Deltran 4 amp charger

I wondered if anyone else has used the Deltran 4 amp charger. I recently bought one and something does not seem right about it. I have 2 vehicles that are not driven much and the battery voltage will drop to the 12.3 range after a month. I had been putting my Deltran 1.25 amp on them, but it takes 2 days to top them off. That's why I got the 4 amp. Anyway, the 4 amp will charge for about 10 minutes and the green light will blink, indicating 80% charge. After another 10 minutes it will be solid green indicating full charge. I don't believe this can be. I would think it would take at least 5-6 hours or more to fully charge.

If it's starting from a 12.3v battery, there's no way it can be finished yet. 12.3 volts is only half charged assuming the battery is not worn out.

I emailed back and forth to Deltran, but I cannot get them to understand that.

maybe your battery is bad?

Another car leave the headlights on for 30 min.. see how it charges?

I have noticed this anomaly with some of my tenders before and I believe it is a function of a worn battery with limited capacity or a bad cell. Have you load tested the battery to confirm it is healthy?

I have an Ancel BA101 load tester that I use. It says batteries are good, just re-charge. I have tried the Deltran 4 amp on 2 car batteries and 2 lawn mower batteries, one of which is brand new. I was just looking for a battery charger that would charge faster than my old Deltran 1.25 amp, which has worked well and that is why I bought another Deltran. But after using the Deltran 4 amp and it charges in just a few minutes and shows full charge, you can take off the surface charge and the battery is back to where it was.

Hmm. It is also entirely possible they are not honest in what the charger is doing based on the indicator lights. In other words "full" is only 80% or some such. I no longer use Deltran, except for a small Lithium charger them make, that I use on my motorcycle.

Perhaps time for a different charger, or just continue to use the smaller Deltran. The smaller ones do seem to charge more completely in my experience.

I'm partial to Battery Minder and Battery Saver brands presently, I have a couple of each, that are my primary right now. My current ones range from 2amp to 8amp, but I mostly use them in the 2 to 4 amp settings. Lower is recommended in the user manual of the Battery Minder, unless speed is required.

Except of my daily driver, I leave my other cars and motorcyle on a battery maintainer constantly.

Back