Decided to Try Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax

As I mentioned in another thread here, I recently decided to jump on the bandwagon and try a newer technology wax that advertises “ceramic” content.

Im curious about the chemistry of the ceramic component, but that’s for another thread.

For about the last 15 years, I’ve used, exclusively, Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax (occasionally in conjunction with #7 Show Car Glaze), and Meguiar’s NextGen sealant. And, a couple of times, the old Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax.

I’ve always enjoyed washing and waxing my vehicles, keeping the insides clean, and even gone as far as claying my truck a couple of times in the past, and following it with the old Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (a mild abrasive product, I believe). The finish looks pretty good, for an almost 14-year-old truck that I’ve daily-driven in Nashville and Memphis that entire time. Of course, it has several dings from parking lots where folks have been nice enough to open their doors into it, and hit the bumpers.

I‘ve never gotten into detailing to the extent that some of you have, though my neighbors find it curious that I wash our vehicles as much as I do (usually wash both trucks about once a week).

Since I found a gallon of #26 on sale about a year or so ago, my routine has been applying it a few times per year, and, in between, using the Turtle Wax “Wax As You Dry” spray as I dry the vehicles after every wash.

However, I got a lot more interested in detailing recently after my wife’s Civic was totaled and we got a new 2021 4Runner. We’re planning to keep it forever, and, of course, I’d like to keep the finish looking as good as possible, so, we’re trying to park it away from other cars in parking lots, etc.

Recently I got a bit frustrated with the Meguiar’s #26 when it seemed to be almost gone from the finish after driving in a heavy rainstorm from Memphis to Nashville for a couple of hours, and the subsequent wash.

So, I decided to try the Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. I have seen a couple of posts within other threads here specifically about the Liquid version of this, but most of the talk I’ve seen has been about the spray version, so I thought I’d start a thread about the liquid version.

I bought this at Walmart for about $16, which I thought wasn’t bad.

The instructions seemed simple, and, not needing to wait for the product to haze over (they claim you only need a max of about 5 min before wiping) makes it very easy to use.

I washed the 4Runner with Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax, and admittedly I did not do anything to remove any of what was left of the residual #26 or the TW WAYD. So, this may have affected whatever chemical bonding of the SiO2 that is supposed to happen, and, as a result, may negatively affect longevity.

What I had read advised applying it sparingly, which I started out doing with the round microfiber applicator pad, wiping the liquid on with a crosshatch pattern (first wiping one way, then going perpendicular). However, I found that I was able to get a much better coverage after the pad was fairly saturated, and applying a bit more product.

At first, I tried applying and then removing the product one panel at a time (roof and then hood). Then, for the rest of the truck, I decided just to finish applying to the whole truck, and then go back and remove, a panel at a time.

It did not make a difference; the Hybrid Liquid was very, very easy to remove whether I waited 5 minutes or 30 minutes.

I thought the Meguiar’s Hybrid Liquid Wax produced a very good shine and slickness behind. Hard to say if it’s better than the #26 I’ve been used to using. Most experts say that carnauba-based products produce a very warm and deep shine and perhaps leave a deeper layer of product behind, than synthetics, and, therefore, have more visual “depth” than synthetics.

I think I’d have to do 2 vehicles side by side to tell the difference, personally.

As easy as this is to apply (I did what I consider to be a pretty thorough job in less than 1 hour), I think I’ll use it more than I did the #26 (which is, itself, a very nice product to use - easy to apply and remove; just needs a bit more rubbing to remove than this HCLW).

It‘s rained a couple of times since I applied the HCLW earlier this week. I have not washed the 4Runner again since application.

Today, it was doing that light rain/almost misting, and, being daylight overcast, after getting home from the store, I got a good photo example of how it’s beading water on the hood.

It’ll be interesting to see how it lasts.

Since I’ve heard that the HCW spray version can be used while the surface is still wet, I may buy a bottle and use a couple of sprays per panel as I dry after every wash, as a booster, and apply the HCLW maybe every other month or something.

I have wondered why Meguiar’s offered both versions. I can only assume that the HCLW is billed as a longer-lasting product than the HCW spray. Else, why would it exist alongside the spray?

FFD2CF25-DA7B-4DC3-96DE-0EAC2915BF56.jpeg

52A65B40-A414-4B23-A08B-C16AA8CA99CF.jpeg
2C9D327C-3829-474C-865A-16CEAB4C9606.jpeg

If you plan on applying every other month, why bother with newer technology? The whole point of the new stuff is longevity between coatings.

I'd stop wasting money on these when a $10 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal n Shine is PROVEN to last & last. Plus your 1 hour coating job turns into less than 15 minutes.

If you plan on applying every other month, why bother with newer technology? The whole point of the new stuff is longevity between coatings.

I'd stop wasting money on these when a $10 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal n Shine is PROVEN to last & last. Plus your 1 hour coating job turns into less than 15 minutes.
As I said in my post, the #26 I was using wasnt even lasting that long.

We’ll see how this HCW liquid lasts.

Hmm, those beads do not look like they are from a liquid ceramic wax. The beads are not very tight. Are you sure the product adhered since you still had #26 on the surface?

This is how mine looks after a rainstorm. M27 was applied to a bare, polished surface. I am not sure if I had topped this with M799; I might have.

9C3BFD78-A485-487D-AA21-528FFE81AAB1.jpeg

I just tried the same wax this weekend too. I decided to try it on a friends black BMW that has never been waxed and only gets automated car washes. I washed the cars with dawn, then a vinegar rinse, a normal wash and a full claybar cleaning. The Meguires Ceramic wax was easy to apply and a huge plus is that you can get it on the trim and plastic and it looks great. Given that I only have 1 arm, DA polisher is not an option, so the ease of use and hnd application is more important to me. Now to see how long it lasts.

Hmm, those beads do not look like they are from a liquid ceramic wax. The beads are not very tight. Are you sure the product adhered since you still had #26 on the surface?

This is how mine looks after a rainstorm. M27 was applied to a bare, polished surface. I am not sure if I had topped this with M799; I might have.

View attachment 55375
I’m not sure.

Since it has rained, I washed the 4Runner again today. I ran out of time to hit it with HCWL again before work, but I took 2 cell phone videos when I sprayed the hood - one before washing, and one after. As soon as I upload them, I’ll post here. Maybe that’ll give a better idea.

Took a video yesterday as I started spraying the 4Runner down to wash.

I had used the HCLW the week prior, and it had rained a couple of times, but this was the first wash.

No prep was done before applying the HCLW, other than a wash with Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax, and I had used M26 twice, and Turtle Wax Wax As You Dry Spray a few times since we bought the truck in early Jan.

Took a video yesterday as I started spraying the 4Runner down to wash.

I had used the HCLW the week prior, and it had rained a couple of times, but this was the first wash.

No prep was done before applying the HCLW, other than a wash with Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax, and I had used M26 twice, and Turtle Wax Wax As You Dry Spray a few times since we bought the truck in early Jan.

For comparison, this was a test area. Paint polished before applying M799 only:

As I mentioned in another thread here, I recently decided to jump on the bandwagon and try a newer technology wax that advertises “ceramic” content.

Im curious about the chemistry of the ceramic component, but that’s for another thread.

For about the last 15 years, I’ve used, exclusively, Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax (occasionally in conjunction with #7 Show Car Glaze,
Oh my, so did I for like 30yrs. Recently I try to do the two cars once in the spring and once in the fall with a all in one typ wax.

Nufinish as a sealer, and then ceramic on top is a great combination, nufinish it self is a very good sealant and lasts for a long time, and beads really nicely but not as nice as an ceramic coating, so I would put nufinish on and then a ceramic.

Ceramic is supposed to be applied over fresh bare surface. Why would you put it over Nufinish which will prevent the ceramic from from bonding to the paint properly?
It will bond, at least I think it did on mine.

I have never used anything on a clearcoat that lasts more then a month or two at BEST.
That includes NuFinish.

You are not waxing paint like in the old days with lacquer on my 65 Buick.

Any Recommendations? Last 1/2 decent stuff I used was Raindance a million years ago.

I've used Teflon and or Silicone enhanced polishes and it was blotchy on dark colours despite my best effort..

I recently gave it another try on the 08 Liberty. I washed and clayed it. On the horizontal surfaces, roof and hood, two weeks after I applied it the rain water stopped beading. I re-did the hood and roof with Powerlock and a month later it is still going strong. I won't be buying any more of the Meguiar's product.
27.gif

I'm tempted to email them and let them know my feelings about the product.

For about the last 15 years, I’ve used, exclusively, Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax (occasionally in conjunction with #7 Show Car Glaze), and Meguiar’s NextGen sealant. And, a couple of times, the old Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax.

I’ve always enjoyed washing and waxing my vehicles, keeping the insides clean, and even gone as far as claying my truck a couple of times in the past, and following it with the old Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (a mild abrasive product, I believe). The finish looks pretty good, for an almost 14-year-old truck that I’ve daily-driven in Nashville and Memphis that entire time. Of course, it has several dings from parking lots where folks have been nice enough to open their doors into it, and hit the bumpers.

I‘ve never gotten into detailing to the extent that some of you have, though my neighbors find it curious that I wash our vehicles as much as I do (usually wash both trucks about once a week).

Since I found a gallon of #26 on sale about a year or so ago, my routine has been applying it a few times per year, and, in between, using the Turtle Wax “Wax As You Dry” spray as I dry the vehicles after every wash.

However, I got a lot more interested in detailing recently after my wife’s Civic was totaled and we got a new 2021 4Runner. We’re planning to keep it forever, and, of course, I’d like to keep the finish looking as good as possible, so, we’re trying to park it away from other cars in parking lots, etc.

Recently I got a bit frustrated with the Meguiar’s #26 when it seemed to be almost gone from the finish after driving in a heavy rainstorm from Memphis to Nashville for a couple of hours, and the subsequent wash.

So, I decided to try the Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. I have seen a couple of posts within other threads here specifically about the Liquid version of this, but most of the talk I’ve seen has been about the spray version, so I thought I’d start a thread about the liquid version.

I bought this at Walmart for about $16, which I thought wasn’t bad.

The instructions seemed simple, and, not needing to wait for the product to haze over (they claim you only need a max of about 5 min before wiping) makes it very easy to use.

I washed the 4Runner with Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax, and admittedly I did not do anything to remove any of what was left of the residual #26 or the TW WAYD. So, this may have affected whatever chemical bonding of the SiO2 that is supposed to happen, and, as a result, may negatively affect longevity.

What I had read advised applying it sparingly, which I started out doing with the round microfiber applicator pad, wiping the liquid on with a crosshatch pattern (first wiping one way, then going perpendicular). However, I found that I was able to get a much better coverage after the pad was fairly saturated, and applying a bit more product.

At first, I tried applying and then removing the product one panel at a time (roof and then hood). Then, for the rest of the truck, I decided just to finish applying to the whole truck, and then go back and remove, a panel at a time.

It did not make a difference; the Hybrid Liquid was very, very easy to remove whether I waited 5 minutes or 30 minutes.

I thought the Meguiar’s Hybrid Liquid Wax produced a very good shine and slickness behind. Hard to say if it’s better than the #26 I’ve been used to using. Most experts say that carnauba-based products produce a very warm and deep shine and perhaps leave a deeper layer of product behind, than synthetics, and, therefore, have more visual “depth” than synthetics.

I think I’d have to do 2 vehicles side by side to tell the difference, personally.

As easy as this is to apply (I did what I consider to be a pretty thorough job in less than 1 hour), I think I’ll use it more than I did the #26 (which is, itself, a very nice product to use - easy to apply and remove; just needs a bit more rubbing to remove than this HCLW).

It‘s rained a couple of times since I applied the HCLW earlier this week. I have not washed the 4Runner again since application.

Today, it was doing that light rain/almost misting, and, being daylight overcast, after getting home from the store, I got a good photo example of how it’s beading water on the hood.

It’ll be interesting to see how it lasts.

Since I’ve heard that the HCW spray version can be used while the surface is still wet, I may buy a bottle and use a couple of sprays per panel as I dry after every wash, as a booster, and apply the HCLW maybe every other month or something.

I have wondered why Meguiar’s offered both versions. I can only assume that the HCLW is billed as a longer-lasting product than the HCW spray. Else, why would it exist alongside the spray?

View attachment 55202
View attachment 55203View attachment 55204
Park as far away as you think but a new vehicle is a magnet for door dingers. I can park at the very end of a large lot with hardly anyone there, but they still find me!

Park as far away as you think but a new vehicle is a magnet for door dingers. I can park at the very end of a large lot with hardly anyone there, but they still find me!
I feel your pain. There have been times when my wife will sarcastically say, "if I knew we were going to park this far away we should have left the car home and walked."

Back