Decent quality motorcycle stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want front and back bike stands. I've looked at what HF sells, and I'm just not confident regarding their quality... I've read some reviews where the stands collapsed. I really don't want to risk my bike falling while it's up on stands for the winter (or while working on it).

What do you guys think of these GPI Industries ones? They come with lifetime warranty.

Thanks guys. That Pepsx one looks good, but it seem very high... I'm not sure if my Craftsman 2.25-ton jack would be able to lift the bike that high up...

As for GPI stands... they informed me that they would most likely not work with a cruiser bike. They're designed for sport bikes.

Just curious, why stands and not a $100 lift. I've had a cheap chinese made (Loren) 1500 lb lift for 10 years and use it all the time for fluid changes, basic maintenance as well as the thorough spring cleanings on my bikes (gets the bike up high and both wheels off the ground for spinning and cleaning). I've also used it to store a bike over the winter as it locks so you aren't sitting on the pump. Also once it is on the lift you can roll the bike and lift anywhere you want in the garage should you need to move it. These are available at Harbor frieght and many other places.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Just curious, why stands and not a $100 lift.

The underbody of my bike is a bit weird - does not fit a lift very well, but I'll look into it.
Quote:

I've also used it to store a bike over the winter as it locks so you aren't sitting on the pump.

Good to know. I thought it would be a bad idea to keep it up through the winter, but I did not know it has a lock.

Which specific model do you have?

On some bikes you may need to put "bumpers" on the lower frame of the bike to keep items that hang lower than the frame from getting damaged by the lift arms. On the other hand some bikes have a skid plate right at the center of gravity and you can just lift directly. Harley actually used to make some frame pads for softails due to their suspension location. Basically a hard rubber pad that slips on the the frame tubes and give you another inch of clearance. It would be easy to make your own pads.

As far as storing long term you may not want the wheels to hang on suspension for a long period. You can lower the bike so the tires touch enough to compress the suspension a bit but not put the full load of the bike on the tires (keeps tires happy and round). Then if you want to move the bike or do some work on it all it takes is a pump of the foot pedal to get the tires off the ground. the locking mechanism is just a pair of arms that pivot into "catchs" on the base. You can lock it in at maybe 5-6 different heights.

There are many lifts out there but the $100 ones all look the same to me and are possibly from the same manufacturer in different colors and decals. Mine is 10 years old and only lowers to about 5.5 inches. I think some of the new ones go all the way down to 4 inches which is a big advantage. On bikes that ride low to the ground I have to drive the bike tires up onto a couple of pieces of 2x10 to get the lift under them.

http://www.larincorp.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=93

If you have something that hangs below the frame tubes (tranny, oil tank, etc) you will need to buy or make something like these frame protectors. Cut them to length as needed and slip them onto the lower frame tubes where you will be placing the lift. Gives you about 1 inch of clearance (also takes that amount away from the clearance to roll the lift under the bike though). These fit 1.25 inch frame tubes.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/Frame-Protectors.htm

On my bike, up front, it is the engine that sticks out significantly below the frame. I know some people just put one of the lift pads directly under the engine and lift it there... I am kind of weary of doing that... not sure if these frame protectors would even help here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks guys. That Pepsx one looks good, but it seem very high... I'm not sure if my Craftsman 2.25-ton jack would be able to lift the bike that high up...

It will lift it high enough....have put my VTX on that stand using a Craftsman Jack

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back