Delo 400 15w40 in gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt,
First of all Welcome to the site.
There is no reason that the Delo 400 15W40 will not work in your truck year around. Because you only drive 6 miles to work, I would take the truck on the road once a week and drive it with a little aggressiveness, remaing within the confines of the legal speed limits. In the winter, let the truck idle for about 1 minute, then drive off and try to keep low RPM. An engine heater will help in the winter, no matter what the oil, if you are so inclined to put one on. I have a block heater in 2 trucks running 15W40 and I don't use them.
There are alot of arguments against your choice of oils, 15W40, but I disagree with most of them. The additive package is very robust, the phos will not hurt you CAT Conv ect. If you are concerned, I would run an additive in the fuel every third tank full, Schaeffer's Neutra 131, Techron, STP Complete, Amsoil PI, Pennzoil has a good one, sorry, I don't remember the name. IMHO

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
...the phos will not hurt you CAT Conv

How have you come to this conclusion? I'm very interested in hearing your answer since high phos has been the main reason why I don't use 15W-40 fleet oils in my car.

geo,
Good question on the Cat. The 1995 Ford PSD Diesel came with a CAT convertor. The engine uses 15W40 oil, and Cat plugging is not a problem from Phos. Also the phos has to get to the Cat, high oil use, blowby ect can cause that, but many of these engines over 250K with no cat problems. Other years use them also, depending on manual or automatic trans and some other variables. My 2001 auto PSD does not have one. Also the CCV is fed to the engine prior turbo, oil mist burned and exhausted.
Alot of hearsay on this. I have yet to find one plugged Cat due to using 15W40, and I have searched many sites. I have found about 300 comments that it may, but none on it did. Again, my own opinion.

geo

I've been using M1 15w50 in my civic for over 190k miles. I pass smog checks with very low emmisions. I can't see how the higher than average P in the oil has damaged my cat converter.

Off hand I don't remember the P levels in M1 or Delo but they are both well over 1000 ppm. Perhaps the volatility difference between the two would make a difference to the cat converter.

Thanks for your reply Vetteman! The reason I'm concerned is because API went from 0.12% to 0.10% max phosphorus for SJ/SL to save gasoline cats.

If anyone else would like to give their opinion, please do.

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
geo

I've been using M1 15w50 in my civic for over 190k miles. I pass smog checks with very low emmisions. I can't see how the higher than average P in the oil has damaged my cat converter.

Off hand I don't remember the P levels in M1 or Delo but they are both well over 1000 ppm. Perhaps the volatility difference between the two would make a difference to the cat converter.

satterfi, I didn't think that Mobil 1 15W-50 had unusually high phosphorus in the form of ZDDP.

15W-40 fleet oils rated as Cx/Sx (diesel cert first) usually have high ZDDP phosphorus. API SL max phosphorus levels do not apply to non0/5/10W-30 oils.

And yes, you're right. Hi noack does make a difference.

Thanks.

Quote:
"If anyone else would like to give their opinion, please do."

I would not worry about Catylitic Converter replacement period. Carsound now makes a Cat that is reputed to flow with or outflow a Random Technologies Cat and can be bought for most car at around 59.00 bucks. That kinda of money is not much prorated every 150k or so if even then.
Thats my opinion on the Cat thing
smile.gif

As for oil? I have seen that thread . What a deal that was. I think you should use a Engineered oil for car and small trucks ect,,not that the Diesel oil is bad in particular,I just imo think a 10/30 SL and good maintence practice would serve you better along with some minor gains in fuel milaege.
Please take time to see the analysis of a Mobil 10/30 in the other section for comparison

And welcome to the forum!
smile.gif

Edited to add:

I forgot,you had said prior that it is not a question if you should use the oil,but if you should use it year round.Scratch my opinion on the oil then
smile.gif
So I have to ask,if you make a decision to not use it year round,what is your planned alternative other than an oil heater?

[ August 01, 2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

geo,
My son-in-law has a 1989, 4.3, full size GMC, ext cab, LB p/u, 213K miles with Delo 400, original Cat. Daughter has 1989 GMC, Std cab, 4x4, 350 cu in. 106K miles with Delo 400, original Cat.
I finally convinced them to change to Schaeffer's 15W40 on the next oil changes as I wind up doing them anyhow.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Quote:
I would not worry about Catylitic Converter replacement period. Carsound now makes a Cat that is reputed to flow with or outflow a Random Technologies Cat and can be bought for most car at around 59.00 bucks.

dragboat, thanks.

I do need to worry about my cats though. My Audi has 2 cats and 2 pre-cats. It would be very expensive for me to change all of them.

I posted a question on the NORIA board about using Delo 15w40 in my Ford F150 with the 4.9 straight six during the 'mild' winters here in Virginia (minimum of +5F)...over there it turned into a drawn out discussion about using HDMO's in gas engines.

I am still pondering using this oil year round and am wondering what you guys think?

Since I often take short trips (6 miles to work) I am pondering getting an Wolverine oil pre-heater anyway...looking for opinions, ideas on this also.

thanks, I like it here!
Matt

Matt,

I'd run the Chevron 5w-30 in cold weather ....It is also a Group II+ (Isosyn) based oil, as is the Delo 400. I don't see an issue with running the 15w-40 in warm weather, but the bearing tolerances in this engine are designed for a 30wt lube. All you are gonna due by running a heavier oil is generate more friction and heat and reduce performance. BTW, I don't think the sulphated ash level is an issue. I often run the Amsoil Series 3000 diesel oil in gas engines - but it is a SAE 5w-30 grade, so performance and fuel efficiency are fine.

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back