Decent deal on GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you might enjoy this:

Cruised into Autozone for incidentals and noticed the GC 0W-30 was missing from the shelves. Ow-40 had taken it's place, the store counterman explained. I expressed my disappointment and he replied that the last of it was on sale on the front counter.

Low and behold, there it was @ $1/quart! I took all 12 for $12.00 (If somebody can suggest a url to post a pic of the receipt, I will)

Asked why, he explained the oil was too thin for our desert climate. This is a common misperception around here, even my indi Euro mechanic thinks this way. It is sad the lack of education among folks you'd think would understand. Oh well, their lack of knowledge benefited my wallet this time around.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: S62MPOWER
Asked why, he explained the oil was too thin for our desert climate.

Let me guess, though - he has no problems with ILSAC rated 10w-30.

ROFL

Do you have a pic of the bottle and barcode? Also maybe the item number on the receipt so I can call a few stores ? Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
ROFL

I went through similar foolishness with a parts guy thinking 0w-40 was too thin for my Audi, while 10w-30 would have been fine. I speak from unfortunate experience.
wink.gif

All it takes is a little education for the public. That sales guy having a lack of understanding, is one of the problems with society.
I take it, you will never see Belgium Castrol 0w30 in that one store ever again. I would think Castrol Corporate Sales Rep, should be concerned about this one store.
>

And here I was for months, pondering, running this in my domestic vehicle that's was built back when ilsac gf-4 was introduced. Wondering if I'm going to notice any difference from the engine, compared to the hths 3.1 viscosity 0w30 gf-5 SN I have in there right now.

Not sure how committed Castrol USA is to 0W-30.

The aftermarket has moved on to 0W-40 and many auto manufacturers are on a LL-01 Euro 5W-30 standard now.

Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
I would think Castrol Corporate Sales Rep, should be concerned about this one store.

That wouldn't fly up here. Wakefield makes darn sure that GC 0w-30 is available at every place I've ever seen that sells even more than a couple different varieties of Castrol.

Checked my local AZ. A few top tiered synthetics are at $6 per quart, but 0w30 was around $9.

If it ever does go on clearance, I should be able to buy it all pretty easily. Folks are scared of the 0w oils.

Yes, its the real GC. It was just this local store making a decision to drop the 0W-30. I just happen to be there on the right day. I'm quite sure this was a one off.

Picked up a 4 quart jug of T6 Rotella at KMART a month ago. Similar thing, close out, last jug, $9.

A little weird perhaps, but I have a habit of checking the Automotive section when I shop and rarely, little gems pop up.

I try to explain to them W stands for WINTER, not weight. We don't have Winter here folks, unless you drive in the mountains, we can ignore the W# here. Try to explain to them that in general, not always, but in general, 0W oils start with higher quality base stocks. No comprehension.

The low temperatures have been TEN DEGREES higher than historical norms here this Summer and the highs consistently over 100. I'm ready for FALL AT THIS POINT! I have to accelerate all lubrication related schedules to severe service. Things just disintegrate here from the heat. Battery's and rubber related things in particular.

BMW V8's have been having lubrication related failures since the M62 introduced in 1996 (timing chains, valve stem seals) and yet the machinics recommends the wrong oil with regularity. (My guy uses Mobil 1 5W-30 for his clients)

I am truly amazed at the number of indi shops and consumers that blindly buy 5W-30 because that's whats recommended.

Its up to us to educate our friends and the businesses we frequent I guess.

Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
All it takes is a little education for the public. That sales guy having a lack of understanding, is one of the problems with society.
I take it, you will never see Belgium Castrol 0w30 in that one store ever again. I would think Castrol Corporate Sales Rep, should be concerned about this one store.
>

And here I was for months, pondering, running this in my domestic vehicle that's was built back when ilsac gf-4 was introduced. Wondering if I'm going to notice any difference from the engine, compared to the hths 3.1 viscosity 0w30 gf-5 SN I have in there right now.

We have voa that show the Belgian castrol and the German made stuff in the 0w-40 flavours are identical
And the euro 0w-30 is also identical other than being thinner.
So where it's bottled is of little to know consequence. It's the exact same stuff on the world stage

Cruised into Autozone for incidentals and noticed the GC 0W-30 was missing from the shelves. Ow-40 had taken it's place, the store counterman explained. I expressed my disappointment and he replied that the last of it was on sale on the front counter.

Low and behold, there it was @ $1/quart! I took all 12 for $12.00 (If somebody can suggest a url to post a pic of the receipt, I will)

Asked why, he explained the oil was too thin for our desert climate. This is a common misperception around here, even my indi Euro mechanic thinks this way. It is sad the lack of education among folks you'd think would understand. Oh well, their lack of knowledge benefited my wallet this time around.

The actual reason is that not too many people in US trust or care much about Castrol Syntec. It's becoming a clearance product. GC also sells for much less than M1 ($22.97 as opposed to $26.44) at Walmart. It's ironic that it has more PAO and therefore it's more expensive to make. I would go with GC instead of M1 because of the PAO except that I don't trust its additive package at all and it's ruining the oil (and possibly your engine). All that magnesium that will be unable to keep TAN down and can corrode lead bearings? No, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

The actual reason is that not too many people in US trust or care much about Castrol Syntec. It's becoming a clearance product. GC also sells much less than M1 at Walmart. It's ironic that it has more PAO and therefore it's more expensive to make. I would go with GC instead of M1 because of the PAO except that I don't trust its additive package at all and it's ruining the oil (and possibly your engine). All that magnesium that will be unable to keep TAN down and can corrode lead bearings? No, thanks.

Cannot believe this
33.gif

All that magnesium that will be unable to keep TAN down and can corrode lead bearings? No, thanks.

Yet, it is still able to pass all the stringent long life euro mfg tests?

Are there any long term studies showing that magnesium in this product corrodes bearings?

What makes you think black Edge is a clearance product?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are there any long term studies showing that magnesium in this product corrodes bearings?

It's not the magnesium that corrodes the lead and some other metals. It's magnesium's inability to keep TAN down if calcium is depleted. Therefore, you may have a strong TBN but TAN may have gone off the roof if calcium is depleted. If GC has plenty of calcium and has a proven record, it's OK.

It depends on how long the OCI is, how much calcium is present, particular engine, and driving conditions. I am not a fan of non-0W-40 M1 grades either because they rely heavily on magnesium. Shell still believes that magnesium is not good, and Pennzoil, Rotella etc. use all-calcium detergents. I give Shell thumbs-up in this area.

Moreover, the base oil of GC doesn't seem particularly higher-quality than M1's because CCS is similar, unless GC NOACK is well below M1's 9%.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's not the magnesium that corrodes the lead and some other metals. It's magnesium's inability to keep TAN down if calcium is depleted. Therefore, you may have a strong TBN but TAN may have gone off the roof if calcium is depleted. If GC has plenty of calcium and has a proven record, it's OK.

It depends on how long the OCI is, how much calcium is present, particular engine, and driving conditions. I am not a fan of non-0W-40 M1 grades either because they rely heavily on magnesium. Shell still believes that magnesium is not good, and Pennzoil, Rotella etc. use all-calcium detergents. I give Shell thumbs-up in this area.

Moreover, the base oil of GC doesn't seem particularly higher-quality than M1's because CCS is similar, unless GC NOACK is well below M1's 9%.

Have you ever seen 0W30 or 0W40 Castrol UOA?
Most importantly, have you ever USED that oil and did UOA?
Even more important, based on what you are throwing garbage around here that Castrol is going to ruin engines? Have you seen any ruined?
You used once M1 0W40 in your Corolla, that can go on olive oil, and you are throwing around here to people how Castrol is going to ruin engines, or how Castrol is "sales" product (just for your info, Castrol and M1 as well as other products have same amount of rollbacks in Wal Mart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back