dealer used non spec oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dealer is a Chrysler/Ford dealership. I've been doing free changes that came as part of my purchase of 2016 Ram. I was filing the paperwork and 1st. 2 changes were PYB 5w-20. The last 2 were XO5w-20QSP which is Motorcraft semi blend and does not meet Chrysler MS-6395. I am not concerned about the oil as I think it's a very good oil, but if I had done this and had an issue it could be grounds to deny warranty as owners manual clearly states only MS-6395 oil should be used.

I've used up my free changes and will be using PP. I think I'm going to keep quiet and if something does go wrong, I'll drag out the paperwork.

If there was an issue in the future and Dodge didn't want to cover the warranty claim, the dealership would then be on the hook for the cost, since it was their error. So I wouldn't worry.

The MS-6395 spec is pretty weak anyhow and most oils probably meet it but they just are not paying to put it on their label. That's my opinion. I use Mobil 1 oils in the wife's Grand Cherokee Overland and in my new Ram Limited Hemi 5.7. It doesn't say the spec is met on the M1 label but we all know the oil is more than qualified.

Free oil changes usually mean cheaper oil. Now that you have those out of the way, change your own so you know exactly what is in the sump and that the job was done right.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The MS-6395 spec is pretty weak anyhow and most oils probably meet it but they just are not paying to put it on their label. That's my opinion. I use Mobil 1 oils in the wife's Grand Cherokee Overland and in my new Ram Limited Hemi 5.7. It doesn't say the spec is met on the M1 label but we all know the oil is more than qualified.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back