Chevron Delo 400 15w40 Heavy Duty Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geeezzz, do I really sound that bad?

By no means am I brand loyal, I just really like the way Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 is doing in my truck, so I'm recommending it for people (where it is appropriate, of course) to try and see how it does in comparison to what they were running before...I don't believe I've got anyone to try it yet though!

Hey, it was this site that got me to run the Long-Life and a SuperTech filter, so BLAME THE SITE, not me!
grin.gif

Jelly;
Does Penz have a synthetic 50 transmission oil that meets Eaton PS-081 750,000 mile waranty requirements in anything smaller than a 5 gallon pail?

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Jelly;
Does Penz have a synthetic 50 transmission oil that meets Eaton PS-081 750,000 mile waranty requirements in anything smaller than a 5 gallon pail?

Hey, I just knew of the 10w-30 because I downloaded the Long-Life 15w-40 spec. sheet, and, of course, it also lists all the other Long-Life oils, such as 10w-30, 10w, 30, 40, and 50.

But since you ask
grin.gif
, Quaker-State does make a "FCI® Synthetic Gear & Transmission Lubricant CD50" that does meet PS-081. Looks like the smallest container is a 35-pounds though.

Here's a tidbit of info. though...Chevron Delo® Trans Fluid ESI and is the only nonsynthetic fluid approved for Eaton’s 750,000-mile extended warranty program.

[/qb][/QUOTE]Hey, I just knew of the 10w-30 because I downloaded the Long-Life 15w-40 spec. sheet, and, of course, it also lists all the other Long-Life oils, such as 10w-30, 10w, 30, 40, and 50.

Thats good to know, I may have to chase down some SAE 40 Pennz LL

Continue to use the Delo 15W-40. Houston is warmer than Los Angeles in the winter and I run Delo all year here, including trips to ski resorts with temps in the 20's. I did a freezer test and Delo 15W-40 still flows well at 0F.

You won't find 10W-30 Delo in warm climate areas, even at a distributor. There is just no demand. Here, 15W-40, straight 30 and 40 are available.

I still like the HDMO's not only for the higher D/D additive levels, but EP/AW, anti-oxidant and higher TBN. As for gas mileage, would someone please show documentation that there is a 3-5 percent difference in a Ford truck using 10W30. I could maybe belive such a delta between 20W-50 and 5W-20, maybe.

For what it is worth!!

I found this at another forum!

This is from the mouth of Steve Archer from Chevron! The base oil for Delo 400 is now a UCBO ( Unconventional Base oil)! It is a Hydrocracked and Hydroismerized and Hydrofinished) This makes it a group II Base oil! A great bargain for the price!!

I`ll let someone else explain what all this means!!

Hasbeen

From a standard 10w40, the EPA guidance is that the following fuel economy gains from using lighter oils is as follows:

10w30: 2.0%
5w30: 3.4%
5w20: 4.2%

So, in my Ford F150 which gets 16 mpg using 5w20, I would expect something like:

5w20: 16 mpg
5w30: 15.9 mpg
10w30: 15.7 mpg
10w40: 15.4 mpg

The difference between a 10w30 and 5w20 is around 2%.

In my Jeep, I have noticed a drop of around 2% fuel economy after switching from 10w30 to 5w40.

Gopher,
I would imagine your Jeep would do just fine on 5W20 especially this time of year.
I'm quite sure that the old V8s and I-6s don't run oil temperatures as high as the little sidways mounted V-6s and hard working 4s.
I've had better luck using XXW40s on engines such as the ford 3.0, 3.8 and Mopar's 3.3L.
I believe that an oil's viscosity should be matched to the cold starting and maximum engine oil operating temperature and very little, if anything else.

Not quite cold enough yet to throw 5w20 at the old Inline 6! Manufacturer (AMC at the time) calls for 5w20 only if outdoor temps stay below 32 F. We're still occasionally seeing 50's these days, though you wouldn't know it today!.

5w40 isn't mentioned anywhere in the manfacturers book, though 5w30 is (under 60F) and 10w40 is (over 0F). With a longer interval, I'm hoping to thread the needle in between with better wear. We'll see in about 4-5 months!

She ran and startrd fine on a decent dino 5w30 last winter, we'll see on the 5w40. If I don't like it, it comes out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back