Dealer bent AC lines

I went to have the rear valve cover gaskets replaced on my car at my dealer.

A few days after I got my car back, I noticed they bent this AC line wayyy out of shape. I’m pissed off. Especially since there was no reason to touch these lines. There’s plenty of videos with people doing this job and without ever getting close to the AC lines.

Would you be comfortable having the dealer bend this line back to its bracket? Or would you insist the entire line be replaced?

Personally I’m worried bending the line back will weaken it and then it’ll crack over time.

Pic the night before I took it to the dealer
BC70F998-AF31-4E90-98CC-A972F0989638.jpeg

Pic after I got car back
91CBD07A-E90E-432D-B74A-0D6DF0F59DB6.jpeg

Have it noted by the dealership. Forcing them to fix it would be my first inclination, but I would have to watch to make sure they don't screw something up on spite. If you can easily fix it do that after you have the dealer make a notation,

Edit: "Fix" as in a simple bend. Not replace the line.

Last edited:
If I had a picture as proof the dealer would be replacing the line. In my line of work, if I break it I buy it. I'd be holding the dealership to those same standards. Be prepared for them to swear up and down they didn't do it, and if you do have them replace the line I would make sure to watch so they don't mess something up on spite.
For them to replace this line, that would mean they’d have to replace the low pressure and high pressure lines going to the condenser as they are all tied together.

If they already screwed up something else while fixing something, They might break something again repairing this.

For them to replace this line, that would mean they’d have to replace the low pressure and high pressure lines going to the condenser as they are all tied together.

If they already screwed up something else while fixing something, They might break something again repairing this.
That's sad, that we have to fear them screwing something else up to replace something they screwed up. That's why I suggested letting the dealer make a note and trying to "fix" it himself. To clarify "fix" as in a simple bend if possible, not replacing the line. I edited my original comment to clarify.

I would let them fix it. If you bend it back and something goes wrong then you compound the problem.

I’m not even sure why they had to touch that line?

Given the two pics you’ve posted, it’s difficult for me to ascertain the actual proximity of the line in question to the valve cover gasket serviced. However saying “there was no reason to touch these lines.” strikes me as hyperbole.

If you choose to go talk to them about this, you should refrain from being hyperbolic, as it will not benefit your position in the discussion.

Also, referencing the content of online videos that detail this service is unwise in my opinion. They aren’t using YouTube videos as reference for what to do, nor should they.

Comparing their procedures to those of a DIY’er found online could be construed as you demeaning their knowledge and training, and that certainly won’t be to your benefit in obtaining a resolution here.

It's odd that the felt above the top AC line in the "after" pic is so much more torn up compared to the first picture. Does the valve cover job involve getting into this area on the firewall?

It's a very good possibility that if you bring it to their attention to be corrected, they'll simply straighten it and not replace it.
Ain't no way they would replace that for just a bent line. Between the parts and the labor, probably over $300 at dealer cost. As I posted before, they wouldn't do anything after cracking the dash in my Silverado after doing an airbag recall.

If that’s a Cadillac V8 transverse mounted engine...I’d be happy that’s all that happened for “damage”. That valve cover is a bear to get out.

I wouldn’t worry one bit about that line bent slightly out of the bracket, just bend it back if it worries you that much. Or take it back and have them bend it back.

I know when people take a car to a dealer they expect perfection but it’s just not always possible on some repairs.

If that’s a Cadillac V8 transverse mounted engine...I’d be happy that’s all that happened for “damage”. That valve cover is a bear to get out.

I wouldn’t worry one bit about that line bent slightly out of the bracket, just bend it back if it worries you that much. Or take it back and have them bend it back.

I know when people take a car to a dealer they expect perfection but it’s just not always possible on some repairs.

Is it a pain to get out? Maybe. Does that mean the only way to remove the cover is by bending AC lines? NO.

I knew they wouldn't do a perfect job. That's why I took pictures of the engine bay. I knew there were things that could go wrong such as:

Breaking a Nylon PCV hose,
Cracking the AIR check valve hose,
Breaking a stud on the AIR check valve,
Losing some bolts.

But they're a Cadillac dealer with all the resources to do this job properly. And this is not an uncommon repair. Let's say they followed the official service guide on how to do this job, Nowhere does it say "bend High pressure AC line"

There are several youtube videos of people doing this job themselves and NONE of them bend the AC lines. One person even removes the rear valvetrain and STILL doesn't bend the AC line there.

If I'm bringing it to a dealer, they're supposed to do the job right. They have a high labor rate, all these expensive resources and technical documentation, yet choose to do the job worse than a "shade tree mechanic". What the dealer did was a hack job.

I would have done it myself, But I paid for a GM extended warranty that covers this and the warranty would expire soon. If I'd known they'd disturb these lines, I would have never brought my car there.

They should have at least tried to put it back as cleanly as possible and in the bracket. A slight bend in the line, okay, but the bracket is just dangling. That's sloppy work. Personally, I'd try to bend it back myself and never go back. If they send you a Dealer Rater text or whatever, post your experience.

Unfortunately dealer service doesn't really guarantee anything. Sometimes there's a guy who can diagnose anything and does meticulous work, but more often than not dealer service departments tend to be a joke. Last week my coworker told the shop foreman "maybe when someone comes in you should just give them $100 and tell them to leave," I almost lost it.

Back