Delo 400 SDE 15w-40 Pour Point?

JHZR2

Staff member
27643607-2AA0-4225-999B-3227595A3250.jpg

While the other competitive 15w-40 HDEOs are pouring at -33 to -36, chevron is claiming theirs pours at -45. Is this believable?

I verified that their 10w-30 was a different value, -47F IIRC, so it’s not just a cut and paste issue…

Thoughts? This is a decent number, though I appreciate that pour point isn’t everything, and does not by itself a decent oil make…

According to the SDS, it's 70-99% highly refined mineral oil, so maybe some really good PPD's? Either that, or the number is wrong, lol.

Bizarre, because the CCS and MRV figures aren't spectacular. I was joking about the PPD's, but perhaps Chevron really does have some good ones.
Yeah, that’s what made me wonder about it. Other parameters seem pretty normal.

DELVAC is cheap, Kirkland is cheap… I can get delo for $31/2.5 gals… still cheap buy not as cheap, lol….

But if there is something special in it, it’s readily available and I’ll go for it…

View attachment 74424
While the other competitive 15w-40 HDEOs are pouring at -33 to -36, chevron is claiming theirs pours at -45. Is this believable?

I verified that their 10w-30 was a different value, -47F IIRC, so it’s not just a cut and paste issue…

Thoughts? This is a decent number, though I appreciate that pour point isn’t everything, and does not by itself a decent oil make…
Yes, their catalytic dewaxing aka "isodewaxing" process is very advanced and removes most of the stuff that starts solidifying when it gets very cold. ISOSYN is the marketing term they use but it's not just rainbows and unicorns. The process can create base oils with a natural VI of 140 using petroleum or even 100% wax.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s what made me wonder about it. Other parameters seem pretty normal.

DELVAC is cheap, Kirkland is cheap… I can get delo for $31/2.5 gals… still cheap buy not as cheap, lol….

But if there is something special in it, it’s readily available and I’ll go for it…
It's great (especially the XLE) if you want to use a 15w40 at temperatures of -10°F - 32°F, and the only 15w40 I would even consider using at those temps.

It's great (especially the XLE) if you want to use a 15w40 at temperatures of -10°F - 32°F, and the only 15w40 I would even consider using at those temps.
I wouldn’t run a 15w-40 knowingly and intentionally below 3-5F, if not higher… the daimler and Cummins viscosity charts validate that.

I wouldn’t run a 15w-40 knowingly and intentionally below 3-5F, if not higher… the daimler and Cummins viscosity charts validate that.

I agree, I don't drive my truck unless the day time high will be 5F or more. I plug it in at night so the morning drive is not the worry, it's the drive home...

Just my $0.02

Yes, their catalytic dewaxing aka "isodewaxing" process is very advanced and removes most of the stuff that starts solidifying when it gets very cold. ISOSYN is the marketing term they use but it's not just rainbows and unicorns. The process can create base oils with a natural VI of 140 using petroleum or even 100% wax.
Somewhat unrelated but Irving oil does the same thing with their diesel fuel in the winter. Low cloud points with no additives

don't really know what to believe.

T4 is supposedly -36c while delo is -43c so delo should be the obvious winner but the vid shows a different story.

don't really know what to believe.

T4 is supposedly -36c while delo is -43c so delo should be the obvious winner but the vid shows a different story.

There's nothing really scientific about that test, it was chilled to a temperature you'd not expect any 15W oil to ever be poured at, and then left to sit out to where we have no idea what the average temp the samples are (surface temp using an IR thermometer means nothing,) this guy's channel exists strictly to shill amsoil products since he's an amsoil dealer, so you should not rely on his content for any factual information.

There's nothing really scientific about that test, it was chilled to a temperature you'd not expect any 15W oil to ever be poured at, and then left to sit out to where we have no idea what the average temp the samples are (surface temp using an IR thermometer means nothing,) this guy's channel exists strictly to shill amsoil products since he's an amsoil dealer, so you should not rely on his content for any factual information.
he posts vids of tons of other things slamming amsoil and there are different testing procedures chevron and shell use so whos to say they can be trusted in the numbers they report. Here we get to see a test procedure for both while each uses a different one. idk i can see one and not the other.

While I agree, they both seemed to be frozen in the same block of ice, so they should have warmed up similarly. I’m surprised the Delo didn’t pour better.

Maybe it was the older base stock? 400LE didn’t perform as well.

D497E10B-4D18-4DF5-A6D7-C43EB0186271.jpeg

Last edited:
Back