Dealership service experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: highmilegeguy
You can't blame the service writer for that nonsense.

Those working stiffs are under alot of pressure to make their weekly or monthly sales numbers and if they don't one too many times, its goodbye charlie.
Its underhanded but guys are just trying to make a living so don't take it personal from the little guy. Get angry at the guy whos name is on the sign. Hes the one who demands people give up their scruples for a wage.

^^^This! Been working at a dealership parts department since 1996 and whenever the subject of more pay comes up, the answer is always the same...."You want more money, then sell more parts!" We are paid a minimal salary and a monthly commission based on profit for the month. With all the competition, most of the parts are sold wholesale, and at a horrible profit margin, we are expected to make up the difference in volume.
If I could get into a decent factory with good benefits, I would be gone tomorrow!

In fact, our commossion does not even count for the first $30,000 of the profit for the month, only on everything after that, which usually ends up around $25,000 on an average month, of which we earn 2%.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I had a very unusual dealer routine service experience on my Toyota in Auburn CA last week.

The service adviser met me as I got out of the car, said he would get the information while I checked in inside. Walked right up to the counter and gave that guy my name. He printed out the sheet showing what service I needed. It agreed exactly with the manual, no upsell attempts.

Got a free shuttle ride to a nearby restaurant, had breakfast, had the shuttle pick me up.

Car was done when I got back, charge was $0.00 since it was a "freebie" when I bought the car.

Next oil change due sticker in the windshield was for the factory recommended interval instead of the common 3k mile interval many dealers push.

I addition to the unusual behavior listed above, everyone was courteous and friendly.

What is wrong with those people? Don't they realize they have car dealership's service departments reputations to uphold?

That mirrors the treatment I receive from both my Mazda and BMW dealer. Just lucky, I suppose...

In general I have had fewer problems with independent shops than with dealerships. But you need to know your mechanic personally. Going to a dealership and working with a guy you do not know will cause a problem eventually. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I love my Isuzu dealer. They've always done right by me. Never any attempts to upsell, services are according to the manual, check my timing belt for free (told me I was fine). Changed oil with my oil and filter, moved magnets on the new filter. I tell them what I want to be done, they do it, if it is not necessary for whatever reason, they'll tell me that.
Go Morrison Auto Group.

Originally Posted By: rat
Originally Posted By: highmilegeguy
You can't blame the service writer for that nonsense.

Those working stiffs are under alot of pressure to make their weekly or monthly sales numbers and if they don't one too many times, its goodbye charlie.
Its underhanded but guys are just trying to make a living so don't take it personal from the little guy. Get angry at the guy whos name is on the sign. Hes the one who demands people give up their scruples for a wage.

^^^This! Been working at a dealership parts department since 1996 and whenever the subject of more pay comes up, the answer is always the same...."You want more money, then sell more parts!" We are paid a minimal salary and a monthly commission based on profit for the month. With all the competition, most of the parts are sold wholesale, and at a horrible profit margin, we are expected to make up the difference in volume.
If I could get into a decent factory with good benefits, I would be gone tomorrow!

So, you should push un-needed services on people who might not know better?

OK...you're absolved....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back