W-40 on the market and prove them wrong.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

"Use the Delvac 1 ... or pretty much any 15W-40 on the market and prove them wrong. "

Sounds like a plan! I guess I'll be doing an oil change on the mower this weekend. I almost can't wait to tell a few friends that I am using $40/gal diesel synthetic oil in my lawn mower! Looks like after this weekend, I'll be an official 'oil nut'.
grin.gif

My mower has Mobil Truck&SUV 5w40 in it, and the 5w part makes it really easy to pull start when it's still cold.

I'm currently trying to adjust the unadjustable carburetor, because it's running WAY too rich, and putting out over 6% carbon monoxide in the exhaust. I need to find just the right size wire to feed up into the main jet and block it off a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
I'm currently trying to adjust the unadjustable carburetor, because it's running WAY too rich, and putting out over 6% carbon monoxide in the exhaust. I need to find just the right size wire to feed up into the main jet and block it off a bit.

Did you check for a plugged air filter?

" ... I need to find just the right size wire to feed up into the main jet and block it off a bit. "
The wire I wrapped in the main jet made little difference for my 6hp B&S Quantum, but the 'high altitude main jet' (despite my low altitude location), from the parts list provides a nice light gray color on the spark plug.

high altitude main jet -- That would be a good idea, but I think the plastic carburetor would break by the time I got the old one out. Putting in the wire and using gasohol has brought down the CO to around 1%. The air filter wass freshly washed. All the lawn mowers seem to be set up to run very rich, and produce lots of carbon monoxide.

I tried 20w50 oil in this last year, and in cold weather, it became harder to pull the starter and get it going fast enough to start.

Dad used the lawnmower on the weekend, and "hit something". The engine no longer turns easily. The braking mechanism is not stuck, so it must be a crooked crankshaft. Oh well.

looking at new mowers... In case anyone lives in this area, there's one at the Wal Mart in Scarborough Town Centre, that has no oil in it, yet has gas residue in the tank, and a few grass clippings on the *top* surface of the blade. Someone might have returned it to the store after realizing they ran it without oil, and cleaned it up really well (except for the top of the balde, I discovered). It's an MDT mulcher with the 5.0 hp Briggs Quantum XRQ motor. The Wal Mart staff says "no, this is not a return".

I ran some Auto RX in my old BS engine. When I drained out the sludge I put in a bottle I had left over of Syn Power 10/30. I used it a couple times and thought nothing of it to check the oil till I started it one day and smoke came out for about 3-5 min. when I finished the yard I checked the oil and none on the stick.So I filled it up with Chevron Supream thinking I never did the rince cycle
pat.gif
I hope this works and didn't start having a oil burner.
shocked.gif

dropitby, is it possible you might have left the drain plug loose? I'm no fan of Synpower but I can't imagine your engine consumed that much oil, that quickly.
shocked.gif

--- Bror Jace

If you want thin stainless wire of varous diameters, make friends with a guitar player. Ask him for some of his old strings. You can get all sizes from .008 to .060 and even bigger with bass strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back