Decided on PP for 2004 Envoy XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched from Mobil 5000 5w-30 to Penzoil Platinum 5w-30. I had been doing oci's every 3000 miles like clockwork since this vehicle was new. It has 33,000 miles now. I want to obtain 7500 mile oci's. I will get a UOA at around 4000 miles and see how it's going. You think this is a good plan? I used a Pure One filter. It may be my imagination, but the engine seems noticably smoother now.
smile.gif

It feels smoother because the Envoy no longer has high blood pressure from all that sodium....lol
lol.gif

If that Envoy calls for the PF-61 AC oil filter, I would of stuck to it. It's the only one I know without an ADBV.

Keep in mind though, that the Pure One filter is supposed to be more restrictive than the Premium Plus. That should give you something to worry about tonight, when you're trying to fall asleep.
tongue.gif

Why? The filter will always "flow", though relying more on the bypass valve under severe RPM load or cold start conditions. Under light and moderate loads, the PureONE will deliver the benefit of finer filtration. Whether that benefit will actually translate to longer engine life is speculative - there are trade-offs with either approach with the theoretical advantage of the silicone ADBV perhaps tipping the scales towards using the PureONE.

Good choice on the Pennzoil Platinum!!!

Ditto that on the filter! While you could have stuck with the Delco, I believe the PureOne is a great filter also, no matter what people say about it's "flow" capabilities.

It's good to hear your engine is running smoother. I had the same thought when I put PP & a PureOne filter on my 2.3L I4 Mazda3.

I'll be running my 4.5qts. of PP out to 7500K (per longest drain interval for warranty). With a 7qt. sump, you could probably go 10K w/o any problems. I'd get your UOA at 5K, then proceed from there.

[ May 01, 2006, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: mshu7 ]

It's alright GR, it's Monday! We'll let you slide this time......HAHAH!

I just checked Purolator's webiste and it is indeed:

PureONE

quote:

Why? The filter will always "flow", though relying more on the bypass valve under severe RPM load or cold start conditions.

No sense in going with a ADBV filter if none is necessary. Why put something on that can go faulty -- instead use the correct filter that's missing an ADBV.

Had I been able to find a better brand other than the AC Delco with no ADBV, I would of purchased it. There are none to my knowledge.... thus.... my reccommendation to stay with AC Delco.

There are a thousand complaints on this board about cold engine noises caused by ADBVs. If you get lucky enough to purchase a vehicle that comes without one -- then why in the world would you purchase a ADBV filter for it?

Don't tell me cuz' something else filters better. Filters are over-rated! There are posters here with 300+K using nothing but basic Frams.

I think this whole "restrictive flow" ordeal came from a oil filter study that everyone is refering to. The flows were measure with oil being at room temperature. We all know what happens to oil when it heats us, i.e. in your engine, oil will flow just fine. Also, with a 7 quart oil sump, your going to have plenty of backup.

Why would you worry about an ADBV when the oil filter on an Envoy is upright? 4WD side mount maybe? I have a 05 Envoy 2WD and use the PureOne filter.

Um...why would you use Mobil 5000 and keep changing at 3K? You should go by the OLM, or at least go the full 5K on the Mobil 5000..unless of course you fall under the severe driving catagory. Still, you should be able to easily do 7500 on synthetic. Give the OLM a try and see when it tells you to change it. Mine pretty consistantly comes on around 7K, which I do run synthetic that long, but I'm not that comfortable running dino longer than 5K....

The OLM came on the first time at 11,000 miles and then again at 20,500. I really don't feel comfortable going over 10,000 miles on dino, but synthetic may be different. Should I change the filter at all before the olm comes on?

quote:

Originally posted by tarboroheel1:
.. I really don't feel comfortable going over 10,000 miles on dino, but synthetic may be different. ..

I own a 2005 trailblazer 4.2L. It's hard to say how far you can stretch the OCI. The 4.2L I6 has only been on the road since 2002 so there's not a lot of data out there. I have heard that the cam phaser/actuator that changes the timing of the exhaust cam can be sensitve to oil-borne debris.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back