Dealerships are terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I also had them skip the detail since I didn't want the dealer installed swirl package.

crackmeup2.gif

My GM is a true veteran in the industry, and he has worked his way up from selling cars to running dealerships. He wants the employees to go to either him or our fleet sales person. It wasn't a waste of time for him at all, he likes getting to know his employees better. We actually spent more time talking vintage F1 than the car deal. Plus he knew I was serious about the car when I gave him the stock number when I was telling him I was interested.

There are some amazing car salespeople out there. The people that take it seriously and treat is as a career are the ones to go to. The people that do it just to pay their way through school or as an in-between job are the ones to avoid.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I know 'they say' that a good salesman can sell anything-and I realize since I've been a 'car guy' might know a bit...but I've about never run into a sales type who REALLY KNEW cars. I usually have more knowledge about the products-seems like too many lazy folks to me.

I'd be good at consulting whether or not XYZ is the car for you, or the technical bits of it. But I'd never sell a car. "Well, if you have to finance, do you want to go down to the base model?". That would offend people.

Anyway, a few years ago, when I was going to buy a car, I found a base model 2009 Versa on a dealer lot. It was severely overpriced (priced at $12K - was $9990 new - base model with no radio). I asked the salesguy if he knew whether or not it had a timing chain. He opened the hood, pointed to the serp. belt and said timing belt ...

I suppose you could call a dealership and ask the receptionist who you should ask for when you get there, and when he is in. There's usually one sales person that knows his stuff and has lots of repeat business. Even that guy may not know the differences between all the AWD/4WD systems on the lot.
Really, if you have technical questions you are probably much better off doing your own research online.
I bought the Tracker off a new guy though who wanted to help and did his best to give us his lowest price. He wasn't there even a few months later though.
An experienced salesman would've kept some rebate money off the deal just to see if I'd notice and would've happily pocketed it if I didn't.

I hate going to the dealerships.

I especially love it when sales people try to talk all mechanically minded and half the things they say are wrong. Makes me laugh inside.

My Dad purchased an '06 F150 a few years back and when at the dealer he started it and I could hear something was clearly wrong with the exhaust in the engine bay. This is what the sales guy said word for word "It happens on all 5.4's after 60K miles". I literally laughed in his face and told him he was full of it. Dad bought it anyways. Few months later...new exhaust manifold. It was not cheap either.

If you're shopping for the best price, the best thing to do is know exactly what you want, the dealers cost, and what people are paying for it. Deal with the internet salesman and spell out exactly what you want, making sure there are no doc fees, or any other hidden costs to drive up the price, get an OTD price from him. Tell him you're shopping price and he only has one shot at it. Some might not even reply, be patient, most dealerships aren't willing to give that out in an email. But if you press you'll get a price. If they try and play games when you fill out the paperwork get up and walk out. Leave as little as possible on a credit card for a deposit. Buying at the end of the month is always a good idea too, people are hungry to make quotas and bonuses. Once you know the tricks it isn't that bad.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Absolutely right, especially considering most new vehicles these days cost as much as a small house...

Didn't know most cars sell for $800,000.

Sad thing is they bring in people to teach the sales people to do all the things people complain about. They pretty much force our sales guys to get a customer name, cell, and email and if they do not buy they want them to pretty much harass them until they buy. When I bought my Mustang and my mom bought her Fusion, we cut all the sales people out and went directly to the General Manager of the dealer. That way he did not have to pay comission to a sales person.
Where in the world are small houses selling for $800k? I bought a 3 bedroom with a half finished basement and big lot for $135k
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Time to retire the ol' K1500.

I've been to nearly all the dealerships in my area: Chevy, Ford, Subaru, Honda, etc. etc. I won't go into a Chrysler store, no way.

But anyway, I'm so tired of the same routine. The sales people in all the dealerships are either or high-energy and ignorant of the products they are trying to sell OR they are almost non-existent and don't seem interested in selling you a car anyways.

What is going on? How can the 6 or 7 dealerships in my rural area all be so bad?

Then I found this article today: http://time.com/money/3826562/buying-cars-online-hate-car-dealerships/

I'm not sure this is the answer, but if you work for a dealership to sell cars, why not be an informed salesman and have some tact when someone walks into your shop looking to drop $30-50k?

It could simply be the region or the labor pool they can draw from, but frustrating any way you look at it.

I went out of state for the Outback in my signature. I experienced some of what you noted in your post, in varying degrees, plus the prices were higher than online and not flexible in the least. Then I found out about Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs. Gave them a call, talked to Tommy and was quoted prices around $2000-$2500 less than anywhere else I had found in the country. So long story short bought from them and drove it home. Cost of plane ticket, gas, and hotels still left me with a huge savings. PM me if you want more info.

I have seen on a couple forums there is a Ford dealer in IN or OH that has the best prices in the US. Cannot recall the name at the moment but will see if I can find the reference.

Last edited:
I will not step foot in a dealership.Private sale only for me.Heck,if the salvage yard had a decent vehicle I would shop there too!! No high pressure tactics here..

Some dealers are terrible and some decent. However I only buy cars every 7-9 years from the places that are "pleasant"

Sales "persons" know what most car buyers ask about. What color can I get and can you get the payment down to "X" a month. Most people who ask mechanical questions already know the answer and for some reason need to show how smart they are by stumping the salesman. They are PIMA customers, for whom the salesman has no time. If they DO answer it's often just [censored]. Walk into a Volvo, Audi, or BMW dealer and you announce you aren't looking at a Chevy of Ford, and you will PAY for that tip off.
If you really want to read about it, Edmunds commissioned a writer to get hired by car dealers as a salesman and write about it. Google "Confessions of a car salesman", and don't walk into a stealership without reading it.
Recently, a plaid pants wearing lowlife sought to convince my 92 year old mother that her 4 year old Camry with 18K on it might break down on her at any time and she "better" trade it in. We have bought a number of Toyota products from that place, but they will sell us no more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Where in the world are small houses selling for $800k? I bought a 3 bedroom with a half finished basement and big lot for $135k
confused.gif

The 3 bedroom tract house next to mine with a pool and about 10 feet of land went for $888k last year. My 5 bedroom house is over $1million with no land whatsoever. A 2 bedroom apartment with the only amenity being a parking spot sold for $450k a few months ago.

Just a few months ago when I was cross shopping a Prius to the Mazda3. I was serious enough about buying the Prius that I gave the salesman my phone number to call me if he could come up with a better deal than what was presented to me after an hour of haggling.

I ended up getting the Mazda3 a couple days later. The Toyota salesman called the day after I got my Mazda and left a voicemail that he could come down on price. I called back and left a message with the receptionist that I bought a car last evening, and thanked him for his time and efforts.

He calls back and leaves me a voicemail saying "Hey buddy, thanks for wasting my [censored] time, hello you there?' then he hangs up.

I went straight to the general manager and played the voicemail message to him on speaker phone. The general manager literally begged me not to leave a bad review on Yelp or on Google.

Its funny, I logged on today for the sole purpose of telling about my dealership experience earlier today.

Wife's car is at the Hyundai service center for recall work. The dealership is a combined hyundai/subaru shop so I asked my wife if we could look at the Subaru while we were there.

Anyway, sales guy was very friendly and not crazy but... So he kept saying the engines were Porche boxer engines. I asked if traction control was standard. After explaining what traction control is he essentially told me (not using these words) that all Subarus come with a differential.

I have gone with several of my friends dealership shopping and the salespeople never know even the basics.

confused.gif

The 3 bedroom tract house next to mine with a pool and about 10 feet of land went for $888k last year. My 5 bedroom house is over $1million with no land whatsoever. A 2 bedroom apartment with the only amenity being a parking spot sold for $450k a few months ago.

Santa Barbara is expensive place to live. There is no house in Newport Beach(2-3 blocks from the sands) for less than $1 mil.

Almost any city along the coast in So Cal is not cheap. A million can buy much here.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
confused.gif

Santa Barbara is expensive place to live. There is no house in Newport Beach(2-3 blocks from the sands) for less than $1 mil.

Almost any city along the coast in So Cal is not cheap. A million can buy much here.
That's nuts. I could almost buy my whole city block for that.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I will not step foot in a dealership.Private sale only for me.Heck,if the salvage yard had a decent vehicle I would shop there too!! No high pressure tactics here..

Depends on your price point. When I bought my Mercedes, the dealer was cheaper than individual owners. I think most of them couldn't get over the fact that they have huge depreciation and always priced them like the dealers, but the dealers offer a warranty and private parties didn't. Plus private parties for some reason never like to post the VIN so I'd never know what options it really had, but all dealers post the vin and also have the carfax. In the end I never saw a good deal on a private party sale.

I generally don't concern myself with a salesman's line of garbage. I already know what I want, have researched it, and am aware of current market value. Tell 'em what you're willing to pay and do the deal or leave.

confused.gif

Here in the Tx DFW area,you can get a 2000-3000 sq ft 3 br house behind the country club for $130-$140k. Big yard,established trees,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back