Delvac 1 5w-40/15.7k kms/Porsche Boxster 2.7 (986)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
this is the latest Used Oil Analysis results from my Porsche Boxster (986) 2.7ltr Tiptronic

Engine data
M9622 & Tiptronic @ 98677kms (61260miles)

Operation over 15677kms (9730 miles) - 10 months
A number of long high speed trips (85%) and a small amount (15%) of Urban running
Revs rarely above 6k

Australian Tropics - high humidity (up to 98%)

Lubricant
Mobil's Delvac 1 5w-40 (CI-4/SL)

Lubricant condition
Nitration = 14 Abs/cm
Viscosity @ 40C = 88cSt
TBN 6.4
PQ Index
Elemental analysis
Iron = 12
Aluminium = Chromium = 1
Copper = 10
Lead = 1
Potassium = 6
Silicon = 18 (up due to gasket sealant)
Sodium = 5

Oil consumption = nil

Summary
Whilst still suitable for continued use I changed the lubricant and the filter due to an impending long (3300kms/2070miles) high speed journey (now over)

Looks good to me.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
PQ Index
Here's what I found on PQ Index...a nice data point to have. It indicates that your sample's ferrous wear particles are mostly less than 5 microns in size.
Quote:
HOW PQ WORKS
PQ exposes samples to a magnetic field. Those containing ferrous metals cause a distortion in the field, which is represented as the PQ Index, an arbitrary unit of measurement that correlates well with DR ferro large. The PQ90 is designed to monitor trends. It does not provide a ratio of small to large particles as does DR. However, if the PQ Index is smaller than an FE ppm by ICP, it's unlikely that particles larger than 5 microns are present. If the PQ Index increases dramatically while the ICP's FE ppm remains consistent or goes down, larger ferros particles are being generated and further testing or diagnostics would likely be recommended.

Hi,
buster/JAG - I have always (last several years) insisted on the PQ Index as part of my UOAs. This UOA was done in Mobil's Commercial Lab. in Melbourne. I sometimes use Castrol's Lab in Sydney too and they do the PQ Index test as well

Yes the PQ looks useful - something to get another viewpoint, not just dissolved Fe.

Nice wearing engine. Great TBN retention. Mostly highway, with an 8+qt sump you could have gone longer with no issues.

great run. Look at that tbn. I wish these car makers would give us 5 quart sumps at minimun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back