Dealerships are terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Same thing holds true with people that modify cars. They think they can tack on the price of mods to the sale price of the car when in actually you get to add maybe 10% of the mods value and that is only if you are selling it to someone interested in buying that car.

IMO, modifications decrease the value of the car.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Same thing holds true with people that modify cars. They think they can tack on the price of mods to the sale price of the car when in actually you get to add maybe 10% of the mods value and that is only if you are selling it to someone interested in buying that car.

They can add value in some circumstances. Like if you are selling the car to someone that wanted those mods specifically it would be worth it to them to pay a little more. That is assuming they were installed correctly.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: grampi

Your favorite car is a Corolla, if I remember right. Does it cost as much as a house?

I suppose you could cherry-pick some dump in East Cleveland that's less, but those are hardly typical.

My favorite car is a Corolla? That's news to me...

Whatever; its not important, I just ran across a post of yours that said you liked them.

But do they cost as much as a house?

No, but many of the higher end SUV's, pickups, and sports cars certainly do...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

They can add value in some circumstances. Like if you are selling the car to someone that wanted those mods specifically it would be worth it to them to pay a little more. That is assuming they were installed correctly.

I have never seen modifications increase the value of any car, even ones done by well known tuning houses like Brabus, AMG, M, Renntech, etc.

Some of the early AMG cars are worth a bit more as are the M cars, but its not really common.

Throw $20k at a $30k Mustang and in a year its still a $26k car, maybe less.

The only vehicles that really ever hold their value are low production, high demand vehicles. Even than the ones kept bone stock are the most valuable. I guarantee in 20 years a Ford GT that's kept bone stock and in 100 point condition will be worth, way, way more than one that has had $100k poured into it pumping up the power.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay any extra for mods. I did buy a car once that had BBS rims, the owner wanted an extra $200 for the rims, but I told him to put the stock rims on, so rather than go through all that, he just threw them in and gave me the stock rims.

In general I stay away from cars that have mods, it just raises the purchase price and I think I hate most mods out there. I hate bigger rims, the lowered look, body kits, the murdered look, etc., I think it pretty much all looks worse. Factory is equivalent to off white paint on a house, most people might not love it, but different colors like mods means it's either a love or hate relationship. I just prefer bone stock and the lower price that goes with it. And it's all about supply and demand when it comes to sales, make too many people hate it and the number of people who love it are very small and don't create the demand for the higher price. Even those that love it know they can get the guy down lower.

Oh and while go fast pieces are nice, doesn't that just mean the car was probably flogged to within an inch of it's life and maybe won't last much longer? Everyone is sorta looking for the car that granny drove to church on Sunday not the one that was driven hard. Mods just scream lowball me, and it's funny when the ads say no low ballers.

Some starry-eyed kid might buy into your taste in mods, but his buying power and affect on the market is low. Most people won't want to touch a modified car, and deservingly so. Like Wolf359 said, everybody wants the granny driven creampuff and if they want it modded, they have their own taste in mods.

Mods that add value include: invisibly replacing weak OEM speakers with decent ones that fit cleanly in the OEM mounts, OEM enhancements like fog lights, bumper bars, roof racks, tow hitches, etc. But all in all you can drop $2500 on all these enhancements and it affects actual market value by $50-100. Adding a SatNav A/V is only a positive if the map is up to date. A 5 year old map satnav is a net negative.

I'm not just blowing wind, I have had family working in auto dealerships as far back as dealerships go in America, still do. Ask ANY used car lot guy what mods do to the value of a car, and whether they'll pay extra for them. About the only thing they'll accept is new looking, non radical alloy wheels the same size as OEM replacing steel rims. Anything beyond that and they'll deduct from an offer the cost of getting it back to OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back