Decided Against a UOA

I did an OCI last week with more ST FS 0w20 but this time with a Fram PH4967 filter.
ST FS and Fram PH filters seem like a good combination for my car.
I was going to send in a sample for a UOA but changed my mind.
I seem to have a healthy car here.
I can always do a UOA later but for now this car seems to be in perfect running condition.
It just seemed like kind of a waste of money for a UOA at this time.
The older I get, the more of a penny pincher I'm getting to be.

That was smart because you aren't likely to get any kind of ROI on doing so. The overwhelming majority do not.

Put the money into the maintenance schedule as printed that and you'll be fine, a leak down is a far better test of engine condition than UOA anyway.

For fun - sure!

What labs say that ? I've never seen that. There are people here who think they are mandatory though. Or people who cut oil filters apart after they've used them in their engines... Imagine the heartache and stress if they find a faulty filter. :rolleyes:
I'd rather not mention which one but I spoke to them on the phone but decided not to use their service at this time.
If I suspected an oil problem or an engine problem I would, but for now I seem to have a very healthy engine.

UOAs helped when I had my Nissan and was getting coolant in the oil. I thought I could smell coolant in the exhaust and the UOA proved I had coolant in the oil.

When I was younger I ordered a test kit from blackstone and thought about sending 8n a sample...and then I changed my mind. Why bother? I only run 5,000-6,000 mile intervals. If my engine/car/oil can’t handle that, then I’m screwed anyway and should save the $25 bucks from the analysis.

Out of all the UOA‘s I’ve read around here...I can only remember one or two that were “bad”. And the advice was to shorten the interval a little...or...you might want to check for a leaking water pump or leaking air box that’s letting in a little silicates. Then they follow up with another and everything looks better than last time. I get why people get them, I think it’s cool, it’s just not for me. Maybe someday I’ll change my mind and get one.

tell us about your bad experiences with super tech i would really like to hear them.
He doesn't want to.
It seems like they will not tolerate propaganda oil myths here which is probably a good thing.
Now he's leaving unhappy reactions to anything I say because I decided not to get a UOA to prove to him my results of using ST FS oil.
He might catch on after many years if he stays here and I continue to run ST FS oil in my Prius C.

He doesn't want to.
It seems like they will not tolerate propaganda oil myths here which is probably a good thing.
Now he's leaving unhappy reactions to anything I say because I decided not to get a UOA to prove to him my results of using ST FS oil.
He might catch on after many years if he stays here and I continue to run ST FS oil in my Prius C.
They weren’t myths me and the other techs truly believe it was the oil. We couldn’t find anything else it could have been. But I don’t want to go into detail again as I want to stay part of this forum. If it’s the oil you choose that’s fine but it’s not for me. My friend thinks any brand of oil that comes from Walmart is bad so at least I’m not like him.

I tried a bag in a box of Havoline oil a couple years ago, I like the idea of an alternative to the hard plastic jugs, but I didn't like how noisy my engine was with it. Many people here claim to like Havoline oil but I was unwilling to deal with my engine making rat-tat-tat noises like it was going to wear out in 2 weeks. That was in my 2016 Ford Fiesta, so I switched to QS AD and the engine quieted right down the way it should be, though it seemed to take a few days before it really stopped making more noise than it should.

If ST made my engine noisy like that, I definitely would not run it again.
All engines make some amount of noise when they're running, if the hood is open and you're standing in front of it, but when the hood is down, you shouldn't hear a loud rat-tat-tat at all IMHO.

Now that is something we totally agree on right there as for the noise. I can’t stand those boxes they are hard for me to handle and pour. Havoline does fine in my van but it’s loud anyway as it has dual exhausts and a big ole V8 LOL. Some oil will be noisy like Mobil 1 is noisy in my moms 2017 Camry but we still use it since Toyota recommends Mobil 1 for oil.

Some oil will be noisy like Mobil 1
2B323672-DB59-4E2B-9DEE-082533AA54C2.jpeg

Back