Dealerships are terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Depends on your price point. When I bought my Mercedes, the dealer was cheaper than individual owners. I think most of them couldn't get over the fact that they have huge depreciation and always priced them like the dealers, but the dealers offer a warranty and private parties didn't. Plus private parties for some reason never like to post the VIN so I'd never know what options it really had, but all dealers post the vin and also have the carfax. In the end I never saw a good deal on a private party sale.

High end car owners don't know that their cars depreciated 50% in 3-4 years. They think that a lost of $20k from $60k MSRP for 3 year old E-class is too much already, but actual lost value is more like $30k and dealer priced it accordingly to move the cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Where in the world are small houses selling for $800k? I bought a 3 bedroom with a half finished basement and big lot for $135k
confused.gif

The 3 bedroom tract house next to mine with a pool and about 10 feet of land went for $888k last year. My 5 bedroom house is over $1million with no land whatsoever. A 2 bedroom apartment with the only amenity being a parking spot sold for $450k a few months ago.

As they say in real estate, location, location, location. Santa Barbra CA vs Wisconsin, no disrespect for Wisconsin, it's just not CA real estate.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Where in the world are small houses selling for $800k? I bought a 3 bedroom with a half finished basement and big lot for $135k
confused.gif

The 3 bedroom tract house next to mine with a pool and about 10 feet of land went for $888k last year. My 5 bedroom house is over $1million with no land whatsoever. A 2 bedroom apartment with the only amenity being a parking spot sold for $450k a few months ago.

1 million dollar house and driving a Mustang GT.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Absolutely right, especially considering most new vehicles these days cost as much as a small house...

Didn't know most cars sell for $800,000.

Sad thing is they bring in people to teach the sales people to do all the things people complain about. They pretty much force our sales guys to get a customer name, cell, and email and if they do not buy they want them to pretty much harass them until they buy. When I bought my Mustang and my mom bought her Fusion, we cut all the sales people out and went directly to the General Manager of the dealer. That way he did not have to pay comission to a sales person.

I said a house, not a mansion....

Originally Posted By: CKN
Work with the Internet department initially and don't waste your time going to the dealership.

When you decide on the vehicle-negotiate price with the Internet salesperson-then go to the dealership for final inspection and sign the paperwork.

This X 1000.

Nowhere near a mansion I assure you. This house in most other states would be nothing spectacular. FWIW thanks to the University of Casual Sex and Beer, my house has lost a couple hundred thousand in value due to their encroachment into the golf course that was next to my house. To give you an idea of the value jump, my grandparents purchased the house in 1968 for $33k. According to Zillow, the median sale price for my zip-code, 93117, is $764,000.

Car sales in this area are interesting. My friends that work at the dealer across the street from mine have a hard time keeping inventory on hand, that dealer sells Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover, Smart, and Acura. They said the majority of their Porsche sales are cash sales. More than once my friend sold BMW M cars to people and their bodyguard brought in a handcuffed suitcase full of cash to buy the car. I have customer that are Kuwaiti royalty and they thought nothing of putting a Raptor and a GT500 on an AMEX.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Depends on your price point. When I bought my Mercedes, the dealer was cheaper than individual owners. I think most of them couldn't get over the fact that they have huge depreciation and always priced them like the dealers, but the dealers offer a warranty and private parties didn't. Plus private parties for some reason never like to post the VIN so I'd never know what options it really had, but all dealers post the vin and also have the carfax. In the end I never saw a good deal on a private party sale.

High end car owners don't know that their cars depreciated 50% in 3-4 years. They think that a lost of $20k from $60k MSRP for 3 year old E-class is too much already, but actual lost value is more like $30k and dealer priced it accordingly to move the cars.

Yeah, it was a 6 year old E class, pretty well loaded, MSRP over 65k. After 6 years, under 20k with under 50k in miles. Some that are in the 70-90k mileage range now go for $15-$18k. A way better deal than a used Toyota or Honda.

Absolutely right, especially considering most new vehicles these days cost as much as a small house...

Sad thing is they bring in people to teach the sales people to do all the things people complain about. They pretty much force our sales guys to get a customer name, cell, and email and if they do not buy they want them to pretty much harass them until they buy. When I bought my Mustang and my mom bought her Fusion, we cut all the sales people out and went directly to the General Manager of the dealer. That way he did not have to pay comission to a sales person.

Location, location, location..........

Same thing holds true with people that modify cars. They think they can tack on the price of mods to the sale price of the car when in actually you get to add maybe 10% of the mods value and that is only if you are selling it to someone interested in buying that car.

Yeah, it was a 6 year old E class, pretty well loaded, MSRP over 65k. After 6 years, under 20k with under 50k in miles. Some that are in the 70-90k mileage range now go for $15-$18k. A way better deal than a used Toyota or Honda.

The depreciation on used Mercedes is obscene. There is a CLK430 convertible sitting at my local Ford dealer. The dealer is asking $5000 for it and it's been sitting there for at least a month now.

The best deal going right now is a CPO Mercedes. For the price of a Camry you can drive a C or E class with a nice warranty.

Nowhere near a mansion I assure you. This house in most other states would be nothing spectacular. FWIW thanks to the University of Casual Sex and Beer, my house has lost a couple hundred thousand in value due to their encroachment into the golf course that was next to my house. To give you an idea of the value jump, my grandparents purchased the house in 1968 for $33k. According to Zillow, the median sale price for my zip-code, 93117, is $764,000.

Car sales in this area are interesting. My friends that work at the dealer across the street from mine have a hard time keeping inventory on hand, that dealer sells Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover, Smart, and Acura. They said the majority of their Porsche sales are cash sales. More than once my friend sold BMW M cars to people and their bodyguard brought in a handcuffed suitcase full of cash to buy the car. I have customer that are Kuwaiti royalty and they thought nothing of putting a Raptor and a GT500 on an AMEX.

Let's be clear about "CASH SALES". Don't know about Porches specifically-but most CASH SALES for Chevys, Hondas, Toyotas and the like are coming from home equity loans or similar. There are very few "average types" who have $30,000 laying around earmarked specifically for a new car purchase. There are some yes-but most of that cash is being borrowed elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The best deal going right now is a CPO Mercedes. For the price of a Camry you can drive a C or E class with a nice warranty.

For CPO, you can also add up to 2 extra years so you can have a car with up to a 3 year warranty. The other way to go is to buy one that still has some of the 4 year 50k warranty left and just extend that out to 7 years, and depending on how much you drive, you can get coverage up to 125k.

And you're driving a Mercedes.

It's nice, I love all the gadgets and the little touches it has.

Same thing holds true with people that modify cars. They think they can tack on the price of mods to the sale price of the car when in actually you get to add maybe 10% of the mods value and that is only if you are selling it to someone interested in buying that car.

I see those all the time, guy has 10k worth of mods into the car and wants 20k but maybe if it was stock it'd be worth around 15k. I'd feel like saying "wouldn't it have been a lot easier to save that 10k and sell the car for 10k?" It'd sell in a heartbeat. But nope, can't say that on most forums, against the rules. So all you get are people who are saying great price, nice car etc., meanwhile the car sits unsold.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

He was talking about a house. Yea, it's nuts, but it is what it is.

http://www.kw.com/homes-for-sale/95118/CA/SAN-JOSE/5683--Croydon-AVE/3yd-MLSLCA-ML81459133.html

Ed

So I guess in areas where 2000 sq ft homes cost a $million, new car prices probably seem okay...to those of us who live in areas where that same house would go for $100K, new car prices seem insane by comparison...

Your favorite car is a Corolla, if I remember right. Does it cost as much as a house?

I suppose you could cherry-pick some dump in East Cleveland that's less, but those are hardly typical.

Originally Posted By: css9450

Your favorite car is a Corolla, if I remember right. Does it cost as much as a house?

I suppose you could cherry-pick some dump in East Cleveland that's less, but those are hardly typical.

My favorite car is a Corolla? That's news to me...

Originally Posted By: css9450

My favorite car is a Corolla? That's news to me...

Whatever; its not important, I just ran across a post of yours that said you liked them.

But do they cost as much as a house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back