Dell Latitude XT3 vs. Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow-up to this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2282232

Just thought I would post the info I gathered, as well as my decision, FWIW and in case anyone had any comments.

I was looking for a tablet PC for school use (taking notes etc.). This means taking notes with a stylus and using it like a regular laptop at all other times.

I have an account with Dell so I was eying their upcoming XT3 (the current model, the XT2, simply isn't competitive). I also heard about the Lenovo X220 Tablet, which is supposed to blow away almost everything else and seems to have exactly the feature set I want, at a good price. What clinched it for me was this review:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/dell-latitude-xt3_Laptop_review

It seems everything is pretty much equal between the XT3 and the X220 Tablet, except the following (according to the review):

- The XT3 is slightly bigger (13" vs. 12.5" for the X220 Tablet).

- The XT3's display uses a TN film panel and has a matte finish (should be more easily viewable in daylight), whereas the X220 Tablet uses an IPS panel with Gorilla Glass.

- The XT3's stylus needs a battery; the X220 Tablet's does not.

- The X220 Tablet uses a WACOM digitizer, which recognizes pressure with much higher resolution than the N-trig digitizer in the XT3 (512 levels vs. 99, respectively).

- The X220 Tablet is built to military specs. I'm not sure if this means it's actually more durable than the XT3, but it's nice to see something somewhat substantive behind the durability claims.

- The XT3 can recognize up to 4-finger gestures; the X220 Tablet can recognize up to 2-finger gestures.

- The XT3 has a multi-touch track pad.

- The XT3 has a few more ports (e.g. HDMI) and can connect to any Latitude-compatible docking station.

- The XT3's display can rotate in either direction; the X220 Tablet's display can only rotate in one direction.

For me, with the caveat that I have used neither yet, the Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet looks like a slam-dunk. It should have vastly better image quality and viewing angles, and has a better stylus; any disadvantage it has compared to the Dell Latitude XT3 looks pretty much meaningless for my use. I'm planning on placing the order with Lenovo tomorrow.

Again, comments welcome.

Sorry to bump an old and apparently dead thread, but I wanted to add a couple of things to the above list:

- The X220i also has a multitouch trackpad, which can recognize up to 3-finger gestures and clicks.

- I can see the extra size of the XT3 being a significant advantage for some users. Using the touchscreen would be more comfortable with a bit more space.

I recently received my X220i and am very, very happy with it. I might post a review if anyone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back