Delo 400 LE 5w30 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, here's a link to an article about the new 5w30:
http://www.thetrucker.com/News/Stories/2...mprovement.aspx

I'm currently running the 5w40 variety of Delo 400 LE in my Saab and seems to be doing well, but I have noticed a decrease in mpg over when I was using 10w30. Now that I also have my 2.2l LLV and my mom just snagged a nice 2.0l Stratus off state surplus, I'm rethinking my oil selection. I'd like to use an oil that can be used on all 3 cars, so I was going to call my local distributor about Delo 400 LE 10w30 conventional. Now seeing they now have a 5w30 Synthetic, I will also see if that's available.

Since the 5w30 is SN, I wonder if the add pack will be a lot more conservative than that of the SL/SM 10w30 conventional.

As for the few gallons of 400 LE 5w40 I have remaining, those might be going to my brother's "new to him" 2006 Volvo S60 (which the oil filler grate looked heavily varnished with some signs of sludge...)

Anyone currently running the new Delo 5w30 synthetic or Delo 10w30 conventional? For those running the 10w30 variety, where have you found the stuff aside from a distributor?

According to another article, it sounds like it's coming out in the 4th quarter of 2012, so it might not be out yet but soon.

I dont like chevron oils - but a real synthetic HD 5w30 sounds interesting - low Phos though ...

SAE Grade 5W-30
Product Number 271210
MSDS Number 32497
Density at 15°C 0.86
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt at 100°C 11.74
Viscosity, Cold Crank, °C/Poise -30/58.4
Viscosity Index 165
Flash Point, °C(°F) 226(439)
Pour Point, °C(°F) -51(-60)
Sulfated Ash, wt % 0.99
Base Number, ASTM D2896 10
Phosphorus, wt % 0.075
Sulfur, wt % 0.28
Zinc, wt % 0.079

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GoalieFergy53
Anyone currently running the new Delo 5w30 synthetic or Delo 10w30 conventional? For those running the 10w30 variety, where have you found the stuff aside from a distributor?

GF53,

My current fill in my 2007 Chevy LBZ Dmax is Delo10w30 that I purchased at our local D&B Supply (farm supply store). They are also the only "stocking" retailer that I know of in the Boise area. I used to buy it by the 6 gallon case from the local Chevron distributor.

@ARCO: That doesn't look like much more than a PCMO 5w-30 synthetic with the sulphated ash posted on the PDS along with a higher TBN. Most of the 5w-30 HDEOs I've seen were of the older specifications, and had almost double the ZDDP. Of course, we have no idea what the detergent package or rest of the additive package looks like.

Imperial Oil tells me they got out of the 5w-30 HDEO business because there are too few diesel engines out there that specify a 5w-30 any longer.

Not having run a diesel lately, I havent even looked at the AOI CJ spec. Most likely some zero-ash goodies (sallys and phenols) in there ... One would hope!

I think I hear angels singing!

If the price is right and it become readily available, this might be the oil I'm looking for for my mixed fleet. Can't find a date sheet yet, tho.

Jim - I've heard that SOPUS is also working towards a similar product. And then you'd have a tough decision. Perhaps one of them will have a promotional offer and give away a free gage with purchase?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Could that not be said of any lube? Oil "XYZ" is just a bit of this, with a splash of that, and a skosh of extra stuff for good measure? Your question is so vague it's a bit silly, if you ask me.

All lubes are some form of base stock blend(s) with additives, are they not?

The Delo 5w-30 is CJ-4 certified, and therefore is an HDEO that is also SN approved.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Could that not be said of any lube? Oil "XYZ" is just a bit of this, with a splash of that, and a skosh of extra stuff for good measure? Your question is so vague it's a bit silly, if you ask me.

In defence of 3311, at least in the ZDDP department, this stuff looks a little weak. I wouldn't expect an HDEO to have SN/GF-5 PCMO levels of zinc. That is, however, assuming it's not a typo in the specs. Everything else looks reasonably normal.

I can't find an actual data sheet on this oil (link anyone?). Haven't looked too hard yet but let's verify what Arco typed before we condemn the oil for low ZDDP.

Free gauge with every 5-gallon purchase... I'm in!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Haven't looked too hard yet but let's verify what Arco typed before we condemn the oil for low ZDDP.

Well, he didn't do a typo, but it would not surprise me if the PDS had a typo.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

All lubes are some form of base stock blend(s) with additives, are they not?

The Delo 5w-30 is CJ-4 certified, and therefore is an HDEO that is also SN approved.

Please explain your last statement above. As you wrote it, all CJ-4 oils are now SN approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back