Dealer acquisition dept. wants to purchase a vehicle I’m selling privately.

When I pull that car up on blackbook and change my region settings to your area, it retails for 15,575 (rough) up to 19,600 (extra clean). It’s wholesale values are 11,475 (rough) up to 15,475 (extra clean).
Wholesale values are what dealers are paying at auction and they are paying up to extra clean on real nice cars that are pretty much front line ready. It seems to me that they are offering you a very fair deal from a dealers perspective. With that said, I would shoot for another $500.

When I pull that car up on blackbook and change my region settings to your area, it retails for 15,575 (rough) up to 19,600 (extra clean). It’s wholesale values are 11,475 (rough) up to 15,475 (extra clean).
Wholesale values are what dealers are paying at auction and they are paying up to extra clean on real nice cars that are pretty much front line ready. It seems to me that they are offering you a very fair deal from a dealers perspective. With that said, I would shoot for another $500.
Good info to be equipped with. Thank you

Tell the 16,500 firm. They’re gonna mark that sucker up big time.
Try Carmax if there is one near you. They gave my friend stupid money for his 328i.

I would happily take the $15,000 from the dealer without question. It avoids having to deal with the randoms that will just want to drive it around the block and haggle over every little thing. The dealer's offer is already $6,000 more than what was originally paid for the car. Trying to eke out another $500 just doesn't seem like it is worth the hassle. Take your 67% capital gain and walk away smiling.

The advice to get some bids from the other places is a solid one.

Might just be worth it to see where they are.

If nothing more, you know a private sale offering of a thousand or two above that is in the ballpark.

The problem here is your car is not in the typical private seller price range.

So you might be waiting a while to find a buyer at your price.

What are your costs for insurance, are tags or taxes due, etc? At some point, it becomes smart to take the money that is out there on the table in front of you. Only you can decide. We can share some things to consider. You get the honor of choosing :)

I wish you well in your pursuit.

The advice to get some bids from the other places is a solid one.

Might just be worth it to see where they are.

If nothing more, you know a private sale offering of a thousand or two above that is in the ballpark.

The problem here is your car is not in the typical private seller price range.

So you might be waiting a while to find a buyer at your price.

What are your costs for insurance, are tags or taxes due, etc? At some point, it becomes smart to take the money that is out there on the table in front of you. Only you can decide. We can share some things to consider. You get the honor of choosing :)

I wish you well in your pursuit.
Solid advice. The car costs me very little to own as I can still drive it from time to time when needed. Within the next 5k-7k miles new tires will be needed as they will all be at the wear indicator and below at that point. Oil changes , brakes and detail I do myself. Taxes are only collected once here in MD when the vehicle is purchased. Same goes for the safety inspection.

I agree that this isn’t the typical buyer that’s looking for a Accord, Camry , Corolla, etc.

The Cadillac is for a buyer that wants that car!

The only reason I bought it was because it was a good deal for me and I saw value in it.

It drives well for what it is, it has been well cared for by me and the previous owner so someone will get a good looking car if that’s the path they choose to take.

They’ve agreed to $15,500 over the phone. Let’s see what happens once I’m there…

Last edited:
I would happily take the $15,000 from the dealer without question. It avoids having to deal with the randoms that will just want to drive it around the block and haggle over every little thing. The dealer's offer is already $6,000 more than what was originally paid for the car. Trying to eke out another $500 just doesn't seem like it is worth the hassle. Take your 67% capital gain and walk away smiling.
I’m not too worried about these people as I usually filter them out through the phone before they even come out and if I miss something over the phone I feel very comfortable with them in person.

Sold my lease car recently back to the dealer.
Residual was $9200
Dealer paid me $15,900 and it needed a windshield.
I made $6700.
Dealer listed it on their web site for $19,700 no haggle,no dealer handling fees.
It sold with in a week.
Win win for me and the dealer.
I did not have to replace this car,I had another paid for one.
And no I had no interest in selling it privately,too much brain damage.

I’m not too worried about these people as I usually filter them out through the phone before they even come out and if I miss something over the phone I feel very comfortable with them in person.
Years ago I listed an old Honda Accord that was beat to death but it ran for $500 on Craig's list.
10 people made appointments to see the car and none showed up,the final straw was one that wanted to make payments but needed the title signed over before it was paid for.
Sold it to the junk yard for $300, the tow truck showed up on time and handed me cash.

Years ago I listed an old Honda Accord that was beat to death but it ran for $500 on Craig's list.
10 people made appointments to see the car and none showed up,the final straw was one that wanted to make payments but needed the title signed over before it was paid for.
Sold it to the junk yard for $300, the tow truck showed up on time and handed me cash.
You would probably have a bidding war in todays market. I do understand dealing with people today isn’t for everyone and do see the value in trading the car in for some.

Back